who hold patents on rollerskis?

Old July 26th 03, 08:28 PM
revyakin

Default who hold patents on rollerskis?

Allright, I'll try to shoot for the "most werid post" list.

Many companies make rollerskis. Their products all look the same to
me, in general - shafts with wheels. Some have speed reducers (Elpex,
Start, V2). Some even have inflatable tires (v2, and skiskett makes an
inflatable model). Some have flex frames. But it's all the same stuff
in the long run, even though each company tries to tell you that their
wheeled shafts are the best

I was wondering what legal issues does a company go through when it
introduces a rollerski product. Or is the market so small that nobody
really cares? Or is it that patenting "a wheel on a shaft" is like
claiming ownership of the sky?
Old July 26th 03, 09:42 PM
Ken Roberts

I think I remember seeing a poster about 100 years old of people skating on
things with two inflatable wheels, so I'd be rather surprised if there were
any patents in force any more about anything that basic.

Might be some patents on designs for speed-reducers or brakes or steering.

Ken

Old July 27th 03, 01:32 AM
Gary Jacobson

I've been told that Jenex has many, many patents.

I am totally unfamiliar with patent law, but I figure based on what I've
been told about the number of Jenex patents, that an application of an
existing idea or device may be patented if it is used in a unique way. But
then maybe Jenex (and other brands) have many tiny details that I don't see.
Even their most sophisticated skis do look like alum. shafts with wheels and
a bunch of levers and bearings.

GJ