What happened (long)

Old September 13th 06, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default What happened (long)

So, I'm barrelling along a lovely country road on my way to work -
long straight followed by tight right-hander, so lots of beans being
applied. This is a nice road and I'm enjoying the ride in, but somehow
I get sucked into it. Mistake #1.

Approaching the bend I leave it a little bit too late before applying
the anchors, and as I get closer and closer I realise that I'm not
going to make it. Mistake #2. I've got _way_ too much brakes on to
even think about tipping into the bend, which is probably a 40mph job.
Dunno what speed I'm doing, but somewhat more than that.

So I'm now at what would be the apex point and still going straight
and trying to scrub off speed, and I realise that although there's
nothing coming in the opposite lane there's still not enough road to
stop in and I'm going to go straight across the other side. The far
verge consists of a low ditch and a ****-off Armco barrier, which I
don't fancy smashing into (mistake #3) so I instinctively pull a bit
harder on the brake. Mistake #4 and last.

Trouble is, the brakes and tyres (Diablo Corsas) are too bloody good,
so instead of washing out and lowsiding me, which would have been
nasty but relatively survivable, the damn thing stoppies, dead
straight, and flips me straight over the top.

So I'm flying through the air upside down and backwards, watching the
bike come to an undignified stop on the road, amidst a spray of
splintering plastic (mainly from the seat and rear area); I feel my
head dragging on the grass and then I connect with the Armco. Flat on
my back.

Ow. Ow Ow and treble Ow. I'm still fully conscious, but now unable to
breathe. Not sure if my eyes are open but I don't remember any visual
input from this time, just the pain and inability to breathe. I say to
myself "you're just winded, relax, let it come, it'll get there
eventually". On the third of fourth attempt I managed to get my chest
to move enough to get some air into my lungs.

It's only at this point that I realise that the pain I'd subsequently
felt was but a taster, a gentle preview of what was to come. You know
how some accounts of accidents will say that the victims "passed out"
due to to pain? Well I've never quite believed them, but it's at this
stage that I wish it were true. Sadly I'm still fully conscious and
aware of every last screaming nerve.

So I then start to think it might be better is I wasn't lying on my
obviously broken ribcage, so I attempt to stand, taking a couple of
minutes to extricate my boot from under the crash barrier and finally
managing to get upright. At about this time a couple of passers-by
have appeared and start asking if I'm OK, then send someone else off
to call an ambulance (cell-phone dead-spot, apparently). I'm now
standing but rapidly realising than not only does in hurt no less, but
I'm in danger of falling over which would clearly hurt even more, so I
get them to help me to the ground.

There then follows the most excruciating period of waiting while first
one, then two ambulances arrive, neither of which has paramedics on
board, so are unable to offer any pain relief. They do move me to a
flat board, at which point I'm able to get them to help remove my
jacket, as the hump would not allow me to lie flat. This is done
without too much trauma and I'm moved to the stretcher with a neck
brace on, although I'm confident that there's no neck damage.

Finally a doctor gets there, maybe 30-40 minutes after the crash, and
I think she gives me some morphine at this point, which helps the
breathing somewhat and dulls the awareness of what's happening. A
helicopter arrives shortly afterwards, by which time I've got a drip
in and I'm moved into it and hooked up to various monitors (blood
pressure, Blood oxygen conc., ecg, etc.). A chat about destination
ensues and it's resolved to take me to Basle, as it's a) the closest,
b) the best and c) the easiest (admin-wise) of the available options.

I'll skip the gory details, much of which I didn't notice, being out
of my head on morphine by this time, but I do remember them cutting
off my leather trousers, the *******s, which they could have very
easily have pulled off. Would the listen? Would the ********. The
diagnosis is as follows, badly translated by me:

- multiple BWS and LWS(?) fractures (to the spine) without
neurological damage, extension injury to Thorax9 ventral and traumatic
inflammation to Thorax12
- rib fractures right side ribs 2-9 ( at the front, next to the
sternum, although at least one is fractured further round as well)
- haematopnumothorax right side (bleeding into the chest cavity, from
the broken bones and surrounding tissue).
- Pleuraerguss left ( fluid into the left chest cavity, not spotted
until several days later)
- fractured sternum
- blunt abdominal injuries
- Liver haematoma segment 7

Treatment entailed a cright-side chest drain on arrival, a left-side
one a week later[1], and the insertion of two foot-long titanium rods,
screwed into the spine together with bits of bone graft from the back
of the pelvis, using 4 inch long screws. This goes between the
thorassic 8 and lumbar 2 vertabrae, all but tow of which (the lumbar
ones) are immobile by middle-age anyway, so this shouldn't impar
future mobility very much.

The Swiss health system seems pretty good, although there were one or
two bad experiences, like the pain nurse who was unable to understand
that my need for morphine had increased massively after the second
chest drain. Finally, at the second call-out, she got the message and
increased the backgound level on the PCA[4] machine. But the pain got
worse, so I called them out again - different person this time, who
discovered that the previous one had 'forgotten' to switch the machine
on after changing the settings. I think she'd missed her vocation as a
torturer and was just taking it out on me.

All bills will be born ny my company's accident insurance, which is
pretty damned good, covering any sort of accident, Martini-style[5].
Apparently not all companies statutory insurance is anything like this
comprehensive.

Prognosis is good, got to wear a 'corset' for three months while the
back heals (and keep on the painkillers for a while yet), and the rods
will stay put for 10-11 months, presumably to allow total stability
and strength to be regained before removal.

So overall I'm quite lucky to have survived, but quite unlucky to have
hit the armco. OTOH I could have hit it with my head which could have
been a lot worse, so who knows.

I'm also left with a profound gratitude toward the manufacturers[2] of
my leathers, together with their non EC-approved back protectors,
which seem to have done exactly what they're supposed to, transferring
most of the impact from the spine around the chest cavity to the ribs,
where, painful as they are, the damage is much more survivable. Not
suer if the armadillo-like one in my Dainese winter jacket would have
been better, but I'm 100% certain that the EC-approved, 1cm thick foam
back protection in my older Belstaff jacket would have had almost no
effect. I'm glad I made the choice I did.

Thanks again for all the GWSs, on here and elsewhere. It does make a
difference to know that folk are rooting for you, and nearly all the
comments here have been positive and make me glad to be back. I'll try
not to bore y'all too much while I'm sat at home ;-)

[1] The single most painful experience of all. They cut a hole between
you ribs using a pair of scissors, under local so it's not too bad,
then force six inches of 1/2" hosepipe between the ribs and into the
chest, for wich no anaesthetic is useful. I'm sure they cracked a rib
putting it in[3]. Internal pressure was such that blood spurted all
over the surgeon, bed and floor.
[2] Schwabenleder.
[3] Although later x-rays don't show this, but it still hurts more
than the broken ones on the RHS.
[4] Patient controlled analgaesia. Push a button to get more morphine,
with a 12-minute delay between doses.
[5] Any time, any place, anywhere.

--
_______
..'_/_|_\_'. Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old September 13th 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ken

If this is the way you ride a bike, i would strongly advise you to give it
up now, before you get killed!

Old September 13th 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
darsy

Ace wrote:

So, I'm barrelling along a lovely country road on my way to work -

[snip]

clumsy tit!

--
d.
Old September 13th 06, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Vass

"Ace" wrote in message

good to see you back :-)

.........and the bike?
--
Vass

Old September 13th 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:59:00 +0100, darsy wrote:

Ace wrote:

So, I'm barrelling along a lovely country road on my way to work -

[snip]

clumsy tit!

Yupp. After 30 years of "It'll never happen to me" I've become aware
of just how easy it can be. Or possible, just how lucky I've been to
get away with it for so long.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old September 13th 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Ace wrote:

Approaching the bend

Can you work out the Lat and long of the Bend on Goodle Earth and tell
us so we can have a look?

Old September 13th 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Le Dieu

"Ace" wrote in message
So, I'm barrelling along a lovely country road on my way to work -
long straight followed by tight right-hander, so lots of beans being
applied.

Harrowing tale snipped.

Wow.

Thanks Ace, you've helped me make up my mind to sell my bike. Wife and kids
very pleased.

Best of luck with the rehab.

A. D.

Old September 13th 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:04:53 +0100, "Vass"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .

good to see you back :-)

........and the bike?

No idea. Don't even know where it is. Looked like it was just plastic
and the rear end, so probably repairable. But I don't really GAF, to
be perfectly honest.

--
_______
Old September 13th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

You got a ride in a heli? *******.

--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle
Old September 13th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
darsy

Ace wrote:

So, I'm barrelling along a lovely country road on my way to work -

[snip]

clumsy tit!

Yupp. After 30 years of "It'll never happen to me" I've become aware
of just how easy it can be. Or possible, just how lucky I've been to
get away with it for so long.

and as porl pointed out, a little ironic to happen the day after you
made your "I ride on the road as if it were a racetrack" comment...

--
d.