Resources for the newly-hooked!

Old March 14th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Resources for the newly-hooked!

Thanks to everyone for their replies so far. How best to choose
roller-skiis for the novice roller skier? Obviously safety is a
factor esp. since I've never done it...thanks.

Wear a helmet! I think the slower rollerskis you buy, the safer it
is. (So you don't get too out of control on downhills). But, really
slower rollerskis might not be the best idea for a beginner. One with
a brake might be a good choice, especially if you have to rollerski
around automobile traffic. For inexpensive rollerskis, you might want
to check out www.rollerskishop.com.

Old March 14th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ken Roberts

IronDocBill wrote
roller-skiis for the novice roller skier? Obviously safety is a factor

Once you say "rollerskis" you've already stepped off the road of "obviously
safety". You're well into, "What compromises on safety am I willing to
make?".

The compromises depend greatly on the environment (motor + non-motor +
pedestrian + dog traffic ?) + terrain (hilly? unpaved?), and the training
approach and goals (exact simulation of skiing speeds? versus some sort of
skiing-relevant training). And the techniques of XC skiing are so
complicated that most people are much more likely to learn helpful motions
faster by training often with a group of skiers with similar goals.

So one strategy is not to run out quickly to purchase the "correct" pair
of rollerskis. Instead first find a good training group. See how they're
playing the safety compromises and what sorts of equipment they're using.
(and what _binding_ system so you can quickly find some good off-season
deals on _boots_ that fit your feet well and are compatible with their
binding systems, so you might be able to swap skis and rollerskis with them
to try things out.)

Another "factor" to consider as the snow season does not seem to be getting
longer is: "What equipment would be more _fun_ to be using for 8 months of
the year?" (Since it's likely going to take you more than a couple of years
to get good at XC skiing, that's adding up to lots of months to compromise
on fun.) Hint: Rollerskis are not usually ranked at the top of the "summer
fun" list.

For another option in the trade-offs on safety and snow-specific and fun,
you might want to consider the K2 Nordic Workout inline skates. Not a
rollerski, but they're supposed to have slower bearings in the wheels that
are more like the resistance of snow. (? maybe can purchase the bearings
separately to use with a different model of inline skate ?) Most inline
skates are much better for emergency turning maneuvers and quick stopping
than most rollerskis (provided lessons and regular practice in inline-skate
stopping techniques).

If safety is on your list, among rollerskis I would give priority to models
with variable speed resistance. The manufacturer I know of with the most
experience in variable resistance is Jenex. Jenex also has more experience
with active braking systems, but nothing close to inline skate manufacturers
like Salomon, K2, Rollerblade.

Ken

Old March 14th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jan Gerrit Klok

"Ken Roberts" schreef in bericht
news3_Jh.16270$mh7.15033@trnddc04...
For another option in the trade-offs on safety and snow-specific and fun,
you might want to consider the K2 Nordic Workout inline skates.

After seeing Ken's video's of him working out on blades, I think that's an
excellent suggestion. And, blades are safer than inlines in any traffic
situation : they come with brakes and steering.

I've been doing some searches, and especially the Continental wheels for it,
available in 80 and 90mm, as what making them slow. Those wheels were
developped by Conti be "rain" wheels. And reports do state that in the rain
they simply grip amazingly well...but rolling like throughdeep clay.
Convenient for folks like ourselves that like to use poles for propulsion
(try poling at 25mph for more than a few secs...).
Deals are to be had on the 80mm wheels. I can't find deals on the K2 nordic
blades, am looking at getting cheaper "fast" 4x90mm skates and buying the
wheels extra, so I can enjoy blading in two ways :
1- both-hands-on-back, slow movements, high speed.
2- ski-skating, at speeds similar to those on snow.
Mixing wheels, if sizes match, MIGHT make for rain-proof, semi-slow rolling.

Old March 14th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

"Ken Roberts" wrote:

months to compromise on fun.) Hint: Rollerskis are not usually
ranked at the top of the "summer fun" list.

Speak for yourself. I enjoy rollerskiing - among other activities.
Inline skates are fun but not skiing specific for reasons that have
been long and well discussed here and elsewhere. I think the important
thing to convey about safety is that it's going to take some time to get
comfortable on rollerskis, maybe up to about 18 months from scratch
depending on your background and abilities, and so the you (Bill)
should be patient with the learning curve. Light full-fingered gloves,
knee and elbow pads, and a helmut are basic safety equipment.
Check at the local cross country ski shop to find the local nordic
clubs(s) early on is a good idea. Going for the lowest cost is not. You
need to figure out whether skate or classic or combi is the best first
choice, get boots that are comfortable (and have good ankle support),
and then choose the appropriate bindings. Neither the slowest skis,
which means higher resistance and higher HRs at slow speed, nor faster
skis with too little resistance, low HRs and a scarier ride for you are
optimal. A brake is not necessary unless you are in terrain or a
location that requires it. Why would you be at this point? There's a
tendency to be overly safety cautious in the initial purchase, rather
than focus on choosing spots to rollerski where safety is less
worrisome.

rm
Old March 14th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ken Roberts

rm wrote
Speak for yourself.

The time has come to acknowledge that "Ken Roberts" has never been
speaking "for himself". "Ken Roberts" is a pseudonym for a secret group of
five current and retired national ski coaches of Germany, Austria, and
Switzerland. Our goal has been to try to stimulate the Americans out of
their complacency, to give our sport a broader international character in
attracting bigger sponsorship. Once every two months we meet and make a list
of skiing issues, and for each issue we flip a Swiss franc coin, and that
determines whether we make "Ken Roberts" make arguments for what we know to
be the correct view -- or for the opposite. For each two-month period, one
of us had the task of writing these convoluted arguments, translating them
into rudimentary English, and sort of plausibly introducing them into the
rec.skiing.nordic newsgroup. But our effort has failed, so now we are
turning toward Asia.

But this rollerski topic is a unique case. At our last meeting a person with
glowing skin and brightly-colored robe appeared, uttered words we could not
understand, and left behind a metal tablet. Afterward we had the tablet
analyzed and it was a silver-platinum alloy. On it were engraved words in an
alphabet and language we had never seen before. We sent a copy of the
message to a leading computer language service, and the translation into
English was:
"Rollerskis are not ranked at the top of the summer fun list."

So that sentence was not from "Ken Roberts" speaking "for himself". We
believe it was a message from an Angel.

Ken

P.S. Whoever or whatever does "rm" speak for?

Old March 15th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

romat writes:

romat "Ken Roberts" wrote:
months to compromise on fun.) Hint: Rollerskis are not usually
ranked at the top of the "summer fun" list.

romat Speak for yourself. I enjoy rollerskiing - among other activities.
romat Inline skates are fun but not skiing specific for reasons that have
romat been long and well discussed here and elsewhere. I think the important
romat thing to convey about safety is that it's going to take some time to get
romat comfortable on rollerskis, maybe up to about 18 months from scratch
romat depending on your background and abilities, and so the you (Bill)
romat should be patient with the learning curve. Light full-fingered gloves,
romat knee and elbow pads, and a helmut are basic safety equipment.

I added a roller hockey girdle, after getting a hip pointer my first
time out on roller skis. Hit a crack in the pavement and hit my hip
hard, hurt for 6 weeks. Haven't fallen again, but I still want the
hips and tush protection the girdle gives. Not too hot either, as it
is designed for summer use.

romat Check at the local cross country ski shop to find the local nordic
romat clubs(s) early on is a good idea. Going for the lowest cost is not. You
romat need to figure out whether skate or classic or combi is the best first
romat choice, get boots that are comfortable (and have good ankle support),
romat and then choose the appropriate bindings. Neither the slowest skis,
romat which means higher resistance and higher HRs at slow speed, nor faster
romat skis with too little resistance, low HRs and a scarier ride for you are
romat optimal. A brake is not necessary unless you are in terrain or a
romat location that requires it. Why would you be at this point? There's a
romat tendency to be overly safety cautious in the initial purchase, rather
romat than focus on choosing spots to rollerski where safety is less
romat worrisome.

romat rm

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)

Old March 15th 07, 11:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
IronDocBill

On Mar 14, 6:17 pm, wrote:
"Ken Roberts" wrote:
[...]

Again...many thanks to all...my plan is to roller-ski within the
confines of the Toronto parks/trails system until I feel somewhat
proficient and then I may add some residential street travel to/from
the gym.

Old March 16th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

On Mar 14, 7:08 pm, "Ken Roberts"
wrote:
The time has come to acknowledge that "Ken Roberts" has never been
speaking "for himself". "Ken Roberts" is a pseudonym for a secret group of
five current and retired national ski coaches of Germany, Austria, and
Switzerland.....

I found this one of the funniest posts for quite a while.

If the weather is cool, I too enjoy rollerskiing. When it's 75 F or
warmer and the humidity is up, rollerskiing generates too much heat.
I've done my share of soaking boots and making gloves stink with
slime, and this is on a trail that's almost completely covered with
trees. In July and Aug, you should be prepared to get out of the rack
early and be done by 10.

Jay W (speaking for film photographers that ski)