powder stance

Old December 24th 05, 06:49 AM

On fish, not only is nose wider than tail, but bindings ARE setback
to begin with....at least on '04's that I tried.

Old December 28th 05, 06:06 PM

I got a fish very late last season at the Burton store sale... still
waiting to use it I asked at the time and they said to ride my
normal stance and that I shouldn't have to really set back. Did you
try yours regular before going with the setback?

Cheers

Mike,
I usually just take my Fish when I head out West to Utah/BC and ride it
regular on groomed (and it does much better on groomed than I would ever
imagine) For powder only I find that the 2" setback (out of 3") does best
for me to minimize rear leg burnout. It is a great board! It looks like
Burton is starting to use that directional shaped style for other boards as
well including the Malolo and the Triumph to different degrees - Nose width
Tail width. Can't wait until they start with the Alumafly core in more of

their boards a la the Vapor - unbelievable light weight.

Old December 29th 05, 04:54 AM

Lotsa boards in the mid '90's had wider noses and narrower tails.
og must not ride powder in the trees. Sure, blazing wide open
spaces, centered stance is just fine, as is one inch setback.
But spend a day snaking thru trees, narrow and requiring controlled
speeds, and setback makes a huge difference.
Even my 169x62 is setback 2.5".

Old December 29th 05, 03:05 PM

"Even my 169x62 is setback 2.5"."

You're right, leaning back and riding bone legged on a monoboard is not
my style.

Old December 29th 05, 05:55 PM

og...talking powder riding here...you know, the stuff missing lately
from the Sierras due to pineapple express.......
You say you ride centered bindings? Hah, you are full of it, for
pow.
Sure, it works once you get up to full speed.
Now where and how many first track runs can you get?
Most pow for me is controlled speeds snaking thru trees, and that
means slower than I want to go. Means setback stance, so I DON'T have
to lean back to float the nose.
Think about what you type!

Old December 29th 05, 06:02 PM

"Now where and how many first track runs can you get?"

More in one year than you'll get in a lifetime.

If I rode at Sierra I might have use setback since that place is so
flat.

Fact is, riding front leg straight with weight directed toward the back
is poor technique and seriously flawed.

Old December 29th 05, 06:04 PM

A factory "centered" stance on a board might be several cm's back of
true center. Using anything more than that is a crutch.

Old December 29th 05, 07:25 PM

You say you ride centered bindings? Hah, you are full of it, for
pow.
Sure, it works once you get up to full speed.
Now where and how many first track runs can you get?
Most pow for me is controlled speeds snaking thru trees, and that
means slower than I want to go. Means setback stance, so I DON'T have
to lean back to float the nose.

LeeD, have you ever ridden a fishtail/swallowtail? (fishtail - such as OSin
4807, not Burton Fish). It's trivial to ride that w/ a "centered on
inserts" stance at low tree-speeds and not sink at all. My 4807 178 is an
absolute dream to ride in trees - both steep sections and flats (and I ride
it centered on the inserts)

Think about what you type!

You're one to talk, Mr. "if you can do Granite Chief you can do anything".

Mike T

Old December 29th 05, 07:35 PM

LeeD wrote:
og...talking powder riding here...you know, the stuff missing lately
from the Sierras due to pineapple express.......
You say you ride centered bindings? Hah, you are full of it, for
pow.
Sure, it works once you get up to full speed.
Now where and how many first track runs can you get?
Most pow for me is controlled speeds snaking thru trees, and that
means slower than I want to go. Means setback stance, so I DON'T have
to lean back to float the nose.
Think about what you type!

I'm no expert but if you are using a freeride board, I would have
thought that you shouldn't need to set the bindings back. I certainly
don't on the board I use for freeriding [Donek Pheonix 165] and it's no
problem on powder through trees.

The only time I have to set the bindings back it if I'm on my pure
freestyle board [Forum JP Walker 159] and try to ride powder.

Octes
Old December 30th 05, 12:03 AM

Mike, you just qualified your statement by saying you are riding a
specialty powder board.
If you have a specialty board, obviously, the stock stance is setup
for powder.
I agree with you there.
But that's just plain stupid talk!
You KNOW the intent of the post was to help out powder control and
riding for REGULAR snowboards, and most riders ride a close to twin tip
with a close to centered stance.
Argumentative I am, but you are just as bad!
Now both you guys take your freestyle park and pipe board, and go
ride some powder in the same stance it's set at!
Try it.