wrist protection advice

Old December 20th 05, 09:44 PM

Default wrist protection advice

Hello,
I need suggestions about which brand of wrist protection to purchase. I
have reviewed all of the old postings (from about four years ago) on
this newsgroup, but things have changed since then. The once-popular
No-Gomer wrist guards no longer seem to be available anywhere, and I
was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about the best brands
available today.

I have seen the Dakine wrist guards on sale, but from what I have read,
it is not a good idea to get short and stiff wrist guards like those
used by skateboarders, and the Dakine ones seem to be too short and
stiff.

Other brands available today include R.E.D., Seirus, and Biomex. Has
anyone ever tried these brands?

The website http://www.ski-injury.com/wrist.htm gives an analysis of
snowboarding wrist injuries, and recommends the Flexmeter wrist guards
(http://www.skimeter.com/ang/flex/eng_flexmeter.php). Has anyone ever
tried or heard about these wrist guards?

I have been researching this for about four weeks to no avail, so
anyone's insight is more than welcome.

Thanks,
Dan C.

Old December 20th 05, 09:47 PM

"Dan C." wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've always been a believer of "don't fall on your wrists, fall on your
elbows." No wrist guards needed.

Old December 20th 05, 10:43 PM

I've always been a believer of "don't fall on your wrists, fall on your
elbows." No wrist guards needed.

Easier said than done sometimes! My falls come in two varieties these
days - I see it coming and slide out of it on my arse or one of my hips, or
I don't see it coming and I see stars for a few seconds after landing in a
strange position. As someone who uses a computer to earn a living,
recovery from a broken forearm is preferable to a broken wrist.

Mike T

Old December 20th 05, 11:10 PM

I'd use soft wrist guards, but I actually have never used any in over
250 days boarding.
G/F boarded about 130 days, uses Dakine hard style, likes 'em, but
she doesn't go cartwheeling down the hill either.
Our riding buds don't use wristguards, but they're both well over 300
days into snowboarding.
I've never hurt my wrists snowboarding.
Tennis, yes.
Golf, yes.
Skiing, definetely.

Old December 21st 05, 07:43 AM

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:43:47 -0800, "Mike T"
wrote:

I've always been a believer of "don't fall on your wrists, fall on your
elbows." No wrist guards needed.

Easier said than done sometimes! My falls come in two varieties these
days - I see it coming and slide out of it on my arse or one of my hips, or
I don't see it coming and I see stars for a few seconds after landing in a
strange position. As someone who uses a computer to earn a living,
recovery from a broken forearm is preferable to a broken wrist.

Two things:
1. I've never used wrist guards. But I don't ride in icy pipes and
parks either.
2. I've broken wrist, collarbone and others (motorcycle accidents)
and never had a problem with using a keyboard. Of all the occupations
I can think of, working a computer is probably the easiest to do when
injured.

So, in short - stop being a wuss :-)
--
Champ
Old December 21st 05, 09:26 AM

It took me a while to break the habit of falling on my hands but I
eventually licked it. I never injured my wrists; I did notice my
triceps were taking a beating tho.

Old December 21st 05, 11:57 AM

Dan C. wrote:
The once-popular
No-Gomer wrist guards no longer seem to be available anywhere,

I picked up a pair last year from Reliable Racing (after several
failed attempts at getting them directly from the manufacturer).

Reliable Racing's website shows them as backordered, but it never
hurts to call.

http://www.reliableracing.com/detail...&category=3510

--
Mike Matola
Old December 21st 05, 03:07 PM

I bought some Dakine wristguards last year, and found that they rubbed
really badly between my thumb and first finger. As soon as I stopped
for lunch I took them off and never wore them again.

My boyfriend wears gloves with built in wristguards, and they seem
fairly comfortable, although I don't know how effective they are for
preventing injury.

BTW I used to do lots of judo and we spent a lot of time learning how
to fall safely. I wouldn't recommended aiming for your elbows when you
fall as you risk breaking your collar bone or dislocating your shoulder.

Old December 21st 05, 03:46 PM

Two things:
1. I've never used wrist guards. But I don't ride in icy pipes and
parks either.
2. I've broken wrist, collarbone and others (motorcycle accidents)
and never had a problem with using a keyboard. Of all the occupations
I can think of, working a computer is probably the easiest to do when
injured.

So, in short - stop being a wuss :-)

Harder to work on a computer while a broken wrist is healing than a broken
forearm, right?

I actually don't use wristguards all the time anymore - only when I plan to
doing park and pipe. For acrving and general freeriding I leave them off.
My main point was that sometimes falls happen so fast - like in theinstance
of an edge catch or a nose pearl - that you can't "fall well".

Old December 21st 05, 05:53 PM

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:46:55 -0800, "Mike T"
wrote:

Two things:
1. I've never used wrist guards. But I don't ride in icy pipes and
parks either.
2. I've broken wrist, collarbone and others (motorcycle accidents)
and never had a problem with using a keyboard. Of all the occupations
I can think of, working a computer is probably the easiest to do when
injured.

So, in short - stop being a wuss :-)

Harder to work on a computer while a broken wrist is healing than a broken
forearm, right?

Dunno - I've never broken a forearm (I assume you mean radius or
ulner?).

But hey, I've ridden a motorcycle with my left wrist in plaster, so
working a computer is a piece of ****.
--
Champ

Good advice on the Internet :) Lisa Horton Alpine Skiing 74 May 29th 04 10:41 PM
equipment advice Daviescs Backcountry Skiing 1 February 1st 04 07:19 PM
Couple of questions (pants, gloves, wrist injury, half pipe). MP Snowboarding 7 January 25th 04 09:17 AM
Wrist protection Bo Lind Snowboarding 8 January 1st 04 10:42 PM
Burton Gloves with wrist protection Savage Snowboarding 4 December 21st 03 10:40 PM