Fixing clutches on old Arcos Road Skis?

Old May 15th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

Default Fixing clutches on old Arcos Road Skis?

It looks like my untested Arcos Road Skis---3 wheelers---don't have
good clutches after all.

As I said in a previous post, it looked like these skis were quite
fresh even though old. Like whoever had them years ago didn't use them
hardly at all.

Are these readily serviced by any chance? Any likely culprit?

I'm hoping for a happy ending---like maybe old hardened grease being
the culprit.

--JP

Old May 16th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
ADK Skier

On May 15, 4:27 pm, "Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)"
wrote:
It looks like my untested Arcos Road Skis---3 wheelers---don't have
good clutches after all.

As I said in a previous post, it looked like these skis were quite
fresh even though old. Like whoever had them years ago didn't use them
hardly at all.

Are these readily serviced by any chance? Any likely culprit?

I'm hoping for a happy ending---like maybe old hardened grease being
the culprit.

--JP

Potter where have you been? You are the man. You and I use to write
tons of stuff here. It's good to see you are at it. Reliable Racing in
Queensbury, New York was way ahead of everyone with roller skiing.
Hell they were making the 3 wheelers for Bill Koch and the Caldwells
in the 1970's. Tom Jacobs who started Reliable Racing could probably
answer your question, but he's retired and his heir apparent "son of"
isn' really committed to the Nordic tradition like his dad was.
However, Senior had a really good manager at Reliable Racing for years
who handled all the nordic roller skis. His name is Steve Kvinlaug and
has been head honcho at Alpina in N.H. for many years. I will contact
a friend of his and ask for his email. He could answer questions for
you and probably tell you some funny stories from the old days of 3
wheel roller skiing.

Old May 17th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gary Jacobson

"Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)" wrote in
message oups.com...
It looks like my untested Arcos Road Skis---3 wheelers---don't have
good clutches after all.

As I said in a previous post, it looked like these skis were quite
fresh even though old. Like whoever had them years ago didn't use them
hardly at all.

Are these readily serviced by any chance? Any likely culprit?

I'm hoping for a happy ending---like maybe old hardened grease being
the culprit.

--JP

I think that sewing machine oil would fix those clutches. Also make sure
that the nut is tight enough. I think that you are barking up the right tree
when you think about gunked up lube in there.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY