At least 165 homes destroyed in Lake Tahoe wildfire

Old June 25th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ted Waldron

Default At least 165 homes destroyed in Lake Tahoe wildfire

http://tinyurl.com/2du48h

MEYERS, California (AP) -- A wind-driven wildfire destroyed at least 165
homes and other structures and scorched 750 acres just southwest of Lake
Tahoe, a spokesman for the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department said
Sunday.
Sheriff's Lt. Kevin House said the fire is less than 5 percent contained
and has more than 500 homes in its path, but no injuries or deaths have
been reported. The cause of the fire is still unknown.
"This thing is raging out of control, and there's no estimate as to when
that may change," House said. (Watch how patrons of a popular resort had
to flee the blaze)
The El Dorado County Board of Supervisors has issued a declaration of
emergency, House said.
Kit Bailey, the agency's fire chief for Lake Tahoe, said high winds
hampered the battle against the fast-moving fire about five miles south
of the lake. The Angora Lakes Resort and hundreds of homes in Meyers
were evacuated, authorities said.
"I can't stay on the phone. We just got a notice to evacuate," Gloria
Hildinger of the Angora Lakes Resort said. "The smoke is getting pretty
thick. It's probably two miles away, and we're hoping it won't reach
here."
Winds as high as 25 mph fanned the flames, and the National Weather
Service called for gusts as high as 35 mph Sunday evening.
"They're definitely having problems with the winds up there," said Linda
Curran of the Camino Interagency Dispatch Center. "The fire has a rapid
rate of spread because of the winds."
At least five air tankers and two helicopters were assisting more than
400 firefighters on the ground.
The fire, believed to be caused by human activity, was reported Sunday
afternoon on Forest Service land. Its huge smoke plume could be seen for
miles.
State and federal fire officials had warned of a potentially active
wildfire season in the Sierra Nevada following an unusually dry winter.
The annual May 1 snow survey found the Tahoe-area snowpack at just 29
percent of normal levels, the lowest since 1988.
Earlier this month, a fire forced residents to flee the eastern Sierra
community of Coleville, and there have been several other troublesome
fires in the region since mid-May.
Meanwhile, in Alaska, crews worked to protect hundreds of homes tucked
in the hills of the scenic Kenai Peninsula, where a fire has already
destroyed dozens of homes and cabins.
It has burgeoned to 81 square miles since Tuesday, consuming 35
far-flung cabins in the Caribou Hills, state fire information officials
said. Forty other structures, including sheds and outhouses, were also
lost in the popular hunting and snowmobiling area about 80 miles south
of Anchorage.
The fire threatens another 600 homes and cabins, Hall said. An
evacuation order has been in effect since Friday, but fire officials
said an unknown number of residents have refused to budge.
Bob Evenson, a fire volunteer, said the 16-by-16-foot winter cabin he
built with his brothers nearly 30 years ago has probably been destroyed.
He had removed everything but a cook stove and a wood stove because
bears sometimes explore the unlocked plywood building when no one is
around.
"We're over the point of worry, and there's nothing we can do about it
right now," Evenson said. "The sad part about losing all the cabins is
it's a good place to take the family."
Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
*
Old June 27th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Wayne Decker

My heart goes out to my neighbors to the north. Not that it isn't bad
enough but it can only get worse with such a low water year.

Old June 27th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ted Waldron

In article ,
"Wayne Decker" wrote:

My heart goes out to my neighbors to the north. Not that it isn't bad
enough but it can only get worse with such a low water year.

Here is an article from the San Francisco Chronicle website (SF Gate)
explaining that this was a disaster waiting to happen.

http://tinyurl.com/34bybc

What makes it worse are the winds, and the winds help the firefighter
contain it better today...I don't know what the water supply situation
is up in Tahoe, I assume lal-truckee has more indepth details about this
tragedy...

News==----
Newsgroups

Old June 27th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Ted Waldron wrote:
In article ,
"Wayne Decker" wrote:

My heart goes out to my neighbors to the north. Not that it isn't bad
enough but it can only get worse with such a low water year.

Here is an article from the San Francisco Chronicle website (SF Gate)
explaining that this was a disaster waiting to happen.

http://tinyurl.com/34bybc

What makes it worse are the winds, and the winds help the firefighter
contain it better today...I don't know what the water supply situation
is up in Tahoe, I assume lal-truckee has more indepth details about this
tragedy...

We're 30-40 miles away - don't know anything but what's on the Reno news
internet sites.

There's plenty of water - steams are still flowing (I can see snow from
the deck that feeds Coldstream,) natural lakes are full (reservoirs are
way down) and of course they can pump out of Tahoe itself -
inexhaustible. Actually there are lots of lakes in and around the main
South Tahoe fire zone itself, near as I can tell from memory, reports,
and maps.

But it's hot and windy - that's the problem.

Related: the coincident smallish brush fire down in west Reno was
nearing my boy's apartment complex before they contained it.
Old June 27th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
Ted Waldron wrote:
In article ,
"Wayne Decker" wrote:

[...]

My step-daughter, who lives in the Talloc neighborhood of South
Lake Tahoe had to evacuate yesterday. The fire is just to the
south of this area. As of this morning, she still had a house
and all are safe, staying at a friend's house.

Old June 27th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:

My step-daughter, who lives in the Talloc neighborhood of South
Lake Tahoe had to evacuate yesterday. The fire is just to the
south of this area. As of this morning, she still had a house
and all are safe, staying at a friend's house.

Really hope their house makes it - I've seen first hand how losing your
house can affect people. My wife's brother lost their long-time family
house in the Oakland fire.

These things turn into a construction industry feeding frenzy, nce the
ash settles.
Old June 27th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Default Ping: Ichin Shen

How about a fire update. Inquiring minds, etc.
Those with family there are even more curious.
Old June 28th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
How about a fire update. Inquiring minds, etc.
Those with family there are even more curious.

The local news sources probably have better overall information than
even someone living in the middle of the mess.

Try:
Reno Gazette-Journal
http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Sierra Sun
http://www.sierrasun.com/

KRNV TV
http://www.krnv.com/

KOLO TV
http://www.kolotv.com/news
Old June 28th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jun 27, 4:55 pm, VtSkier wrote:
How about a fire update. Inquiring minds, etc.
Those with family there are even more curious.

Yah, lal_truckee was right, the traffic to the burning area is
restricted, so we locals don't really have more information than those
reported on the news, and KCRA (http://www.kcra.com/), a Sacramento TV
station, has extensive report on the fire and latest information. I
haven't kept track of the numbers, as they were sketch, changing, and
some times in conflict. The good news is there's no additional home/
structure being burnt since last Sunday. The stronger wind forecasted
for yesterday didn't materialize, so the fire fighters have made a
good progress to set up the fire lines and the fire is reported 55%
containment.

An even stronger wind is forecasted for today and tomorrow, so the
whole town still at the edge, but I think that the fire crews start to
gain an upper hand now; they have done a tremendous job.

As for today we haven't heard/seen anything new, so it is no news is
good news, and USFS estimates the fire will be totally contained by
July 3rd, just in time for the July 4th fire works, weird.

'later,
IS

Old June 28th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
How about a fire update. Inquiring minds, etc.
Those with family there are even more curious.

The local news sources probably have better overall information than
even someone living in the middle of the mess.

Try:
Reno Gazette-Journal
http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

Sierra Sun
http://www.sierrasun.com/

KRNV TV
http://www.krnv.com/

KOLO TV
http://www.kolotv.com/news

Actually I found this one most helpful. Step-daughter sent
it to us...
http://www.inciweb.org/incident/725/

lake Tahoe Ski rentals Mike Alpine Skiing 5 January 24th 07 09:24 PM
Lake Tahoe Mike Alpine Skiing 13 July 7th 06 09:32 PM
Lake Tahoe A A North American Ski Resorts 2 February 20th 04 02:34 AM
in lake tahoe 1/25 Traz99999 Alpine Skiing 0 January 16th 04 11:31 AM
Lake Tahoe end Mar..beg Apr spike North American Ski Resorts 6 December 22nd 03 01:44 AM