St. Etienne Airport

Old October 18th 03, 10:36 AM
Greg Hilton

Default St. Etienne Airport

Can anyone tell me how close this is to Tignes?

http://www.ryanair.com/ fly there and are doing a sale at the moment. They
say it's very close, the only one I could find using Mapoint was over 3
hours drive away, in fact Geneva looked closer!

thanks!

Greg
Old October 18th 03, 12:44 PM
PG

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me how close this is to Tignes?

http://www.ryanair.com/ fly there and are doing a sale at the moment.

They
say it's very close, the only one I could find using Mapoint was over

3
hours drive away, in fact Geneva looked closer!

thanks!

That's the one I'm afraid, a fair drive from St Etienne, some 300 kms.
Geneva is closer, but less motorway. Lyon is at 220 km (150 km of
motorway).

As far as I know, Ryanair discontinued the Grenoble and Chambéry
destinations after the Buzz takeover.

Pete

Old October 18th 03, 05:06 PM
Rod Jenkins

That's the one I'm afraid, a fair drive from St Etienne, some 300 kms.
Geneva is closer, but less motorway. Lyon is at 220 km (150 km of
motorway).

As far as I know, Ryanair discontinued the Grenoble and Chambéry
destinations after the Buzz takeover.

Pete

flybe go to Chambery and Geneva from Southampton.
Rod

Old October 19th 03, 11:26 AM
Rob White

Having done coach tranfers from St Etinenne I can confirm you it will have
AT LEAST 3 hours - even more if the roads to the ski resorts are stuffed.
Take a paperback with you.

Rob

Old October 19th 03, 02:50 PM
PG

"Rod Jenkins" wrote in message
That's the one I'm afraid, a fair drive from St Etienne, some 300

kms.
Geneva is closer, but less motorway. Lyon is at 220 km (150 km of
motorway).

As far as I know, Ryanair discontinued the Grenoble and Chambéry
destinations after the Buzz takeover.

Pete

flybe go to Chambery and Geneva from Southampton.
Rod

Really.... direct?
Pete

Old October 20th 03, 08:52 AM
Robert Rees

"PG" wrote in message

flybe go to Chambery and Geneva from Southampton.
Rod

Really.... direct?
Pete

Yes, three times a week during the season: Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday.
Prices seem reasonable when I checked their website. Anyone know what
car hire outlets are at Chambery?

Regards

Rob

Old October 20th 03, 10:04 AM
Steve

PG wrote:

flybe go to Chambery and Geneva from Southampton.
Rod

Really.... direct?

Look like it, but they do sting you for the privilage of carrying skis -
£15 each way by the looks of it. It would be worth it for a flight into
Chambery though, that's got to knock a couple of hours of the normal
journey from Geneva or Lyon to the Tarentaise. A weekend trip to Val
d'isere might be on the cards afterall!

Old October 20th 03, 10:11 AM
Greg Hilton

Not much help to me from Leeds though! Anyone else fly to Chambery from the
UK???

Regards,

greg
Old October 20th 03, 10:19 AM
PG

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
Not much help to me from Leeds though! Anyone else fly to Chambery

from the
UK???

Did a bit of research on this a while back, whatever you do from up
north would involve transferring flights somewhere. There was one new
operator from Leeds Bradford, name escapes me, with cheapo flights to
France (other than Paris) direct, but nowhere near the Alps.

Pete

Old October 20th 03, 10:46 AM
Greg Hilton

"PG" wrote in news:bn0cpj$ru8n2$1@ID-
146837.news.uni-berlin.de:

Did a bit of research on this a while back, whatever you do from up
north would involve transferring flights somewhere.

Cheers Pete,

Having done Stansted to Turin and back for ski weekends and driving back
home at past midnight Stansted is about far south as I'll go!

regards,

greg