ride flat, without an edge.

Old February 12th 04, 05:03 AM
=JT=

Default ride flat, without an edge.

I have been having trouble going flat and straight on my board. i am
unable to be stable when i point the board straight ahead and go
totally flat. i always have to keep a slight heal or toe edge. if i
do go flat it seems that my back wants to come around and then i catch
an edge and take a tumble. is this normal? do most of you also have
to keep a slight edge when bombing a run? I ride a Palmer Honeycomb
165. Thanks for any help.
Old February 12th 04, 05:55 AM
Dmitry

"=JT=" wrote

I have been having trouble going flat and straight on my board. i am
unable to be stable when i point the board straight ahead and go
totally flat. i always have to keep a slight heal or toe edge. if i
do go flat it seems that my back wants to come around and then i catch
an edge and take a tumble. is this normal?

I'd try to change binding angle on the back leg. Do you feel your stance is
comfortable while just riding flat?

Old February 12th 04, 05:59 AM
tlf

I have been having trouble going flat and straight on my board. i am
unable to be stable when i point the board straight ahead and go
totally flat. i always have to keep a slight heal or toe edge. if i
do go flat it seems that my back wants to come around and then i catch
an edge and take a tumble. is this normal? do most of you also have
to keep a slight edge when bombing a run? I ride a Palmer Honeycomb
165. Thanks for any help.

Keep your weight forward and use the fall line...Once you have a good feel
for the edges, you will become more confident screaming down the hill flat
on your board not to mention edges are your worst enemy on the flats... It
helps to practice on nice smooth groomers...

Old February 12th 04, 10:26 AM
copek

"=JT=" wrote in message
om...
I have been having trouble going flat and straight on my board. i am
unable to be stable when i point the board straight ahead and go
totally flat. i always have to keep a slight heal or toe edge. if i
do go flat it seems that my back wants to come around and then i catch
an edge and take a tumble. is this normal? do most of you also have
to keep a slight edge when bombing a run? I ride a Palmer Honeycomb
165. Thanks for any help.

i just got riding flat sorted this year. for me it was all about being
relaxed with well bent knees. 'loose and low' or 'marshmallow legs' are
other descitptions i've heard.

the back of your board coming round - are you facing foward with your upper
body? (ie twisting at the waist?) this twisting could be whats causing it.
on an edge its ok as there's something to resist the twisting forces, but
with the base flat your lower body (and therefore board) is able to try and
align itself with your upper body, hence the board coming round.

so basically :

ride loose. if you're legs are bent and relaxed (acting as rubbery springs
between your body and the board) the board can bounce off ruts and ridges in
the snow and not catch an edge. if you're tense, the stiffness in you legs
and body will be transmitted into the snow through your board and force it
into these same ruts and you'll end up catching an edge.

ride aligned with your bindings (what ever angle they are). that way you
are only steering the board with your feet, knees and hips.

another good tip i got was that there are degrees of being on edge. - you
dont have to be carving/side slipping to be on an edge. try riding
basically flat, but very very slightly favouring (almost in your mind) your
toes or heels. this can be enough to stop the board catching.

not that i know what i'm talking about, but this is what helped me! hope
you find it useful ...

Old February 12th 04, 01:18 PM
=JT=

"Dmitry" wrote in message news:ZyEWb.12249$uV3.29692@attbi_s51...
"=JT=" wrote

I have been having trouble going flat and straight on my board. i am
unable to be stable when i point the board straight ahead and go
totally flat. i always have to keep a slight heal or toe edge. if i
do go flat it seems that my back wants to come around and then i catch
an edge and take a tumble. is this normal?

I'd try to change binding angle on the back leg. Do you feel your stance is
comfortable while just riding flat?

my stance is 30 front 0 back, which is comfortable for me.
Old February 12th 04, 02:27 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

"tlf" wrote in

Keep your weight forward and use the fall line...Once you have a
good feel for the edges, you will become more confident screaming
down the hill flat on your board not to mention edges are your
worst enemy on the flats... It helps to practice on nice smooth
groomers...

Can I totally disagree with you (and others) about riding flat?
IMHO one should *alwyas* ride on an edge. Keeping a slight edge
will a) never result in you catching an edge and b) never result
in you being out of control.

And as far as riding on edge in the flats... try waxing your board
yourself. I regularly pass skiiers on traverses, and I always ride
with a slight toe edge, unless there is enough powder on the
flat that small edges would not even engage. The challenge is not
in keeping the speed, but avoiding the people you are trying to
pass!

mike
Old February 12th 04, 03:14 PM
toddjb

"tlf" wrote in message news:nDEWb.291861$na.450252@attbi_s04...
I have been having trouble going flat and straight on my board. i am
unable to be stable when i point the board straight ahead and go
totally flat.

Keep your weight forward and use the fall line...Once you have a good feel
for the edges, you will become more confident screaming down the hill flat
on your board not to mention edges are your worst enemy on the flats... It
helps to practice on nice smooth groomers...

As you get used to this it also helps to apply pressure to one edge
or the other. So, you're not on an edge, but one is clearly your control
edge if you have to adjust to terrain. This will help you when terrain
does grab an edge and threatens to tumble you.

Board flat. Slight edge pressure. Try it.
Old February 12th 04, 03:23 PM
Mike T

I have been having trouble going flat and straight on my board.

In addition to all the riding technique comments by others on this
thread... some things you can do to your board to make it less prone to
this behavior.

1) Detune edges the tip and tail.

2) Check the flatness of your base. If you have a concave base, riding
flat will be a real problem. A base grind from a *knowledgeable* shop
would fix that. One indication that you base is concave is that when
you wax, your iron makes a nasty scraping sound and catches when it
comes to the edge.

3) If your tip and tail are detuned and your base is not concave, a
little base-edge bevel will help a bit too.

Mike T

Old February 12th 04, 04:22 PM
Ace

It helps to practice on nice smooth groomers...

I agree. Practicing on groomed trails makes this a whole lot easier.