France Burns!

Old November 17th 05, 01:55 AM

Bob Lee wrote:
bdubya wrote:

I'm buying a lot less French wine these days. Only because the
cut-and-run Spaniards are kicking their tails on the price/quality
scale, though.

Oh, you gotta love riojas - red *and* white. Those Spanish got it goin'
on.

Go for the Campo de Boro - it's basically the same thing as Rioja, but
since it comes form the next county over it doesn't have the brand
name so it dosen't command the same price.

--
// Walt
//

Old November 17th 05, 02:17 AM

AstroPax wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 01:04:51 GMT, bdubya wrote:

I'm buying a lot less French wine these days.

I'm not buying *any* French wines these days.

Darn. More for me.

--
// Walt
//

Old November 17th 05, 02:34 PM

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:55:47 -0500, Walt
wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:
bdubya wrote:

I'm buying a lot less French wine these days. Only because the
cut-and-run Spaniards are kicking their tails on the price/quality
scale, though.

Oh, you gotta love riojas - red *and* white. Those Spanish got it goin'
on.

Go for the Campo de Boro - it's basically the same thing as Rioja, but
since it comes form the next county over it doesn't have the brand
name so it dosen't command the same price.

Mainly I'm drinking old-vine Garnachas, not worrying too much about
where they're from. Most of the good ones seem to be from Calatayud,
though.

bw
Old November 17th 05, 03:53 PM

wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:
bdubya wrote:

I'm buying a lot less French wine these days. Only because the
cut-and-run Spaniards are kicking their tails on the price/quality
scale, though.

Oh, you gotta love riojas - red *and* white. Those Spanish got it goin'
on.

Go for the Campo de Boro - it's basically the same thing as Rioja, but
since it comes form the next county over it doesn't have the brand
name so it dosen't command the same price.

Mainly I'm drinking old-vine Garnachas, not worrying too much about
where they're from. Most of the good ones seem to be from Calatayud,
though.

All great stuff, but is Spain part of the Coalition of the Gullible?
That's the only thing that matters.

-klaus

Old November 17th 05, 03:54 PM

AstroPax wrote:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:34:52 +0000 (UTC), klaus
wrote:

AstroPax wrote:
Personally, IMO, Italy has better food, better wine, and the people
are much more polite. And it's less expensive too.

The same could be said with respect to the U.S.

True, but irrelevant.

Yup, in both cases.

-klaus

Old November 17th 05, 04:20 PM

klaus wrote:

Personally, IMO, Italy has better food, better wine, and the people
are much more polite. And it's less expensive too.

The same could be said with respect to the U.S.

Thanks! The US does have better food and better wine than the UK,
but Canadians are more polite than either.

In the French sistuation, I suspect that the authorities are lax
in cracking down on rioters because Renault wants to sell more cars
and Michelin wants to sell new tires.

It's not blood on the streets, it's burnt rubber and melted plastic.

Old November 17th 05, 04:40 PM

Bill Tuthill wrote:
klaus wrote:

Personally, IMO, Italy has better food, better wine, and the people
are much more polite. And it's less expensive too.

The same could be said with respect to the U.S.

Thanks! The US does have better food and better wine than the UK,

That's like saying you're the tallest guy in Japan.

but Canadians are more polite than either.

They're a bunch of stoners. What were we talking about again?

In the French sistuation, I suspect that the authorities are lax
in cracking down on rioters because Renault wants to sell more cars
and Michelin wants to sell new tires.

It's not blood on the streets, it's burnt rubber and melted plastic.

I just replaced my Michelins. They sucked. I blew out a sidewall in
the desert. And it's not like we were airborn that long.

-klaus

Old November 17th 05, 10:11 PM

wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:
bdubya wrote:

I'm buying a lot less French wine these days. Only because the
cut-and-run Spaniards are kicking their tails on the price/quality
scale, though.

Oh, you gotta love riojas - red *and* white. Those Spanish got it goin'
on.

Go for the Campo de Boro - it's basically the same thing as Rioja, but
since it comes form the next county over it doesn't have the brand
name so it dosen't command the same price.

Mainly I'm drinking old-vine Garnachas, not worrying too much about
where they're from. Most of the good ones seem to be from Calatayud,
though.

All great stuff, but is Spain part of the Coalition of the Gullible?
That's the only thing that matters.

After the Madrid bombings, they voted Aznar out of office in favor of
a new government which promptly withdrew from the Coalition of the
Billing. There's plenty of room to argue whether this was an
expression of chickenheartedness in the face of the tourist threat, an
expression of anger at Aznar for trying to blame the bombings on ETA
instead of Al-Qaeda, or possibly an expression of latent anger at
Aznar for having been suckered into Iraq in the first place.
Regardless, they must now be known as the "cut-and-run Spaniards".

bw
Old November 17th 05, 10:20 PM

bdubya wrote:
klaus wrote:
bdubya wrote:

Mainly I'm drinking old-vine Garnachas, not worrying too much about
where they're from. Most of the good ones seem to be from Calatayud,
though.

All great stuff, but is Spain part of the Coalition of the Gullible?
That's the only thing that matters.

After the Madrid bombings, they voted Aznar out of office in favor of
a new government which promptly withdrew from the Coalition of the
Billing. There's plenty of room to argue whether this was an
expression of chickenheartedness in the face of the tourist threat, an
expression of anger at Aznar for trying to blame the bombings on ETA
instead of Al-Qaeda, or possibly an expression of latent anger at
Aznar for having been suckered into Iraq in the first place.
Regardless, they must now be known as the "cut-and-run Spaniards".

Well, I prefer to call them the "stomp-and-ferment" Spaniards.
YMMV.

//Walt
Old November 17th 05, 11:38 PM

wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

bdubya wrote:

[...]

So...us lily-livered surrender monkeys get to drink all their wine, 'cuz
real Americans don't want any, right?