what kind of board should i get? ;)

Old October 9th 07, 09:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

Default what kind of board should i get? ;)

Hey,

Just a quick comment: I thought this talk of being really sick and tired
of people asking "what kind of board should I get?" reeks of elitism and
"holier than thou-ness."

While I can totally understand the frustration, and not ragging on
anyone, I appreciate everyone's input here -- what do you propose the
new snowboarders do to get their info? The FAQ? Sure, but it helps to
have real-time, back and forth feedback. I know it helped me on the surf
and snowboard newsgroups way back when. Do you want them to ask at a
dealer and get some board shoved down their throat that they don't need?
Query a manufacturer and get sold a top line board they don't need? Or,
heaven forbid, ask on a Web forum???

Maybe it's just that I've been gone for five years or whatever, not yet
jaded, and I'm fine with the question.

So please, if anyone wants advice on anything - boards, boots, bindings,
travel (I know all over U.S. -- so far), good beer after riding,
snowbaord history, what kind of vehicle is best in teh snow -- WHATEVER!
(Yes, I'm shouting.)

Ask your questions! I, for one, will answer if possible and as soon as
possible. I try to give balanced, accurate advice without being colored
by any one manufacturer. I've been at this since the early 1990s, so
fire away. I only put my future company in the sig *occasionally* to
sort of get the word out that it's coming. How far in the future? Who
knows, it's something I'm doing on the side. I could build one board
(and I will), I could build three, or I could build 3000. I am not
pushing my company, I do other things for pay.

Donek was a good example, and one person I'd like to emulate --
excellent, unbiased info, no marketing, great product, from what I hear.

Apologies to those who have stuck it out here for so long (Champ,
Switters, etc.). I understand completely. Just don't want to shut out
the good people who want to learn how to get on snow and ride -- they
are the rippahs of the future after all!

Good day,

-jw
--
rise snowboards inc.
vermont, usa
Old October 9th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article ,
jw wrote:

Hey,

Just a quick comment: I thought this talk of being really sick and tired
of people asking "what kind of board should I get?" reeks of elitism and
"holier than thou-ness."

Sorry guys, this was probably an uncalled for rant. Especially just
stepping back in here after so long. *I* probably won't even be in here
that much this winter, although you never know, depends on work level,
etc.

But, I do enjoy helping people out, getting started, advancing their
skills, etc., as I'm sure you do too.

As for my snowboard company, who knows? I'd love to make it happen and
will slowly work toward it with my connections...but I gotta make a buck
in the meantime. Maybe after I really "retire" from my current line of
work (freelance).

That said, Pray For Snow! (Didn't someone -- Bob F? -- say the Cascades
are getting some? Points North in New England might be getting some from
the upcoming forecast "nor-easter" type storm).

-jw
Old October 14th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On Oct 9, 3:06 pm, jw wrote:
In article ,

jw wrote:
[...]

Burton boards are the way to go...also UNity snowboards out of
Silverthorne Colorado havea solid set up...they were named good-wood
of the year in 2005..other than that, have fun in the pow-pow

Old October 15th 07, 09:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article om,
wrote:

On Oct 9, 3:06 pm, jw wrote:
In article ,

jw wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info! Yes, Burton is good. I have a lot of ...uh...
"experience" with them, you might say:

http://the_urchin.home.comcast.net/photos/logos1.html

Rome also good, but you could make a list ten pages long listing all the
good boards, so I won't even try. Now I ride Santa Cruz. Have ridden
Burton, K2, Morrow, Original Sin, Nitro, others. I don't promote one
over the other...just try as many as you can and go rip on the one you
like best!

Haven't tried Unity....will check em out.

-jw
--
jsw's new england surf page
http://the_urchin.home.comcast.net/index.html
Old November 6th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

On 15 out, 07:30, jw wrote:
In article om,

wrote:
On Oct 9, 3:06 pm, jw wrote:
In article ,

jw wrote:
[...]

and...no commercials!- Ocultar texto entre aspas -

- Mostrar texto entre aspas -

Do you want to learn how to snowboard really really well? GREAT!
You've probably heard about this site and are ready to push your
riding to the next level. I'm sure you've seen a lot of trick tips and
articles out there that do very little to help your riding. As you
continue to read on you are about to learn a totally revolutionary
"learn to snowboard system."

We are Matt Belair and Neville Lapwood, two of Canada's top
professional freestyle coaches. Our chosen location is Whistler,
British Columbia Cananda, the snowboard mecca of the world and home to
some of the best pro's, coaches and parks on earth!
check this out
http://tinyurl.com/2offnq

Old November 6th 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw

wrote:
On 15 out, 07:30, jw wrote:
In article om,

Haven't tried Unity....will check em out.

-jw

Do you want to learn how to snowboard really really well? GREAT!
You've probably heard about this site and are ready to push your
riding to the next level. I'm sure you've seen a lot of trick tips and

Who give a ****?

A) Spam is against this group's charter, chump.

B) If you feel the need to annoy everyone on Usenet -- do not,
I repeat, do NOT do it in reply to one of my posts.

C) I already ride "really really well," if not better, so...eat my
spray.

I generally don't reply to spam, but this place is so dead, it's
the only new post that has shown up in two weeks. Except for
the other spam.

So, to alleviate some boredom, why not let the spammer know
he's spamming?

Anyone else stoked to snowboard? ;-)

-jw

Old November 6th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article om,
jw wrote:

wrote:
On 15 out, 07:30, jw wrote:
In article om,

Haven't tried Unity....will check em out.

-jw

Do you want to learn how to snowboard really really well? GREAT!
You've probably heard about this site and are ready to push your
riding to the next level. I'm sure you've seen a lot of trick tips and

Who give a ****?

Following up to my own post again. I couldn't care less, I snowboard my
butt off and can't wait to get on the snow. I feel like I'm talking to
myself here anywway, since there's nobody else posting, except spammers.

This sounded kind of harsh, but IMO it is spam, even if it's
snowboarding related. It had nothing to do with my original post, here
or in the other one.

That said, I wish the original poster luck with the site and school or
whatever it is -- I forget now.

-jw
Old November 6th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

"jw" wrote in message
ps.com...

Anyone else stoked to snowboard? ;-)

I just picked up a $99 used Burton Canyon, hopefully to replace my previous $20
K2 Fatbob. I loved the Fatbob for pow and crud, and even on packed runs as long
as they weren't too icy. I'm hopeful the Canyon will have more pop for
manuevers, and handle icy conditions better. It is also longer (162) than the
Fatbob (155). My previous Ride Profile was probably a better board than the
fatbob, but I was constantly booting out on hard carves. I'm really looking
forward to trying out the Canyon.

Ahh! The life of a budget rider.

Less than a month to the first scheduled instructor clinics. I probably won't
get up before that even if the area opens, as I won't get my pass before then.

Bob

Old November 7th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
jw[_2_]

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

"jw" wrote in message
ps.com...

Anyone else stoked to snowboard? ;-)

I just picked up a $99 used Burton Canyon, hopefully to replace my previous
$20
K2 Fatbob. I loved the Fatbob for pow and crud, and even on packed runs as
long
as they weren't too icy. I'm hopeful the Canyon will have more pop for
manuevers, and handle icy conditions better. It is also longer (162) than the
Fatbob (155). My previous Ride Profile was probably a better board than the
fatbob, but I was constantly booting out on hard carves. I'm really looking
forward to trying out the Canyon.

Sounds nice! That's a great deal on the Canyon, assuming it's in good
shape, which it probably is or you wouldn't have bought it. And twenty
bucks for a Fatbob? Sheesh, where the heck to you find these things?

Fifteen or whatever years ago (just for context), I started out riding
boards that were mostly in the 155 - 158 range. (I'm 5'9" and 150lbs. --
could do the metric conversion, but not enough time right now...suffice
to say, I'm a little guy. ) I moved up in length to a Burton
SuperModel 162 about ten years ago, then bought another 158 (Original
Sin team - used). Most recently, I am riding a Santa Cruz 164 wide
board, even with only size 9 feet. It is super responsive, stable in
hard pack and powder, carves beautifully, very fast, and I can get some
good air time off the rollers, or table tops in park, etc. Wouldn't want
to try to spin the thing though, and I'm not that type of rider anyway.
I've sold most of the other boards -- had four at a time once -- but
kept an old A.deck 155, in very good condition for its age, to loan to
learning friends, brother, etc. I've probably covered some of this
before, but want to talk snowboards, so....

Here's a picture of the old A.deck when it was a lot newer (second one
down):

http://the_urchin.home.comcast.net/~...otos/snow.html

Ahh! The life of a budget rider.

I know, I'm usually on a tight budget too. Snowboarding and skiing will
do that to you, unless you're a pro. Is there still time for a geezer
like me to turn pro? haha.

Less than a month to the first scheduled instructor clinics. I probably won't
get up before that even if the area opens, as I won't get my pass before
then.

Snow in Maine yesterday (Sugarloaf got some from about a third of the
way up, on up to the summit), and I think Killington, VT also got a
little natural and has started to blow the guns. Others have as well,
I'm sure.

-jw
Old November 7th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

jw wrote:
Most recently, I am riding a Santa Cruz 164 wide
board, even with only size 9 feet.

I find it weird that 164 is about the longest you can find in the shop
these days. My main ride is a Coiler AM 172, and if conditions are soft
I'll be on my Rad-Air Tanker 200.

Neil

Another kind of glide gr Nordic Skiing 0 March 1st 07 03:51 AM
I want a do it all kind of... Jrobb Snowboarding 0 January 19th 07 10:34 PM
My Kind of New Years Party AstroPax Alpine Skiing (moderated) 5 January 3rd 04 01:23 AM
My Kind of New Years Party AstroPax Alpine Skiing 0 December 31st 03 05:55 AM
My Kind of Christmas Present AstroPax Alpine Skiing (moderated) 1 December 25th 03 05:54 PM