Best Prescription Goggle Option?

Old November 21st 12, 05:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Best Prescription Goggle Option?

I have a dry eye issue so wearing contacts while skiing is not much of an option for me. I've been researching and have found 3 options. Anyone have an opinion or advice on which option is best?

1) Bolle Rx Goggles | http://www.rxskigoggles.com/
2) Bolle Rx adapter inserts | http://www.ski-prescription.com/
3) LibertySports | http://www.libertysport.com/products...?codectgr=1028

Old November 21st 12, 07:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 11/21/12 10:43 AM, wrote:
I have a dry eye issue so wearing contacts while skiing is not much of an option for me. I've been researching and have found 3 options. Anyone have an opinion or advice on which option is best?

1) Bolle Rx Goggles |
http://www.rxskigoggles.com/
2) Bolle Rx adapter inserts | http://www.ski-prescription.com/
3) LibertySports | http://www.libertysport.com/products...?codectgr=1028

You don't include glasses inside goggles, especially fan goggles. Mine
work fine, except the Smith fan switch is failure prone. I replaced my
switch with a $2 battery+switch box from radio shack.

Wife's had hers for 20+ years and still uses them - old tech, no switch
problems. I ski more (a lot more) and I've had two pair in 10 years and
expect another 2-3 years on current setup.

BTW, from casual talk I understand just about any optometrist can make a
pair of plastic lenses to fit (glue into) any goggles.
Old November 24th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Thank you lal_truckee. Interesting comment about an optometrist gluing lenses into any goggles. I may ask my optometrist about this idea.

I thought about prescription glasses under goggles, but I have 2 concerns about that option. 1) the frames are metal and the lenses are generally not poly carbon lenses...so, there seems to be a safety issue with this option. 2) I think the glasses might night sit tight especially with me being a snowboarder.

The prescription sunglasses with removable wind/snow guards seems to be a versatile option.

Old November 26th 12, 04:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 11/23/2012 09:24 PM, wrote:

Thank you lal_truckee. Interesting comment about an optometrist
gluing lenses into any goggles. I may ask my optometrist about this
idea.

I thought about prescription glasses under goggles, but I have 2
concerns about that option. 1) the frames are metal and the lenses
are generally not poly carbon lenses...so, there seems to be a safety
issue with this option. 2) I think the glasses might night sit tight
especially with me being a snowboarder.

The prescription sunglasses with removable wind/snow guards seems to
be a versatile option.

I wore prescription sunglasses until I face-planted and broke the frame
(fixed with superglue), but not the lenses. I could never find goggles
that were comfy over glasses. Same with a full-face motorcycle helmet.

If I couldn't wear contacts+goggles I'd get big polycarb bifocal lenses
in a plastic frame and hope for the best.

Just how bad are your eyes? I'm something like +2 and +4 with 3D of
astigmatism, I've tried skiing without correction, but I like to
actually SEE the surface -- I'm not good at dealing with bumps.

Single-vision glasses from Zenni or Goggles4U (China mail order) aren't
all that expensive, and the quality is no worse than what you'd get
here, and sometimes better.

--
Cheers, Bev
There are 10 types of people in this world,

Old November 26th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Thanks for your input Bev.
Old December 1st 12, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

I decided to order Bolle goggles with the Rx adapter that installs on the inside of the Goggles. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Total cost was $120. I really was tempted to get the LibertySports SnowRiders, but the total cost was going to be $350. I like that the Bolle + Rx Adapter are real over the helmet goggles and it seems safer that glasses over goggles...not to mention glasses over the goggles has an issue with fogging and just being uncomfortable. I'm a snowboarder, so i need something that will deal with the demands of snowboarding.
Here's a link to the Goggle: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87492
Here's the link to the Rx Adapter: http://www.opticsplanet.com/bolle-go...ear-lense.html
Old December 1st 12, 09:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

No one gives a ****, gumby. The people you are talking to are stalkers, criminals, pathological liars, and all around assholes. And the mere fact that you post to this ******** and ignore their vileness makes you an asshole..