Xmas ideas?

Old November 18th 11, 01:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Alun Evans

Default Xmas ideas?

On Fri 11 Nov '11 at 12:15 PipL wrote:

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:36:58 +0100, Ace wrote:

Which reminds me - AFAIK you've still never skiied Engelberg. Doesn't
really suit your bill for a good supply of "intermediate terrain",
unless you count steepish reds in that category, but right up there in
the must-ski of the off-piste world. And absolutely tons of the
'side-piste' stuff you mention.

Talking of which, I assume there's only one Engelberg, the one with
the Titlis mountain, yes?

Looking at the piste map, there appear to be a few langlauf tracks
there. This is probably not your area, but are they likely to have
novice friendly tracks & instruction?

Be aware that being good on alpine skis does not help you that much on
touring

You can certainly do wedges on nicely bashed stuff, but in the soft snow
it's terrifying, I spent a lot of time on the ground at all odd angles.

As the family ski holiday plan has been shelved this year, I'm
currently looking at the idea of doing two separate weeks: one week
novice Nordic skiing in Norway (I've wanted to go back and do this for
years) and one earlier week mostly snowboarding (probably on mostly
pistes or edges of pistes and novice areas of the snowpark), but maybe
with a couple of mornings of Nordic skiing instruction in preparation
for the Norway trip.

I did a full week ski-tur through DNT hytte with a Norwegian friend,
that was with a largish backpack (5kg), and no XC experience.

Was great fun.

The following year with the full 10-15kg pack was great fun too, even if
often I was head down in powder with a backpack holding me down, whilst
Norwegians "friends" skied passed an hit me on the rear with their
poles.

Ahh, good times

I think the DNT does tours, though they may be at busy times of the
years.

A.

--
Alun Evans