To pole or not to pole

Old January 26th 05, 11:18 PM
John Red-Horse

In article .com,
wrote:

Yes,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele3.jpg

Paul Parker calls these preacher turns. He is not saying that as
a compliment to the skier.

Yes,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele4.jpg

Maybe you haven't seen much?

Actually, following this thread for the past few days has left me
with no doubt: You don't know a damn thing about tele technique. In
powder or otherwise.

Get thee to a certified[tm] tele instructor. When you've logged enough
time on snow with the turning technique you learn to make it (fairly
[ObArmin]) bomber, then get back to us with your take. Until then, you'd
be best served staying quiet and learning from your elders. Like Kurt.

Some hints: You do not have to do a converging step turn; you do not have
to hop and switch; you do not have unweight the new turn's inside ski at
turn initiation, in fact, you will learn that the newer styles of tele
turning emphasize transferring weight to that ski much like you see alpine
racers doing in World Cup ski races.

john

Old January 26th 05, 11:22 PM
tiandiren

Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article .com,

tiandiren
says...

In powder?

Yes,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele3.jpg

http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele4.jpg

An asymmetric wedge? Wow, newz to me...

Maybe you haven't seen much?

'Can't see the wedge. Can you?

Didn't see the "single" ski tip?

Nope haven't seen much,

In fact, the asymmetric wedge is the classic signature of telemark
skiing.

but I took these shots
last season:

http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/images/Thx/k1.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/images/Thx/k2.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/images/Thx/k3.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/images/Thx/k4.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/images/Thx/k5.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/images/Thx/k6.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/images/Thx/k7.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/images/Thx/k8.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/images/Thx/k9.jpg
http://www.xmission.com/~kurt/images/Thx/k10.jpg

I think he has fairly good form in these shots?

He didn't fall, he didn't get stuck, yup, he did the powder.
Is that you?

sting

-K

Old January 27th 05, 01:47 AM
lal_truckee

Kurt Knisely wrote:

I think he has fairly good form in these shots?

No dog.
Old January 27th 05, 07:10 AM
rosco

snoig wrote:

"tiandiren" wrote in message
Upper Dynamic, Sierra-at-Tahoe is a black diamond run, if you want to
deny it, by all means, it's your business; and Heavenly and
Sierra-at-Tahoe don't use "double diamond" to specify trails but only
stated "experts only."

Hmm, I looked at the map. There is no Upper Dynamic trail of which you
speak.

The reason Sierra-at-Tahoe does not have double diamond trails is that
there is no such trail that even comes close to qualifying. There are a
couple of cliff-shots in the 10' range of little consequence in
Avalanche Bowl(I don't huck and I have taken these shots) but even that
really doesn't qualify... the lead to the huck is quite mellow and
Avalanche Bowl itself boasts 200' vertical at best. Air is not
mandetory and the chutes to get through don't need even a single turn.
Fun stuff but not anything that brings fear to the heart.

I believe that our geeky friend was refering to Upper Dynamite. I also
believe he is getting alzimer's, too, as he has once again misidentified
the run he filmed. The interesting display we were treated to is
actually the top of Eastabout.

RAC

Old January 27th 05, 07:14 AM
rosco

Bob Lee wrote:

Crap, I noticed another copy-and-paste mistake.

Bob Lee said:

Another one of crud and steeps that would kick your lame-ass
flatboarding without poles clear off the mountain:
http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/SJ2.../DSC_5617.html

I meant to put in this one to show crud and steep:
http://homepage.mac.com/saemisch/SJ2.../DSC_5634.html

That was a clenchy run. Todd below, me above.

Bob

Makes you feel good about life, huh?

Old January 27th 05, 09:06 AM

tiandiren wrote:
wrote:
tiandiren wrote:

The spirit and the skills of the skier is reflected on the
line he/she left behind.

Yeah, and many of the very best lines out there can only be
reached by utilizing poles or some another method of getting

uphill.

There's no "best" line, just go skiing and enjoy your skiing, then

look
back at the physical line you left behind, do you satisfy the line

you
draw?

Correct, but the most fun stuff is still practically always in
off-piste, in my opinion. It would be simply dumb to do big off-piste
without ways of going uphill.

What's the point of no poles? Having more "freedom" to make
funky postures with your hands?

"And above all, come with skiing without poles, pole-plant is no

longer
needed. While skiing loses its signature "hopping" beats, free-hand
skiing transforms. With free hands elegantly reflecting the balance

of
gravity, as well as playful, flat-boarding becomes truly "free" form

of
skiing."--"Flat-Boarding"--

In my line of thought form follows function. Doing poses with hands
would fall into the "unnecessary" category, I'd rather ski efficiently
and in a centered way, not scattering my arms around so that they
"reflect the balance of gravity". I would guess that when something
unexpected happens under the ski, the farther your arms arte from your
center of gravity the more likely you are to have trouble with balance
(as it takes time to center the arms).

Also, pole-plants have all but disappeared from ski racing anyway,
nowadays people just let the end of the pole skim the surface of snow
in high speed turns so they know exactly where the slope is. I like
that.

Old January 27th 05, 02:02 PM
VtSkier

AstroPax wrote:
On 26 Jan 2005 13:57:42 -0800, "tiandiren"
wrote:

In powder?

Yes,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele3.jpg

You call that **** yellow-colored crap powder????

Looks like "training snow" to me.

Bwaaahaaahaahaa.

BTW, someone needs to learn how to shoot ski pics. That photo looks
like ****. And what's with the poles anyway?

This following link is a skier in some *real* powder...and he's
definitely not flat-boarding:

http://ski.astropax.com/04-05/alta_11-28-04_006.htm

Notice the adjustable poles. We like adjustable poles.

-Astro

Note the ****-eating grin and the ice and
snot-cicles in the beard. Good stuff.
Old January 27th 05, 04:28 PM
tiandiren

John Red-Horse wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Yes,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele3.jpg

Paul Parker calls these preacher turns. He is not saying that as
a compliment to the skier.

Who is Paul Parker? and what is a "preacher turn"? and you say you need
other's compliment to know that you know how to ski?

Yes,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/ski_p_tele4.jpg

Maybe you haven't seen much?

Actually, following this thread for the past few days has left
me with no doubt: You don't know a damn thing about tele
technique. In powder or otherwise.

There's a saying, opinions are like asshole, every one has one;
however, whether or not it counts is anther story.

Get thee to a certified[tm] tele instructor. When you've
logged enough time on snow with the turning technique you
learn to make it (fairly [ObArmin]) bomber, then get back to
us with your take. Until then, you'd be best served staying
quiet and learning from your elders. Like Kurt.

Mediocre at its best, the suggestion that is.

Some hints: You do not have to do a converging step turn; you do not

have
to hop and switch; you do not have unweight the new turn's inside ski

at
turn initiation, in fact, you will learn that the newer styles of

tele
turning emphasize transferring weight to that ski much like you see

alpine
racers doing in World Cup ski races.

Of course, with the hard-shell boots, cable bindings, and short shaped
skis, they should ski like alpine skiers; however, are they still
capable of cross-country touring?

sting

john

pole length steve Nordic Skiing 6 December 22nd 04 04:21 AM
Pole Planting. Mark A Framness Alpine Skiing 4 March 26th 04 04:50 PM
Palm side exit point for pole length measure -JP- Nordic Skiing 1 March 22nd 04 03:02 AM
pole length question Nevalainen, Eric Nordic Skiing 8 February 2nd 04 03:11 AM
Infinity Pole Report - Didn't Snap It Dell Todd Nordic Skiing 0 January 5th 04 02:46 PM