Les Contamines-Montjoie ?

Old December 2nd 03, 01:08 PM
glen shues

Default Les Contamines-Montjoie ?

I have found a holiday to Les Contamines-Montjoie on 8th feb 2004 for £260
each
I just wanted your opinion on the place i have been skiing a few times, my
girlfriend once so we want beginner to intermidiate skiing just wondered
what the snow is like that time of year and the quality of the resort

cheers

Old December 2nd 03, 02:34 PM
Steve Haigh

glen shues wrote:

I have found a holiday to Les Contamines-Montjoie on 8th feb 2004 for £260
each
I just wanted your opinion on the place i have been skiing a few times, my
girlfriend once so we want beginner to intermidiate skiing just wondered
what the snow is like that time of year and the quality of the resort

I've only skied there a couple of days but I liked it a lot. It's a
great little place and the odds are the snow will be good in Feb (as
good as anywhere). There is some great skiing there, the area isn't huge
but it's big enough and close enough to other resorts for the odd trip
out (E.g. St Gervais or even Chamonix). For (early)intermediates it
seems a good choice, and the price looks good for Feb (you didn't say
what this covers though, so I could be wrong:-).

I don't know about the village as I didn't stay there, but it seems to
get a good write up. Oh, and the views of Mont Blanc are fantastic!

Things may have changed since I skied there but it was pretty quiet
then, no queues at all in fact, but that was very early season. Have a
look on the web for more info (skiclub.co.uk etc).

Old December 2nd 03, 02:55 PM
Ace

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:08:34 +0000 (UTC), "glen shues"
wrote:

I have found a holiday to Les Contamines-Montjoie on 8th feb 2004 for £260
each
I just wanted your opinion on the place i have been skiing a few times, my
girlfriend once so we want beginner to intermidiate skiing just wondered
what the snow is like that time of year and the quality of the resort

Never stayed in the village but it's supposed to be quite a charming
little resort. I have have skied there from St. Gervais a couple of
times. It also links with Megeve and St. Nicolas so there's a fair
amount of piste and off-piste skiing available. Certainly should be
ample for your mix of abilities.

That time of year's probably about the best bet for snow - most of the
skiing's above 1600m so you should be fairly safe.

Check the Which guide on the Ski Club website (in my sig) for more
info.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old December 3rd 03, 02:17 PM
Clive Perry

"Ace" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:08:34 +0000 (UTC), "glen shues"

Never stayed in the village but it's supposed to be quite a charming
little resort. I have have skied there from St. Gervais a couple of
times. It also links with Megeve and St. Nicolas so there's a fair
amount of piste and off-piste skiing available. Certainly should be
ample for your mix of abilities.

We used to ski at Les Contamines a lot in the late 80's and early 90's as it
was close to Geneva and fairly snow sure compared to some of the other
smaller ski areas off the A/R Blanche - I don't recall there being links to
Megeve and/or St. Gervais.

However, I do remember being able to look down on Megeve from the top of one
of the drag lifts - have the link lifts been installed recently?

Clive

Old December 3rd 03, 02:36 PM
Ace

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:17:22 +0000 (UTC), "Clive Perry"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .

It also links with Megeve and St. Nicolas so there's a fair
amount of piste and off-piste skiing available. Certainly should be
ample for your mix of abilities.

We used to ski at Les Contamines a lot in the late 80's and early 90's as it
was close to Geneva and fairly snow sure compared to some of the other
smaller ski areas off the A/R Blanche - I don't recall there being links to
Megeve and/or St. Gervais.

However, I do remember being able to look down on Megeve from the top of one
of the drag lifts - have the link lifts been installed recently?

Well I'm not sure about recently. I first skied over from St. Nicolas
anout six years ago, then on another occasion from St. Gervais a year
or two later. I don't recall the lift system looking particularly new.

Thinking about it I'm not 100% certain there's a skiable link with
Megeve, so that may be what's causing the confusion.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 3rd 03, 03:00 PM
Ian Spare

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 16:36:30 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:17:22 +0000 (UTC), "Clive Perry"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Megeve, St Gervais and St Nicolas are all part of the same area but
there's no official link to Les Contamines. It's possible to hike over
Mt Joly to Veleray and vice-versa but not especially interesting.

There's a bus between Les Contamines and St Gervais though but I'm not
sure how frequent it is, in a car it's about 10 mins.

All good stations though, good skiing and not as renowned as they
ought to be. Not much in the way of nightlife if you want more than
bars and restaurants.

Ian

--
Yeah, because you never know when the value of 2^15 will change and
you have to go through all your code fixing it.