Back from a Big Week of XC training in Minnesota

Old July 28th 04, 09:47 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Back from a Big Week of XC training in Minnesota

I just got back from a whild wirlwind two wheeks of fast-tempo
'vacationing.'

One of the weeks was a Seminar in Integrative Studies that I try to
attend each summer. It's up at Side Lake, Minnesota, near Hibbing. In
the boonies. Where the wolves and cougars are.

Six of us meet up and read and discuss and try to apply high end
philosophic works to our daily lives at this Seminar. We also eat a
lot. In fact we eat so much that I basically have to do two-a-days not
to gain more than 5 pounds. So I do!

So I just did 5 days of two-a-days. Whew! And I only gained a few
pounds.

I'd do ski imitation on steep trails for an hour or so in the morning.
Then I'd do an hour or so of mt-biking or hilly rollerskiing in the
afternoon. Plus stretching and calesthenics...and some good
wood-splitting.

With a big meal and a nap in between. Ah yes.

One thing I noticed was that I couldn't really meditate on the
readings or my life while doing these hard work-outs. They were great
in their own right, but not so hot for thinking. My peers tended to go
out for easier outings. I think this lets them ruminate as they walk,
or moderately ride. I guess I did do some thinking but really a hard
workout probably interferes with rumination.

The thing was that the gang had me finishing all the dishes of food.
So I had to work out harder. A tough sacrifice. Maybe I should just
say no next time.

It's a neat Seminar. Our host invites us to this thing. He provides
all food and drink and does all the cooking. We help with minor
chores, dishwashing and such. It's a real privilege to go. He himself
works out twice a day as well. He rides a bike in one gear on a fairly
flat route for an hour in the morning. Then does an hour of rowing in
an old aluminum fishing boat in the afternoon, followed by
calesthenics and a nap. He's 63 and still does 3 sets of 10 chin-ups
on an old swingset. Lean fellow. But his pace is such that he can
think while he exercises. ---But he doesn't have to take thirds on the
food either.

The wine and food is great, tho. He cooks traditional Range dishes
from his family. Porcetta. Patizca. Mmmmm....

What an interesting week.

Oh, our Integrated Studies lesson of the week, gleaned from our
readings in the Gnostic Gospels, is that the proper flow of life's
energy goes from Origin Spirit Soul Ego. If we live in ways that
try to reverse these connections, we run into trouble. Now if we could
only make it so...

--JP
outyourbackdoor.com