Which Ski?? (Advanced-Intermediate)

Old December 24th 04, 01:16 AM
NIALLBRUCE

Default Which Ski?? (Advanced-Intermediate)

I'm going skiing next week and have been trying to make a list of skis that
would be good to hire. Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be many reviews
online. Nonetheless, I have been able to compile a short list of possibilities.

1. Nordica SUV 12
2. Dynastar Omecarve 8 AIS or 9
3. Volkl 4*
4. Salomon Street Racer 9
5. Head C140
6. Atomic SX7
7. K2 Apache Hellfire
8. Fischer RX 8
9. Rossignol Zenith Z3

The 1st 3 seem to be the best (by far?). I've found really positive reviews for
each of them. Are they the best?
How does the Dynastar Driver compare with the Omecarve? Their website doesn't
seem to feature the Omecarve!
I've checked all their websites and can't distinguish between the 3. Which one
is best? (provided that they are indeed the "top 3")

I read a few favourable reports on the Street Racers but some people indicated
that they weren't class leading. It seems that they're quite an expensive ski
within this group. I'm only going to be hiring skis though so am only
interested in performance.
Head apparently have a good reputation but I couldn't find a ski that really
stands out. Can they compete with the "top 3"?
Numbers 6 to 8 were classified as being a freeride ski but information on these
models was scarce. Again, are they a match for Nordica, Dynastar and Volkl?
Rossignol were identified as being slightly boring. Is this true?

My (dry-slope) instructor said that I was an advanced-intermediate. I can
easily make parallel turns and can carve (thanks to newsgroup advice). I tried
some moguls on the 'snowflex' but they were beyond me. My instructor said that
they were the hardest moguls that he'd ever tried (worse than ice-moguls
apparently) so perhaps my failure doesn't represent my overall ability!? I'm
going on holiday with 3 others who are clear intermediates. Accordingly, I
probably won't be skiing off-piste. Have I considered the correct 'group' of
skis. Should I go for the 'softer' or 'stiffer' models in each range??

Which Ski!! Any opinions??

Thanks in advance!!
Niall
Old December 24th 04, 09:58 AM
pete devlin

In message , NIALLBRUCE
writes
Which Ski!! Any opinions??

Relax! Never heard of any of those skis! Try a few and change them if
you don't like them. I doubt you'll find a shop with all those models to
rent! You're obviously putting too much thought into all this. Chill,
it's about enjoyment. You'll love it when you get there.
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Old December 24th 04, 11:38 AM
ash

All I can say is that I'm extremely happy with my Rossignol Bandit B2s. They
are great on piste and will take you off piste as well when you need it.
Excellent for advanced-intermediates.
Again, I doubt you will get the chance to try out most of the skis on your
list-hire shops don't have a great range.

Old December 24th 04, 12:02 PM
Roger Moss

Seconded - definitely go for the B2s... most of the hire places I saw in
France had them last season.

Enjoy.

RM

Old December 24th 04, 06:15 PM
Sue

In message , pete devlin
writes
In message , NIALLBRUCE
writes
Which Ski!! Any opinions??

Relax! Never heard of any of those skis! Try a few and change them if
you don't like them. I doubt you'll find a shop with all those models
to rent! You're obviously putting too much thought into all this.
Chill, it's about enjoyment. You'll love it when you get there.

It doesn't matter much because snow varies a lot more than plastic does.

Skis are designed for a surface that's perfect for cruising or racing or
whatever the skis are meant for, but you won't often be using them on
that - you'll be using them on one of the other 200 kinds.

My advice would be to let the hire shop supply what intermediates
generally use in your resort but have them 5cm shorter than they
suggest. Short skis slightly improve your chances of hacking your way
out of crowded bumpy bottleneck locations without hitting anyone.
If you find you can't turn the skis, change them - it's the only way to
find out whether it's your fault or theirs.

Enjoy your trip, and do please post back and tell us how you got on

--
Sue ]
Old December 25th 04, 08:11 PM
pete devlin

celery, green onions, and parsley.
Place roast on top with fat side up.
Place uncovered in 500° oven for 20 minutes, reduce oven to 325°.
Bake till medium rare (150°) and let roast rest.
Pour stock over onions and drippings, carve the meat and
place the slices in the au jus.

Bisque à l?Enfant

Honor the memory of Grandma with this dish by utilizing her good
silver soup tureen and her great grandchildren (crawfish, crab or
lobster will work just as well, however this dish is classically
made with crawfish).

Stuffed infant heads, stuffed crawfish heads, stuffed crab or lobster shells;
make patties if shell or head is not available
(such as with packaged crawfish, crab, or headless baby).
Flour
oil
onions
bell peppers
garlic salt, pepper, etc.
3 cups chicken stock
2 sticks butter
3 tablespoons oil

First stuff the heads, or make the patties (see index)
then fry or bake.
Set aside to drain on paper towels.
Make a roux with butter, oil and flour,
brown vegetables in the roux, then add chicken stock and
allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the patties or stuffed heads, and some loose crawfish,
lobster, long piglet, or what have you.
Cook on low for 15 minutes, then allow it to set for at least
15 minutes more.
Serve over steamed rice; this dish is very impressive!

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

Babies really can be found under a cabbage leaf -
or one can arrange for ground beef to be found there instead.

8 large cabbage leaves
1 lb. lean ground newborn human filets, or ground chuck
Onions
peppers
celery
garlic
soy sauce
salt pepper, etc
Olive oil
breadcrumbs
Tomato Gravy (see index)

Boil the cabbage leaves for 2 minutes to soften.
In skillet, brown

Old December 25th 04, 08:19 PM
ash

you can at least get rid of all the leftovers in your refrigerator.

1 - 2 lbs. cubed meat (human flesh, chicken, turkey, beef...)
1 -2 lbs. coarsely chopped vegetables
(carrots, potatoes, turnips, cauliflower, cabbage...)
Bell pepper
onions
garlic
ginger
salt pepper, etc.
Olive oil
butter

Brown the meat and some chopped onions, peppers, and garilic in olive oil,
place in baking dish, layer with vegetables seasoning and butter.
Bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.
Serve with hot dinner rolls, fruit salad and sparkling water.

Bébé Buffet 1

Show off with whole roasted children replete with apples in mouths -
and babies? heads stuffed with wild rice. Or keep it simple with a
hearty main course such as stew, lasagna, or meat loaf.

Some suggestions

Pre-mie pot pies, beef stew, leg of lamb, stuffed chicken, roast pork spiral ham,
Cranberry pineapple salad, sweet potatoes in butter, vegetable platter, tossed salad with tomato and avocado, parsley new potatoes, spinich cucumb

Old December 25th 04, 09:22 PM
Sue

Place breast side up in a large metal roasting pan.
Bake in 325° oven covered for 2 hours.
Remove cover, stick a cooking thermometer deep into one of the
baby?s buttocks and cook uncovered till thermometer reads 190°,
about another hour.

Pro-Choice Po-Boy

Soft-shelled crabs serve just as well in this classic southern delicacy.
The sandwich originated in New Orleans, where an abundance of abortion clinics
thrive and hot French bread is always available.

2 cleaned fetuses, head on
2 eggs
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 cup seasoned flour
oil enough for deep frying
1 loaf French bread
Lettuce
tomatoes
mayonnaise, etc.

Marinate the fetuses in the egg-mustard mixture.
Dredge thoroughly in flour.
Fry at 375° until crispy golden brown.
Remove and place on paper towels.

Holiday Youngster

One can easily adapt this recipe to ham, though as presented,
it violates no religious taboos against swine.

1 large toddler or small child, cleaned and de-headed
Kentucky

Old December 25th 04, 10:02 PM
NIALLBRUCE

with wine, return meat to the pan and season well.
Stew on low fire adding small amounts of water and
seasoning as necessary.
After at least half an hour, add the carrots and potatoes,
and simmer till root vegetables break with a fork.
Cook a fresh pot of long grained white rice.

Pre-mie Pot Pie

When working with prematurely delivered newborns (or chicken) use sherry;
red wine with beef (buy steak or roast, do not pre-boil).

Pie crust (see index)
Whole fresh pre-mie; eviscerated, head, hands and feet removed
Onions, bell pepper, celery
½ cup wine
Root vegetables of choice (turnips, carrots, potatoes, etc) cubed

Make a crust from scratch - or go shamefully to the frozen food section
of your favorite grocery and select 2 high quality pie crusts (you
will need one for the top also).
Boil the prepared delicacy until the meat starts to come off the bones.
Remove, de-bone and cube; continue to reduce the broth.
Brown the onions, peppers and celery.
Add the meat then season, continue browning.
De-glaze with sherry, add the reduced broth.
Finally, put in the root vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly.
Place the pie pan in 375 degree oven for a few minutes so bottom crust is not soggy,
reduce oven to 325.
Fill the pie with stew, place top crust and with a fork, seal the crusts together
then poke holes in top.
Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until pie crust is golden brown.

Sudden Infant Death Soup

SIDS: delicious in winter, comparable to old fashioned Beef and Vegetable Soup.
Its free, you can sell the crib, baby clothes, toys, stroller... and so easy to
procure if such a lucky find is at hand (just pick him up from the crib and
he?s good to go)!

SIDS victim, cleaned
½ cup cooking oil
Carrots
onions
broccoli
whole cabbage
fresh green beans
potato

Old December 25th 04, 10:10 PM
Roger Moss

bambino on hand,
you can use a pound of ground pork instead.
The secret to great meatballs, is to use very lean meat.

1 lb. ground flesh; human or pork
3 lb. ground beef
1 cup finely chopped onions
7 - 12 cloves garlic
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
½ cup milk, 2 eggs
Oregano
basil
salt
pepper
Italian seasoning, etc.
Tomato gravy (see index)
Fresh or at least freshly cooked spaghetti or other pasta

Mix the ground meats together in a large bowl,
then mix each of the other ingredients.
Make balls about the size of a baby?s fist
(there should be one lying around for reference).
Bake at 400°for about 25 minutes -
or you could fry them in olive oil.
Place the meatballs in the tomato gravy, and simmer for several hours.
Serve on spaghetti.
Accompany with green salad, garlic bread and red wine.

Newborn Parmesan

This classic Sicilian cuisine can easily be turned into Eggplant Parmesan
If you are planning a vegetarian meal. Or you could just as well use veal -
after all, you have to be careful - Sicilians are touchy about their young
family members...

6 newborn or veal cutlets
Tomato gravy (see index)
4 cups mozzarella, 1cup parmesan, 1cup romano
Seasoned bre