Dogs in the Cottonwoods

Old March 8th 05, 07:33 PM
uglymoney

Default Dogs in the Cottonwoods

No dogs in the canyons. Apparently the don't want dog crap in the
cities pristine drinking water. Fine. I think its a ridiculous law,
but I am someone who is able to conform to most laws. I did not allow
my precious little dog to wander or even step foot on either canyon
floor.

However I heard talk..

No dogs in a car in the canyons? Could this be possible? While
skiing last week and taking a lunch break with my dog (who was safely
in the back of my wagon hidden behind deeply tinted windows, only
visible from behind since I had the hatch open) I was approached by a
woman who wanted to know how I got a permit for dog possession - I
told her I didn't have one and she seemed disturbed somehow) and then
a nice guy approached with a desire to pet my dog. I allowed him the
honor of giving Summit some strokes and he then informed me that I
best keep my dog out of sight or risk a ticket!

WHAT!!!!

You mean to tell me that some jackass sherrif would give me a ticket
for possessing a self contained dog inside of my car? Is that even
possible? Constitutional?

Whatever. I didn't worry about it, I just continued to ski and enjoy
my week in Utah with full knowledge that if I did happen to get a
ticket for dog possession in a canyon the money spent on that ticket
would be the last penny I ever spent skiing in Utah.

I received no ticket despite risking more lunch's with my dog and an
open hatch, and so I am blessed with the ability to return to Utah
with my dog, who is really the only true ski companion that I have
since I possess no girlfriend of any type.

So is it true? Tell me it isn't so!

nate

safely back in Iowa where dogs are still legal and allowed to ****
most anywhere.
Old March 8th 05, 08:05 PM
Marshall Banana

Also Sprach uglymoney :
No dogs in the canyons. Apparently the don't want dog crap in the
cities pristine drinking water.

Wow. So where do the deer, bear, coyote, bunnies, etc poop?

Dan

--
I know engineers. They love to change things.

-- Leonard H. "Bones" McCoy
Old March 8th 05, 08:15 PM
uglymoney

On 8 Mar 2005 21:05:45 GMT, Marshall Banana wrote:

Also Sprach uglymoney :
No dogs in the canyons. Apparently the don't want dog crap in the
cities pristine drinking water.

Wow. So where do the deer, bear, coyote, bunnies, etc poop?

Dan

Exactly my thoughts. I even saw a tame looking coyote around sunset
running down the road from Alta to Snowbird. Looked like he was
pretty familiar with the area.

Wonder where that thing ****s? Do deputies give wild coyote's tickets
or do they just shoot all wildlife dead?

Whatever. Honestly, as a law obiding citizen now with full knowledge
of this law, it may be difficult for me to return to ski the C.
Canyons unless I fly in, which would mean that I would not have my dog
with me.

I can afterall spend my ski dollars wherever I like, and of course,
the people of Utah will hardly care if I ski elsewhere.

Thankfully I avoided a ticket, and now I am reading, possibly DOG
CONFISCATION AND IMPOUNDMENT! That would have absolutely been
horrible. Jesus, even the thought of having my dog forcibly taken
from me makes me angry.

Are they even serious?

nate

Old March 8th 05, 08:16 PM
TexasSkiNut

uglymoney wrote:
[...]

Google turned up a few hits. Looks like there may be some truth to it.

From
http://www.frankstehno.com/sagemesa/destinations/utah/wasatchmts/bigcottonwood.htm:
"Dogs cannot be taken into a watershed area. Dogs cannot even be in a
car in the watershed areas. This does not apply to seeing eye/hearing
dogs or law enforcement dogs. Horses and any other domestic animal are
also restricted." and "Violations constitute a class "B" misdemeanor
and a citation is issued to most violators."

From http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/wcnf/recreation/watershed.shtml:

"Salt Lake City - County Health Regulation #14 (watersheds) is
authorized by Utah Code Annotated 26-24-20. It is unlawful for any
person:
- to permit a dog (s) to be taken into the watershed area. This does
not apply to seeing eye/hearing dogs or law enforcement dogs.
- to deposit any human excreta within the watershed area other than
into approved toilets.
These regulations apply in the entire canyon area from ridge top to
ridge top, not just in the immediate area of surface water."

This last one implies that you better not make any pit-stops on-slope
unless you head inside.

Old March 8th 05, 08:37 PM
Mary Malmros

Do any of these regs cite just what it is they're afraid of? Has there
been some kind of a problem in the past?

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old March 8th 05, 09:35 PM
bdubya

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 21:15:27 GMT, uglymoney
wrote:

[...]

Weird. I note that www.keepitpure.com is aliased to the SLC water
department. Makes me glad my town takes steps to MAKE it pure, rather
than pretend that it starts out that way....

bw
Old March 8th 05, 09:52 PM
TexasSkiNut

Mary Malmros wrote:
Do any of these regs cite just what it is they're afraid of?
Has there been some kind of a problem in the past?

Not that I found. Were you expecting logic, reason, and/or common
sense to have been fully exercised in the regulation's creation?

Old March 8th 05, 10:02 PM
Mary Malmros

TexasSkiNut wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:

Do any of these regs cite just what it is they're afraid of?
Has there been some kind of a problem in the past?

Not that I found. Were you expecting logic, reason, and/or common
sense to have been fully exercised in the regulation's creation?

Never having been to the area in question, and knowing nothing of its
regulatory bodies, I wasn't particularly expecting anything. I just
wondered if there were some issue specific to domestic dogs but not to
wildlife. As it happens, in my town every household is responsible for
its own water supply (and we know not to drink out of the river, too).
Groundwater can become contaminated, but on the whole, I guess I'm
happier with my current situation than depending on municipally treated
water.

Old March 9th 05, 01:10 AM
Norm

"TexasSkiNut" wrote in message
oups.com...
uglymoney wrote:
No dogs in the canyons. Apparently the don't want dog crap in the
cities pristine drinking water. Fine. I think its a ridiculous law,
but I am someone who is able to conform to most laws. I did not

allow
my precious little dog to wander or even step foot on either canyon
floor.

http://www.frankstehno.com/sagemesa/destinations/utah/wasatchmts/bigcottonwood.htm:
"Dogs cannot be taken into a watershed area. Dogs cannot even be in a
car in the watershed areas. This does not apply to seeing eye/hearing
dogs or law enforcement dogs. Horses and any other domestic animal are
also restricted." and "Violations constitute a class "B" misdemeanor
and a citation is issued to most violators."

In BC I know of at least one trail in Rogers Pass and another at Mt Robson
where you are not allowed to take your dog. Signs all make reference to
maintaining the watershed. Funny thing is we walked around a lot of bear
**** and deer **** right on those trails. Guess they don't read very well.

Old March 9th 05, 02:47 AM
Jack Nixon

uglymoney wrote:

[...]

I saw the no dogs sign years ago and drove away. Our dog meant more to me
than Cottonwood Canyon did. Haven't been back even though that dog and its
predecessor are both gone to Dog Island.

Jack

Dogs hate 'em, too Jeff Alpine Skiing 94 March 8th 05 01:11 PM
Scottee caught lying again Terd Fartingmor Alpine Skiing 107 March 13th 04 04:35 AM
Sled dog training... Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 14 December 3rd 03 02:01 PM