Speed poll

Old June 3rd 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

Default Speed poll

In article . com,
taichiskiing wrote:

On May 31, 12:36 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,

You're wrong.

Not sure if Andrea would agree with you,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/an...eavenly_nevada 002.mpg

I wonder what you think that video proves...

IS

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."
Old June 4th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jun 3, 11:02 am, Alan Baker wrote:
In article . com,

taichiskiing wrote:
On May 31, 12:36 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,

You're wrong.

Not sure if Andrea would agree with you,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/an...vada%20002.mpg

I wonder what you think that video proves...

Don't you see the 4-yr old enjoyed the bump skiing and in-n-out of
trees? It seems that she didn't care about whether what you said is
right or wrong, and/or what you said that she didn't do it right
really doesn't matter?

You have a narrow definition of what is "right" or "wrong."

IS

IS

Old June 4th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

taichiskiing wrote:
On May 31, 12:36 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
You're wrong.

Not sure if Andrea would agree with you,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/an...vada%20002.mpg

I wonder what you think that video proves...

Don't you see the 4-yr old enjoyed the bump skiing and in-n-out of
trees? It seems that she didn't care about whether what you said is
right or wrong, and/or what you said that she didn't do it right
really doesn't matter?

There was no "bum skiing" and there were no trees.

Moreover, the issue was whether you were right or wrong, not the 4 year
old girl.

You have a narrow definition of what is "right" or "wrong."

No. An ordinary definition.

You think you know that kids that age can't be given instruction: you're
wrong. It's really that simple.

Old June 4th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jun 4, 12:03 pm, Alan Baker wrote:

taichiskiing wrote:
On May 31, 12:36 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
You're wrong.

Not sure if Andrea would agree with you,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/an...vada%20002.mpg

I wonder what you think that video proves...

Don't you see the 4-yr old enjoyed the bump skiing and in-n-out of
trees? It seems that she didn't care about whether what you said is
right or wrong, and/or what you said that she didn't do it right
really doesn't matter?

There was no "bum skiing" and there were no trees.

It should be "'bump' skiing" instead of "bum skiing," right?
If it is not your denial, then you don't know how to "read" the video.

Moreover, the issue was whether you were right or wrong,
not the 4 year old girl.

When the 4-yr-old's action proves you are "not right," it invalids
your statement, so is your reasoning about "right" or "wrong."

You have a narrow definition of what is "right" or "wrong."

No. An ordinary definition.

And someone here/RSA was saying there's no right or wrong in skiing
earlier? What "definition" do you use for your "right" or "wrong"?

You think you know that kids that age can't be given
instruction: you're wrong. It's really that simple.

No, I didn't say that kids at that age can't be given instruction,
only said I "don't" give them instruction. Can't tell the difference?
So, maybe it is you "simply" wrong?

IS

Old June 5th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

taichiskiing wrote:
On May 31, 12:36 pm, Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
You're wrong.

Not sure if Andrea would agree with you,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/an...vada%20002.mpg

I wonder what you think that video proves...

Don't you see the 4-yr old enjoyed the bump skiing and in-n-out of
trees? It seems that she didn't care about whether what you said is
right or wrong, and/or what you said that she didn't do it right
really doesn't matter?

There was no "bum skiing" and there were no trees.

It should be "'bump' skiing" instead of "bum skiing," right?
If it is not your denial, then you don't know how to "read" the video.

It should have been "bump" of course, but there were no bumps on that
run. Hint: just because the snow isn't as flat as a table doesn't mean
that there are "bumps" or that one is "bump skiing".

And then there's your out and out lie about "in-n-out of trees"...

Moreover, the issue was whether you were right or wrong,
not the 4 year old girl.

When the 4-yr-old's action proves you are "not right," it invalids
your statement, so is your reasoning about "right" or "wrong."

But the 4 year old's action proves nothing of the kind.

First, even if she learned by your non-method, that doesn't mean she
couldn't have learned quicker and better with an instructor who actually
knew what he (or she) was doing.

Second, I doubt she actually learned by your method.

You have a narrow definition of what is "right" or "wrong."

No. An ordinary definition.

And someone here/RSA was saying there's no right or wrong in skiing
earlier? What "definition" do you use for your "right" or "wrong"?

The version were when you make a statement that is wrong (that there is
no way to teach skiing to a 4 year old other than to just let them go do
it), it's wrong.

You think you know that kids that age can't be given
instruction: you're wrong. It's really that simple.

No, I didn't say that kids at that age can't be given instruction,
only said I "don't" give them instruction. Can't tell the difference?
So, maybe it is you "simply" wrong?

Sure I can tell the difference. But why would you say "don't" to an
instructor who's been doing it successfully; who's received training in
*how* to do it successfully? Could it be because you don't have a clue
about how to teach skiing? Yeah...

Anyway, it amounts to the same thing: you claiming to know it all.

Well you don't. You haven't got much of a clue about anything, actually.
Old June 5th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jun 4, 5:13 pm, Alan Baker wrote:

taichiskiing wrote:
[...]

Oops, wrong clips, try this one,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/an...vada%20001.mpg
(I'm just unloading it, you may have to wait a bit to see it, given
your fast responding time.)

Moreover, the issue was whether you were right or wrong,
not the 4 year old girl.

When the 4-yr-old's action proves you are "not right," it invalids
your statement, so is your reasoning about "right" or "wrong."

But the 4 year old's action proves nothing of the kind.

Yes, her action provides a counter example of your statement, i.e. in
logical term, disproving your statement.

First, even if she learned by your non-method, that doesn't mean she
couldn't have learned quicker and better with an instructor who actually
knew what he (or she) was doing.

The opposite argument may be true as well.

Second, I doubt she actually learned by your method.

Actually, she didn't have ANY lesson (from me or any other person,
including her parents); that's to say/prove what you said about
"right" or "wrong" technique and teaching method are irrelevant [to
her], so your claims are "disproved" by her action.

You have a narrow definition of what is "right" or "wrong."

No. An ordinary definition.

And someone here/RSA was saying there's no right or wrong in skiing
earlier? What "definition" do you use for your "right" or "wrong"?

The version were when you make a statement that is wrong (that there is
no way to teach skiing to a 4 year old other than to just let them go do
it), it's wrong.

That's your "wrong" stipulation. I only stated that they [may] learn
better on they own. Your elementary school teacher's mentality shows.

You think you know that kids that age can't be given
instruction: you're wrong. It's really that simple.

No, I didn't say that kids at that age can't be given
instruction, only said I "don't" give them instruction.
Can't tell the difference? So, maybe it is you "simply" wrong?

Sure I can tell the difference. But why would you say "don't"
to an instructor who's been doing it successfully; who's
received training in *how* to do it successfully? Could it be
because you don't have a clue about how to teach skiing? Yeah...

"Your elementary school teacher's mentality shows."

Anyway, it amounts to the same thing: you claiming to know it all.

Well you don't. You haven't got much of a clue about anything, actually.

Yup, speak for yourself.

IS

Old June 5th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

taichiskiing wrote:
[...]

Wow.

You making a mistake...

Moreover, the issue was whether you were right or wrong,
not the 4 year old girl.

When the 4-yr-old's action proves you are "not right," it invalids
your statement, so is your reasoning about "right" or "wrong."

But the 4 year old's action proves nothing of the kind.

Yes, her action provides a counter example of your statement, i.e. in
logical term, disproving your statement.

No. Her actions provided nothing of the kind.

First, even if she learned by your non-method, that doesn't mean she
couldn't have learned quicker and better with an instructor who actually
knew what he (or she) was doing.

The opposite argument may be true as well.

Hence, her actions aren't relevant.

Second, I doubt she actually learned by your method.

Actually, she didn't have ANY lesson (from me or any other person,
including her parents); that's to say/prove what you said about
"right" or "wrong" technique and teaching method are irrelevant [to
her], so your claims are "disproved" by her action.

So you say. Your credibility is somewhat... ...lacking.

You have a narrow definition of what is "right" or "wrong."

No. An ordinary definition.

And someone here/RSA was saying there's no right or wrong in skiing
earlier? What "definition" do you use for your "right" or "wrong"?

The version were when you make a statement that is wrong (that there is
no way to teach skiing to a 4 year old other than to just let them go do
it), it's wrong.

That's your "wrong" stipulation. I only stated that they [may] learn
better on they own. Your elementary school teacher's mentality shows.

Nope. You stated you believe the *do* learn better on their own.

"I think that they ski better on their own than follow any instructor's
instructions."

And nothing you have shown here demonstrates the truth of your belief.

You think you know that kids that age can't be given
instruction: you're wrong. It's really that simple.

No, I didn't say that kids at that age can't be given
instruction, only said I "don't" give them instruction.
Can't tell the difference? So, maybe it is you "simply" wrong?

Sure I can tell the difference. But why would you say "don't"
to an instructor who's been doing it successfully; who's
received training in *how* to do it successfully? Could it be
because you don't have a clue about how to teach skiing? Yeah...

"Your elementary school teacher's mentality shows."

What do you think the quotation marks mean?

My experience as a ski instructor shows.

I've taught children. *Lots* of children. Cypress Mountain where I
instruct has a program with the local schools to teach kids skiing, so I
teach children every day from January to March.

I also give lessons to kids dropped off by their parents and I've taught
kids younger than age 4.

How many lessons to kids have you done in total?

Anyway, it amounts to the same thing: you claiming to know it all.

Well you don't. You haven't got much of a clue about anything, actually.

Yup, speak for yourself.

I'm fairly certain that I'm speaking for pretty much everyone who sees
you write about skiing in here.

Old June 5th 07, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article .com,
taichiskiing wrote:

Actually, she didn't have ANY lesson (from me or any other person,
including her parents); that's to say/prove what you said about
"right" or "wrong" technique and teaching method are irrelevant [to
her], so your claims are "disproved" by her action.

Okay, that is just stupid and dangerous. If you are going to o that,
someone needs to be right on top of her. Sliding on skis may be
something that a kid can pick up immediately and intuitively, but
control and stopping isn't.

I was up at Tahoe about 8 years ago (though this may happen every year)
and a 6 year old had gotten of the lift and ran straight into a tree and
died. I wonder if it was someone like this who never had "ANY lesson."
Old June 5th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article .com,
taichiskiing wrote:

[...]

Sorry, but traversing a few bumps and going around *one* tree set out in
the middle of the run isn't "bump skiing and in-n-out of trees".

Old June 5th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

On Jun 5, 9:56 am, Alan Baker wrote:
In article .com,
taichiskiing wrote:
[...]

Wow, you've already see/read it? My computer still shows it is
uploading at 59%?

Yes, I call that "bump skiing" and "tree skiing" for the 4-yr old.
Especially when she did it on her own.

Your narrow version shows.

IS

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

A personal poll [email protected] Alpine Skiing 17 March 12th 07 04:31 PM
Poll on avalanche safety [email protected] Backcountry Skiing 4 June 16th 05 02:57 PM
Poll on avalanche safety [email protected] Alpine Skiing 0 June 7th 05 08:47 PM
SCOTT POLL UPDATE Jeff Alpine Skiing 3 February 23rd 05 01:29 PM
Inliner speed vs. Rollerski speed Bob Creasote Nordic Skiing 25 September 25th 03 08:26 PM