Flow Bindings

Old November 14th 03, 08:57 PM
mr E

Default Flow Bindings

I've got a 62 Custom '04 in the mail and I'm buying bindings and boots to go
along with it next week. Who has tried/owned Flow bindings and what are
your thoughts on them? I've ridden some old school step-ins for about 7 or
8 years now, DNR's (I don't believe they are made anymore) and they have
served me well. They didn't have a back on them so I am terribly sick of
the incredibly stiff boot and whole dang step-in setup. I do however love
the ease of step-ins, and I'm not a crazy hardcore control fanatic, so I am
more concerned about ease of use and convenience when it comes to these
bindings. For those reasons, the Flow looks like an excellent binding for
my needs. Does it stack up with traditional bindings in the control and
overall hold areas? and is it really as easy on the hill as it is in the
store? Specifically I am looking at the Pro-11 model, but would consider
the AMP-4 if someone told me there wasnt 50 dollars worth of difference
besides stylings. (The shop where I will get 10% off doesnt carry the AMP-5
model, although that would be my first choice). Thanks in advance for any
help.

-Matt

Also, anyone have any problems with the Burton Moto boot? Don't tell me
they don't feel good for you, but more along the lines of how it holds up
after use, etc etc.

Old November 15th 03, 07:32 AM
Edward Arata

From your description it sounds like Flows are great for you, that is if
your not super concerned with control. I think that they hold as well as
strap ins but others have said that they don't. Also it has been said they
work better for larger feet, like my 13s. However they work great for my
freeriding and big mountain style.

Bought a set last year after using traditional strap ins and K2 clickers.
They are amazing.
In answer to your question, they are as easy to get into on the mountain as
in the store. However only on your toe edge, if you sitting your heal edge
forget it, you just don't have space to fold down the back. You can strap
in on the lift if you have a little space and they are easier than the K2
clicker system in this respect. Also you can exit the lift standing on your
stomp and while still moving lean back flip the back, step in, latch, and
go. It's great to blow by skiers and watch their faces as you don't stop.

Only two things:
1) When looking into boots make sure you buy ones that has a rounded heal (I
mean when looking at the side profile of the boot). If it is square you may
have trouble getting the flows to open / fold down. But it is not too much
of a problem.

2) The flows are somewhat heavy. So if there is a large difference in
weight between the models then spend the extra money, if not I'm using a
lower end set of FL-11s. They are great.

Have fun,

Ed Arata