Vail and Steamboat push back opening day

Old November 16th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
snoig

Default Vail and Steamboat push back opening day

They were supposed to open today but Vail pushed it back to the
Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Steamboat now says November 2nd.

I like Breck's report from the other day. There was maybe a 1/16" and
Breck reported 1". Way to round up. Plus that dusting was followed
by light misting for the rest of the day so we lost some snow.

They have been making snow at night and a new front should be moving
though with some precip. It should be cold enough soon to make snow
24/7 but it sure looks like it will be the worst Thanksgiving in quite
some time.

snoig
Old November 16th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

snoig wrote:
They were supposed to open today but Vail pushed it back to the
Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

It should be cold enough soon to make snow
24/7 but it sure looks like it will be the worst Thanksgiving in quite
some time.

Looks like everybody's getting a late start. The usual early birds are
open (KMart, Banff, Loveland, A-Basin, Solitude, Brule, Boreal,
Trollhaugen etc.) but the rest of us will have to sit on our hands for
another week or two.

Dammit. A year ago this time I was skiing at the local molehill.

Soon come, mon, soon come.

I'll toast Ullr tonight with a little more Aquavit and see what that does.

//Walt
Old November 16th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
CBJack

On Nov 16, 2:52 pm, Walt wrote:
snoig wrote:
They were supposed to open today but Vail pushed it back to the
Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

It should be cold enough soon to make snow
24/7 but it sure looks like it will be the worst Thanksgiving in quite
some time.

Looks like everybody's getting a late start. The usual early birds are
open (KMart, Banff, Loveland, A-Basin, Solitude, Brule, Boreal,
Trollhaugen etc.) but the rest of us will have to sit on our hands for
another week or two.

Dammit. A year ago this time I was skiing at the local molehill.

Soon come, mon, soon come.

I'll toast Ullr tonight with a little more Aquavit and see what that does.

//Walt

Add Crested Butte to the list of open areas -- as of 9AM Saturday
11/17 -- with a strip of man made snow coming down from the top of the
Red Lady Quad. Sorta sad but warm days and nights and a complete lack
of real snow can mess things up. I'll make a few runs 'cause like the
man said, if you don't ski the first day of the season you can't ski
every day of the season.

Jack
Old November 17th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Walt wrote:

Looks like everybody's getting a late start. The usual early birds are
open (KMart, Banff, Loveland, A-Basin, Solitude, Brule, Boreal,
Trollhaugen etc.) but the rest of us will have to sit on our hands for
another week or two.

Solitude is a "usual early bird"? 8|

-klaus

Old November 17th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:

Looks like everybody's getting a late start. The usual early birds are
open (KMart, Banff, Loveland, A-Basin, Solitude, Brule, Boreal,
Trollhaugen etc.) but the rest of us will have to sit on our hands for
another week or two.

Solitude is a "usual early bird"? 8|

Aren't they? Anyway, they're open now according to the stuff on the
intertubes.

//Walt
Old November 17th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:

Looks like everybody's getting a late start. The usual early birds are
open (KMart, Banff, Loveland, A-Basin, Solitude, Brule, Boreal,
Trollhaugen etc.) but the rest of us will have to sit on our hands for
another week or two.

Solitude is a "usual early bird"? 8|

Aren't they? Anyway, they're open now according to the stuff on the
intertubes.

This is the first year I can remember them being first to open. They
are usually at least a week behind. I think that since they now have a
lot of lodging and reservations, they have to open or refund a lot of
money. They even bought a few more snow guns. Conditions are pretty
grim. My driveway is a mile from the lift at the same eleavtion and at
the moment is more appropriate for mud wrestling than skiing.

Coming out this year? Wanna meet and say that stuff to my face?
I'll buy the beer.

-klaus

Old November 17th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

On Nov 17, 11:14 am, klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:

Looks like everybody's getting a late start. The usual early birds are
open (KMart, Banff, Loveland, A-Basin, Solitude, Brule, Boreal,
Trollhaugen etc.) but the rest of us will have to sit on our hands for
another week or two.

Solitude is a "usual early bird"? 8|

Aren't they? Anyway, they're open now according to the stuff on the
intertubes.

This is the first year I can remember them being first to open. They
are usually at least a week behind. I think that since they now have a
lot of lodging and reservations, they have to open or refund a lot of
money. They even bought a few more snow guns. Conditions are pretty
grim. My driveway is a mile from the lift at the same eleavtion and at
the moment is more appropriate for mud wrestling than skiing.

If you provide the grrls, I'll get muddy. I've got a special double-
leg takedown I've been working on.

JP

Old November 17th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:

Solitude is a "usual early bird"? 8|

Aren't they? Anyway, they're open now according to the stuff on the
intertubes.

This is the first year I can remember them being first to open.

Ok. My recollection is that the Cotttonwood Canyons generally opens
early, but I don't really recall which of the four usually gets going
before the others. If Solitude is usually a week behind, you'd know
better than I would.

Coming out this year?

We'll see - not much in the way of travel plans for the season yet - a
season pass at Nubs, XMas week in the Pokeyernose, a day or two at Mt
Lemon in January (in the area for other reasons) and that's as far as
I've gotten. The usual 2nd week in Dec trip is not happening this year.

Wanna meet and say that stuff to my face?
I'll buy the beer.

You buy the beer and I'll say whatever you want me to say.

//Walt
Old November 17th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Nov 17, 1:43 pm, Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:
Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:
[...]

Tell ya what. I'll buy the beer, and you tell the truth about this
********. Oooops, forgot. You can't. Tell the truth. Neither can
that bitch Biggers. Especially to my face. Maybe with enough beer.
Must stop ****ing with the freaks.....
Old November 17th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

twobuddha wrote:

Tell ya what. I'll buy the beer, and you tell the truth about this
********. Oooops, forgot. You can't. Tell the truth. Neither can
that bitch Biggers.

Deal. When and where?

Let me guess.. first words will be "As soon as you..."

-klaus

Steamboat vs. VAIL Sean Alpine Skiing 13 December 11th 04 08:22 AM
?? Steamboat vs. Vail Sean Snowboarding 4 December 9th 04 01:50 AM
Can you usually ski back to Val on opening weekend? Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 5 October 27th 03 05:04 PM
Heel Push and Toe Push Bob Creasote Nordic Skiing 9 September 18th 03 11:15 AM
Heel Push and Toe Push (Chapter 2) Ken Roberts Nordic Skiing 0 September 16th 03 02:57 AM