Salt Lake City lodging

Old December 22nd 03, 02:35 PM
Walt

Default Salt Lake City lodging

Wombat wrote:

Does anyone know how these Midvale area motels compare for
convenience and how decent the rooms are?

-- Extended StayAmerica

-- Suite6

-- Candlewood Suites

-- Super 8

-- La Quinta

No. But I can recomend the Reston Hotel for an inexpensive decent hotel
with indoor pool/hottub, view of the mountains, free parking, free
breakfast, and as close to the LCC/BCC slopes as anything else in
Sandy/Midvale. Their deal this year is $124/night for two people
including breakfast and lift tickets.

http://www.restonhotelslc.com

--
//-Walt
//

Old December 22nd 03, 03:38 PM
pigo

As they are reasonably known nationwide chains, you should be ok.

Once again I'll recommend www.homesteadvillage.com in Sugarhouse. Nice area.
Good pub and food nearby. Freeway access.

And let me know when you are here if you want to take a couple of runs (or more)
or have a beer or 10.

pigo

"Wombat" wrote in message
Does anyone know how these Midvale area motels compare for
convenience and how decent the rooms are?

-- Extended StayAmerica

-- Suite6

-- Candlewood Suites

-- Super 8

-- La Quinta

Thanks.

--
Last Wombat in Kandahar

Old December 23rd 03, 02:03 AM
pigo

"Wombat" wrote in message
"pigo" wrote in
:

Once again I'll recommend www.homesteadvillage.com in Sugarhouse. Nice
area. Good pub and food nearby. Freeway access.

Thanks. Sugarhouse is booked up. There's one in Mid Valley at 5683 South
Redwood Road but that seems a bit far. Although it appears it might be a
straight shot off 215.

There's one called The Crystal Inn over near that other homestead village. I'll
keep my eye open for some others.

Old December 23rd 03, 02:56 PM
Walt

Bob Lee wrote:

Wombat wrote:

Does anyone know how these Midvale area motels compare for
convenience and how decent the rooms are?

[...]
-- Candlewood Suites

I statyed at one of these in Ann Arbor MI last summer, and I didn't care
much for the place.

And I bet the skiing sucked too. (c:

--
//-Walt
//

Old December 23rd 03, 03:16 PM
Chester Bullock

Walt wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

Wombat wrote:

Does anyone know how these Midvale area motels compare for
convenience and how decent the rooms are?

[...]

-- Candlewood Suites

I statyed at one of these in Ann Arbor MI last summer, and I didn't care
much for the place.

And I bet the skiing sucked too. (c:

I hear water-skiing there is quite nice actually.

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming

Old December 23rd 03, 11:44 PM
Kneale Brownson

Chester Bullock wrote in message ...
Walt wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

Wombat wrote:

Does anyone know how these Midvale area motels compare for
convenience and how decent the rooms are?

[...]

-- Candlewood Suites

I statyed at one of these in Ann Arbor MI last summer, and I didn't care
much for the place.

And I bet the skiing sucked too. (c:

I hear water-skiing there is quite nice actually.

Only "open" water in A-squared is the Urine, er, um, Huron River. The
smell off that body of water was bad when I was at U-M in the 1950's.
Can't imagine how bad it is now. My dad remembered boating on the
Huron (that's rowboating) when he was in school there in the 1930's.

Old December 23rd 03, 11:50 PM
Kneale Brownson

Walt wrote in message ...
Wombat wrote:

Does anyone know how these Midvale area motels compare for
convenience and how decent the rooms are?

-- Extended StayAmerica

-- Suite6

-- Candlewood Suites

-- Super 8

-- La Quinta

No. But I can recomend the Reston Hotel for an inexpensive decent hotel
with indoor pool/hottub, view of the mountains, free parking, free
breakfast, and as close to the LCC/BCC slopes as anything else in
Sandy/Midvale. Their deal this year is $124/night for two people
including breakfast and lift tickets.

http://www.restonhotelslc.com

I spent a week at the Midvale Extended Stay last winter. Best price
I could find in the area. I had a decent space with a useable kitchen
area--stove with oven, full-sized fridge, pots, pans, dishes, etc.
for just over $30 a night. It did lack a toaster, but nearby shopping
center supplied one for under $10. I don't recall the ski area bus
service being convenient to that Extended Stay, though. I drove to
Salt Lake City, so that wasn't an issue for me.

Old December 24th 03, 03:36 AM
bdubya

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:43:15 CST, Bob Lee wrote:

Walt wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

Wombat wrote:

Does anyone know how these Midvale area motels compare for
convenience and how decent the rooms are?
[...]
-- Candlewood Suites

I statyed at one of these in Ann Arbor MI last summer, and I didn't care
much for the place.

And I bet the skiing sucked too. (c:

Is it better in the winter?

I thought of you when we were dining in Ann Arbor last summer. We found
a great new-ish restaurant off Main St. called Cafe Zola. Dinner was
superb, we've eaten there twice (most recently during the thanksgiving
vaca). The mussells and chorizo is highly recommended - I give it two
heels way, way up - and the goat-cheese-stuffed salmon on artichoke
ravioli totally r0cked as well. They told us that dinner is the time
for fine dining - daytimes it's a cafe vibe.

Hoping to finally tackle Mt. Holly or Mt. Trashmore sometime this year.
I've been training for it. Fingers crossed.

I've been looking forward to that trip report for nigh on two years
now; here's hoping.

OTOH, if you're in-state and conditions are not favorable, remember
the mighty twin peaks of Caberfae are not but 3-4 hours away. (Think
Whistler, only in 1:10 scale); The season runs longer there, and I
might even be on-site to help you find your way to the
gooCOUGHCOUGHCOUGH...(damn; I almost kept a straight face for that
one).

bw

Old December 24th 03, 04:06 AM
Walt

Walt wrote:
Bob Lee wrote:
I statyed at one of these in Ann Arbor MI last summer, and I didn't care
much for the place.

And I bet the skiing sucked too. (c:

I hear water-skiing there is quite nice actually.

Only "open" water in A-squared is the Urine, er, um, Huron River. The
smell off that body of water was bad when I was at U-M in the 1950's.
Can't imagine how bad it is now. My dad remembered boating on the
Huron (that's rowboating) when he was in school there in the 1930's.

Environmental regulations have made for much cleaner waterways over
the last forty years. The Cuyahoga hasn't caught fire in recent
memory, and the Huron is in pretty good shape, at least upstream of
town. I kayak on it regularly whenever it's not [ob]ski season. But
I bet it was pretty nasty in pre-Earth Day days.

Of course, nobody waterskis on the Huron river itself, but there are
at least 50 lakes big enough to waterski on within an hour's drive of
A2. But that's probably true of any town in the state.

--
// Walt
//

Old December 24th 03, 04:52 AM
Walt

Bob Lee wrote:
Walt wrote:
Bob Lee wrote:

I statyed at one of these in Ann Arbor MI last summer, and I didn't care
much for the place.

And I bet the skiing sucked too. (c:

Is it better in the winter?

Yes, for some values of "better".

I thought of you when we were dining in Ann Arbor last summer. We found
a great new-ish restaurant off Main St. called Cafe Zola. Dinner was
superb, we've eaten there twice (most recently during the thanksgiving
vaca). The mussells and chorizo is highly recommended - I give it two
heels way, way up - and the goat-cheese-stuffed salmon on artichoke
ravioli totally r0cked as well. They told us that dinner is the time
for fine dining - daytimes it's a cafe vibe.

I've never been there for dinner - always thought of it as a
coffeehouse/brunch kind of place. I'll have to give it a try.

Hoping to finally tackle Mt. Holly or Mt. Trashmore sometime this year.
I've been training for it. Fingers crossed.

Let me know when you're coming. That is if you don't chicken out
this time.

--
// Walt
//