powder stance

Old December 30th 05, 12:32 AM

Good reply, and if I was riding my Avalanche 164 or my Ride 169, I
could ride it with stock stance in the powder.
But maybe not my 153 twintip or 156 park/pipe board with centered
stances.
Most peeps have less than two boards, believe it or not, and most
start with a freeride/freestyle with either centered or barely setback
stances, usually not good for powder.

Old December 31st 05, 10:01 PM

You KNOW the intent of the post was to help out powder control and
riding for REGULAR snowboards, and most riders ride a close to twin tip
with a close to centered stance.

Fair enough, point taken.

Now both you guys take your freestyle park and pipe board, and go
ride some powder in the same stance it's set at!
Try it.

That would be difficult for me since the closest thing I have to a "park and
pipe" board is my Donek Wide 161, whose width provides quite a bit of
flotation for Yours Truly. Rather than lean back I just ride light on my
feet and if I slow down I go heavy on the downward pressure on the back
foot, it's not ideal but it feels better than riuding in the back seat. I
have tried setback and I just don't like the way that board handles with it
in anything but the most bottomnless of pow. This is of course much of the
reason why I own the 4807... it allows me to ride using my normal techniques
in the deepest fluff...

But yes, I agree with you, on short freestyle sticks, setback is the only
way to go in the deep.

Now... I suspect you underestimate the number of riders reading this NG who
own some kind of powder-friendly deck whether it be a Fish, a longer
freeride/"big mountain" deck, or a fish-tail or swallowtail. I suspect
you'll agree with me that the same rider who needs setback in pow on a 153cm
jib stick may not need it on a Fish*, or a 166cm powder stick. The OP has
been posting here for years now but I can't recall what board(s) he owns

-Mike T

(Fish note) *setback relative the default stance - I am aware that the
Fish's default stance is already set back. My wife riders her Fish 150
*slightly forward* of the default stance, *even in deep pow*, because she
finds it doesn't compromise it's handling in the deep, but helps immensely
on the groomed runouts.

Old January 2nd 06, 08:16 PM

Wow.. didn't mean to start a brawl on this topic! Well I've got
a Donek 160 and now the Fish. I would hope to have the Fish with me
for powder days, but it may not always be practical to travel with both.

My original post was directed more for the Donek and more about binding
angles than setback. In the past I've never bothered to change the
setback unless more than a foot - its just not worth the time and stuff
tends to get cut up fairly fast that a normal position is probably more
stable. I did think (as I think some others agreed) using less agressive
angles might be useful. Anyways, great to see that chatter!

A good brawl every now and again is fun :-)

In any case - I don't change my angles for powder on any of my boards.
When it comes to softies - I seem to like 24/15 in my Salomon bidnings, and
30/21 in my Catek Freerides, no matter which board they are on and in what
conditions. For some reason the higher angles "feel right" on the Cateks,
I can't explain it.

Mike T

Old January 2nd 06, 09:29 PM

I also don't change angles, just the setback if there's any problems
with the nose digging in.
Unfortunately, have to move both bindings back, as one just changes
the stance width too much.
Now on my pow boards, I don't have to move them back, of course.
They're already set 2.5" back.
Surprisely, I don't move them forward for carving either. Both carve
nice 2" trench's in groomies as is.
And huge setback allows for real easy switch riding in
hardpack....just very little edging.....

Old January 3rd 06, 09:39 AM

On 23 Dec 2005 11:32:26 -0800, "og" wrote:

There's something wrong with technique if your back leg is burning out.
There's no reason to have to lean back to ride powder once you have
momentum.

Depends on the steepness of the slope and the quality of the snow,
ime. If the slope is too shallow / snow too heavy, I do have to
consciously push my weight back (had this experience on Sunday). Once
we found some steeper slopes, it all came together.
--
Champ