Skiing glaciers?

Old December 2nd 03, 08:22 AM
Simon Brown

Default Skiing glaciers?

Oh,

Be careful - Flims-Laax-Falera did away with red/blue/black some years ago
and now describe the type of piste rather than how difficult it is. Wouldn't
surprise me if this changes again soon...

Very warm here now - 12C, lovely sunny weather, snow melting like crazy.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:43:15 +0100, Ace wrote:

It's only France and Spain (including Andorra) that have four grades.

Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, and the Scandinavian ski areas
all only have Blue Red and Black.

Old December 2nd 03, 08:32 AM
Ace

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:22:23 +0100, "Simon Brown"
wrote:

Oh,

Be careful - Flims-Laax-Falera did away with red/blue/black some years ago
and now describe the type of piste rather than how difficult it is. Wouldn't
surprise me if this changes again soon...

I quite liked the idea, although the piste markings and signings
themselves were not so hot. It does seem to make a lot of sense to
mark areas as 'beginners' 'carving' 'freeride' etc., particularly with
the latter also having an 'extra-hard' rating where appropriate.

Nowhere else seems to have followed suit though, so it doesn't seem to
be in any danger of catching on.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old December 2nd 03, 08:57 AM
Ian Spare

wrote:

Oh,

Be careful - Flims-Laax-Falera did away with red/blue/black some years ago
and now describe the type of piste rather than how difficult it is. Wouldn't
surprise me if this changes again soon...

I quite liked the idea, although the piste markings and signings
themselves were not so hot. It does seem to make a lot of sense to
mark areas as 'beginners' 'carving' 'freeride' etc., particularly with
the latter also having an 'extra-hard' rating where appropriate.

Nowhere else seems to have followed suit though, so it doesn't seem to
be in any danger of catching on.

They could go for a British style of grades, similar to the way boots
and skis are sold, that'd start at expert and go up to something like
godlike where black would have been.

Ian

--
Yeah, because you never know when the value of 2^15 will change and
you have to go through all your code fixing it.
Old December 2nd 03, 02:31 PM
Roger deLux

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
Oh,

Be careful - Flims-Laax-Falera did away with red/blue/black some years ago
and now describe the type of piste rather than how difficult it is.

Wouldn't
surprise me if this changes again soon...

They went back to blue, red and black on the piste maps last season. That's
the trouble when you know the place like the back of your hand - you never
look at the maps!!

Roger

Old December 3rd 03, 06:04 PM
Steve Haigh

wrote:

Oh,

Be careful - Flims-Laax-Falera did away with red/blue/black some years ago
and now describe the type of piste rather than how difficult it is. Wouldn't
surprise me if this changes again soon...

I quite liked the idea, although the piste markings and signings
themselves were not so hot. It does seem to make a lot of sense to
mark areas as 'beginners' 'carving' 'freeride' etc., particularly with
the latter also having an 'extra-hard' rating where appropriate.

Nowhere else seems to have followed suit though, so it doesn't seem to
be in any danger of catching on.

It seems like a bit of a contradiction in terms to have a marked area
for "freeriding":-) Surely, you can "freeride" all over the place, or is
that "all mountain freeride" skiing?

Old December 4th 03, 07:55 AM
Ace

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 19:04:39 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

Ace wrote:

It does seem to make a lot of sense to
mark areas as 'beginners' 'carving' 'freeride' etc., particularly with
the latter also having an 'extra-hard' rating where appropriate.

It seems like a bit of a contradiction in terms to have a marked area
for "freeriding":-) Surely, you can "freeride" all over the place, or is
that "all mountain freeride" skiing?

It's basically indicating, on the piste map, that a particular,
lift-served area is not pisted and will therefore not be suitable for
piste-only skiers. The only time I skiied there it was useful to be
able to head straight for these areas.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)