wrist protection advice

Old December 21st 05, 05:54 PM

On 21 Dec 2005 02:26:49 -0800, "
wrote:

I did notice my triceps were taking a beating tho.

That's from pushing yourself up from a seated position, repeatedly.

--
Champ
Old December 21st 05, 06:58 PM

In judo they teach you to roll rather than fall. I've noticed that
that's kind of hard when you have a snowboard strapped to your feet.

No martial arts experiemnce but 300-400 days of snowboarding...

I try to slide rather than roll. It's actually quite natural on most of my
carving-in-hard-boots crashes. When I crash heelside I wind up sliding on
my butt for hip; when I crash toeside I usually slide on my frontside and
forearms.

"Rolling" out of a snowboard crash in my experience is more like "bouncing"
and while it often results in me riding away after winding up back on my
board, I've torn a rotator cuff and cracked a helmet doing it. Not
recommended.

Mike T

Old December 21st 05, 07:58 PM

Christine wrote:

I find that most of the time you have little influence on whether you
slide or bounce or roll.

A beginner is going to catch a lot of toeside edges and that's where the
wrist protectors are handy as the instinct is to put your hands out in
that sort of fall. Once you're past that I don't think the wrist
protectors are all that necessary, or at least I don't find them so. If
I wipe out, I typically either lose the edge and go for a slide or go
over the bars and head for a roll. Neither seems to put my wrists in
much danger, and I've yet to even tweak them in 20 years of riding.

Neil
Old December 21st 05, 08:43 PM

I totally agree....
Really good trick to impress your friends, and it's super easy to
do.....;
Lay into a fullpowered toeside carve dragging hands and knees, but
lean back at the apex...
Your whole unit basically pivots around your back hand, and you come
out slower, but heading in the same direction in a blink of the eye.
No wrist strain either.
Some fellow shop employee showed me this, and I just couldn't believe
how easy it was, and how it seems to defy physics.

Old December 21st 05, 11:57 PM

Mike T wrote:

I actually don't use wristguards all the time anymore - only when I plan to
doing park and pipe. For acrving and general freeriding I leave them off.
My main point was that sometimes falls happen so fast - like in theinstance
of an edge catch or a nose pearl - that you can't "fall well".

I haven't had any trouble with my wrists in the past, but I would like
to start to learn to ride pipe, and I figure that it is better to be
safe than sorry.

Dan

Old December 22nd 05, 01:25 AM

Bruce Chang wrote:

I've always been a believer of "don't fall on your wrists, fall on your
elbows." No wrist guards needed.

I started out wearing wrist guards (Dakine) but after a while, you do
learn to tuck everthing in and land on your elbows or back. I think that
when you are learning though, it's not a natural thing to do so wrist
guards are definately beneficial.

Octes
Old December 25th 05, 10:47 PM

"LeeD" wrote in message oups.com...
I totally agree....
Really good trick to impress your friends, and it's super easy to
do.....;
Lay into a fullpowered toeside carve dragging hands and knees, but
lean back at the apex...
Your whole unit basically pivots around your back hand, and you come
out slower, but heading in the same direction in a blink of the eye.
No wrist strain either.
Some fellow shop employee showed me this, and I just couldn't believe
how easy it was, and how it seems to defy physics.

Sounds interesting, but I can't really visuallize what you are doing.
Can you explain better?

Bob

Old December 26th 05, 06:45 PM

Sorry, that's the best I can describe it.
Has to be done on fairly flats, so you can start the carve with a
trench 2" wide on softysetup.
Just reach you hands out, my bud does it dragging his flat forearm,
then just leans back a hair to slide the tail, and whips into a 360 as
fast as you can blink your eyes, coming out a little slower and lower
than the entry.

Old December 26th 05, 07:23 PM

LeeD wrote on 26 Dec 2005 11:45:32 -0800:
Sorry, that's the best I can describe it.
Has to be done on fairly flats, so you can start the carve with a
trench 2" wide on softysetup.
Just reach you hands out, my bud does it dragging his flat forearm,
then just leans back a hair to slide the tail, and whips into a 360 as
fast as you can blink your eyes, coming out a little slower and lower
than the entry.

Well, that makes slightly more sense, since you at least mentioned
the "360" part...

--
David Taylor
Old December 26th 05, 10:36 PM

Maybe you can snap some pics or a vid of it next time you go out...?

Good advice on the Internet :) Lisa Horton Alpine Skiing 74 May 29th 04 10:41 PM
equipment advice Daviescs Backcountry Skiing 1 February 1st 04 07:19 PM
Couple of questions (pants, gloves, wrist injury, half pipe). MP Snowboarding 7 January 25th 04 09:17 AM
Wrist protection Bo Lind Snowboarding 8 January 1st 04 10:42 PM
Burton Gloves with wrist protection Savage Snowboarding 4 December 21st 03 10:40 PM