Boot fitter - La Tania

Old February 16th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike Clark

Default Boot fitter - La Tania

In message
Ace wrote:

[snip]
Once I'd cracked it I had to learn to ski all over again, as every
single type of turn felt completely different. Nowadays I can wear any
old boots, like my current touring ones, which are about as closely
fitting as a pair of wellies, without any adverse effects. Which is
nice.

For many years I was skiing both on- and off-piste using just my touring
equipment. I'd had my touring boots properly fitted at Footworks in
Chamonix, but obviously being touring boots they only give limited
support and control. So a few years ago I went and had a pair of
downhill boots fitted and have spent about one third of the time in
downhill boots and two thirds in my touring boots (usually as separate
trips). I'm convinced that practising with properly fitted downhill
boots has improved my technique no end. However having improved using
downhill boots I find I can quickly adapt to the looser fitting touring
boots and still ski well.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old February 16th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mads Bondo Dydensborg

Ace wrote:

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:59:21 +0100, Mads Bondo Dydensborg
wrote:

I am on my second pair of fitted boots, which I got about 3 weeks ago, and
have just skiied a week on. I still have problems (I seem to be moving
forward in the boot - my heelp seems to be slipping about 3-5 mm forward
during the day, and my pinkies seems to suffer from this). But I am now on
a level of pain that I can endure for the whole day, while I used to be
unable to have my boots clamped for more than an hour at most. I am taking
the boots to my fitter (which I do not know how good is) next week -
hopefully he can help me out.

Without wishing to sound condescending[1] have you considered taking
some advanced lessons?

It seems to always stay with the thought ;-)

IME problems like this are nearly always caused
by less than perfect technique, which can sometimes be corrected very
quickly. Sometimes not, of course, as was the case with me some years
back. Your symptoms sound identical to what I used to be like, and it
took two weeks worth of lessons with BASI Trainers before we got to
the root of the problem.

In my case, it was due to the lack of use of a single muscle in the
shin, with which I was failing to pull my shins, and therefore knees,
forward to get my weight properly centred.

Interessting. I used to have very forward leaning, very stiff boots, and in
those, I did not seem to slip forward (but, I did have all kind of pains,
especially along the outerside of the right foot, and was unable to have
the boot (losely!) clamped for more than an hour or so). It seems obvious
however, that that could be a problem with my technique. Another thing is
that I usually spend quite a long time waiting for the kids and the wife to
get down the hills (usually skiing after them, not from them ;-). When I
stand around, I tend to stand upright - perhaps my foot is shifting in the
boot during that time? And, I should add, that taking t-lifts is absolutely
the worst I can do. If I can stay on chairs for the day, I do not have any
problems with my feet.

Another symptom I experienced during the trip I have just returned from, was
that I got some small wounds on the frontside of the lower leg, approx. 20
cm from the base of the foot. I see two explanations for this: either I
_do_ lean forward, and therefore wear the skin, or, I do not lean enough
forward, and overcompensate by clamping up very tight in the vertical part
of the boot.

I have never considered taking a lesson in order to identify the cause of my
foot pain. Thanks for the suggestion, I will make sure to get a lesson on
my next trip.

Regards,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old February 16th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:54:41 GMT, Mike Clark
wrote:

In message
Ace wrote:

[...]

That's pretty much my take on it too - up until a couple of years ago
I was firmly[1] in the 'closely fitted boots are best' camp, until my
wife and I skiied for a couple of days when on a US business trip.
Long story short, we both ended up with very poorly-fitting rental
boots, but to our astonishment we were able to ski wthout any problems
whatsoever.

We'd both been doing a lot of training in the prior few years, and had
clearly crossed some barrier where we no longer needed the boots to
hold us in position but were able to do so ourselves. Now we both use
touring boots all the time (although she has the Garmont one, which is
about as close as you can get to a normal downhill boot) and no longer
have painful feet.

[1] No pun intended
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 16th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:45:18 +0100, Mads Bondo Dydensborg
wrote:

I have never considered taking a lesson in order to identify the cause of my
foot pain. Thanks for the suggestion, I will make sure to get a lesson on
my next trip.

If you're planning on doing this, make sure you find a good instructor
who's used to this sort of problem diagnosis - a lot of the normal
Ski-school instructors may not be qualified or experienced enough, so
seek one out in advance. A quick google of BASI trainers would be a
good starting point, or ask either on here or find the Ski Club rep in
resort who will normally be happy and able to point you in the
direction of a trusted instructor.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 16th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Martin Rise Christensen

wrote:

I have never considered taking a lesson in order to identify the cause of
my
foot pain. Thanks for the suggestion, I will make sure to get a lesson on
my next trip.

Regards,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

May I suggest,
http://dendanskeskiskole.dk/da/dds_k...ivelse/teknik/ - they
are very seriuos, and it has improved my skiing ability by 400% or so.

--
Martin Rise Christensen
Work is for people that don't know how to ski - so why do I work?

Old February 17th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mads Bondo Dydensborg

Ace wrote:

That's pretty much my take on it too - up until a couple of years ago
I was firmly[1] in the 'closely fitted boots are best' camp, until my
wife and I skiied for a couple of days when on a US business trip.
Long story short, we both ended up with very poorly-fitting rental
boots, but to our astonishment we were able to ski wthout any problems
whatsoever.

We'd both been doing a lot of training in the prior few years, and had
clearly crossed some barrier where we no longer needed the boots to
hold us in position but were able to do so ourselves.

Hmm. I have been told, that if the boot is not tight, the foot will be more
tense, thereby induce pains.

I have no problems actually skiing with very loose, even open boots. But the
pain used to be worse with my old boots, loose worn, than my new boots
tightly worn:

bearable: new boots tight
slightly worse: new boots looser
bad: old boots loose
worst: old boots tight

So, I am a bit confused here.

Btw: Whats the difference between touring and downhill boots? (I am
unfamiliar with the words, perhaps not the concept :-)

Regards,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on
the Christian religion." -George Washington, November 4, 1796

"No, I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor
should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-George H. W. Bush, August 27, 1987

Old February 17th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mads Bondo Dydensborg

Martin Rise Christensen wrote:

I have never considered taking a lesson in order to identify the cause of
my
foot pain. Thanks for the suggestion, I will make sure to get a lesson on
my next trip.

May I suggest,
http://dendanskeskiskole.dk/da/dds_k...ivelse/teknik/ - they
are very seriuos, and it has improved my skiing ability by 400% or so.

Thanks, that looks very nice. I think it might just be slightly hard to
combine with a family vacation however... :-) And, I am not sure my wife
would appreciate me taking a week off (from the family) during the summer
in order to improve my skiing. (Definitively worth asking, but I guess I
know the answer).

Hmm. It seems there are many opinions on the cause of foot pain, from
Plantar Fasciitis, over badly fitted boots, to lacking ability. :-)

I just wish I could get my feet to stop hurting for good ;-)

Regards,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

I don't say this lightly. However, I really think that the U.S. no longer
is classifiable as a democracy, but rather as a plutocracy.
- H. Peter Anvin

Old February 19th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike Clark

In message
Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

[snip]
Btw: Whats the difference between touring and downhill boots? (I am
unfamiliar with the words, perhaps not the concept :-)

Touring boots are intended for use with touring bindings such as the
Frischi Diamir, or the Dynafit Tourlight, bindings. These boots and
bindings have a walk mode so that when skinning uphill, or walking and
carrying skis, or when using crampons, they provide more of the comfort
of a plastic winter mountaineering boot. They also have walking soles
with treads which provide grip when walking, but which mean they cannot
safely be used in ordainary ski bindings because they would not release
at the appropriate DIN settings. Touring boots usually provide a
compromise between comfort when walking and skinning, versus support
when skiing downhill. Some touring boots have an elaborate system of
straps and clips, as well as different forward lean positions, to try to
achieve the best downhill performance, but most of them are still much
less supportive than dedicated downhill boots. But they are usually
warmer and more comfortable to wear all day.

eg see

http://www.alpine-guides.com/ski%20m...vice.htm#Boots

Mike
Old February 19th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Devs

In message , Stan Mullery
writes
In the morningsIi do up my two foot clips normally and only just hook
in my two leg clips whilst walking to the gondola etc. and getting up
the mountain.

Many I time I've skied for a couple of hours and only when I've sat
down for elevenses have I realised I hadn't done my boots up.

Clips are for poofs, unless of course you are in powder and don't like
wet feet.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"