Massive Snow Dump at Tahoe!

Old January 2nd 05, 08:15 PM
Black Metal Martha

Default Massive Snow Dump at Tahoe!

It took the ski bus 8 hours to get back from Tahoe last night. Argh!

With that said, I skied at Squaw yesterday while the blizzard raged. It
was really windy, so the top was closed and the snow was nice and soft
and coming down hard. The wind ripped the snow in your face and felt
like gravel. Ouch!

The runs were really limited, but I imagine that around Tuesday or
Wednesday of this week, conditions will be perfect. I won't get back up
until next Saturday, but it still should be beatiful then.

Martha

Old January 2nd 05, 09:04 PM
VtSkier

Black Metal Martha wrote:
It took the ski bus 8 hours to get back from Tahoe last night. Argh!

With that said, I skied at Squaw yesterday while the blizzard raged. It
was really windy, so the top was closed and the snow was nice and soft
and coming down hard. The wind ripped the snow in your face and felt
like gravel. Ouch!

The runs were really limited, but I imagine that around Tuesday or
Wednesday of this week, conditions will be perfect. I won't get back up
until next Saturday, but it still should be beatiful then.

Martha

I want you all to watch out. Two years ago I skied Tahoe areas. Kirkwood
was great, when I got to Squaw it was raining. It rained all night the
night before and all day while I was there.

In early December, I also went to Tahoe. The weather was fine while we
were there, but the weather gods knew I was coming and elected to
provide snow in the liquid form two days before I got there. Grooming
was great, but because of the rain everything was limited.

Now, I'm planning to go again the last week in February. I don't want
any of the rest of you booking ski vacations during that period on the
probability that it will rain. Just a warning now, not a prediction.

VtSkier

Old January 2nd 05, 09:33 PM
Black Metal Martha

VtSkier wrote:
I want you all to watch out. Two years ago I skied Tahoe areas.

Kirkwood
was great, when I got to Squaw it was raining. It rained all night

the
night before and all day while I was there.

In early December, I also went to Tahoe. The weather was fine while

we
were there, but the weather gods knew I was coming and elected to
provide snow in the liquid form two days before I got there. Grooming

was great, but because of the rain everything was limited.

Now, I'm planning to go again the last week in February. I don't want

any of the rest of you booking ski vacations during that period on

the
probability that it will rain. Just a warning now, not a prediction.

VtSkier

I don't think you have a thing to worry about this year. I'll be up
that time of February, as I'm usually up at Tahoe very other weekend
(if I can afford it). It's a good time to go.

Martha

Old January 3rd 05, 01:10 AM
Mike

Where'd you ski? Did they have Red Dog/Squaw Creek open? That one run
under the top of the red dog chair can be amazing in those conditions. All
those lower tree runs are awesome- there's even some fun short stuff off of
exibition that's good!

Mike

oups.com...

Old January 3rd 05, 07:20 PM
Black Metal Martha

Mike wrote:
Where'd you ski? Did they have Red Dog/Squaw Creek open? That one

run
under the top of the red dog chair can be amazing in those

conditions. All
those lower tree runs are awesome- there's even some fun short stuff

off of
exibition that's good!

Mike

I'm not that great of a skier to appreciate the blizzard conditions,
I'm afraid. I did my runs off Exhibitions and around the back side out
of the wind it was fine, but it was blizzard conditions on the front
side. I couldn't see at all in front of me, so it really spooked me. I
took each run slowly and it took everything out of me. I didn't ski
nearly as long as I wanted to.

I'm going to Homewood (I think) this Saturday. It should be much better
then.

Martha

Old January 3rd 05, 08:27 PM
lal_truckee

Black Metal Martha wrote:

I'm going to Homewood (I think) this Saturday. It should be much better
then.

Nuts. Everybody's discovering Homewood - lay off - it's supposed to be a
local's only secret stash.

[Oops. What have I done?]

Old January 3rd 05, 09:12 PM
MattB

lal_truckee wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:

I'm going to Homewood (I think) this Saturday. It should be much better
then.

Nuts. Everybody's discovering Homewood - lay off - it's supposed to be a
local's only secret stash.

[Oops. What have I done?]

Hmmmm. "Note to self..."

Old January 3rd 05, 09:58 PM
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
Black Metal Martha wrote:

I'm going to Homewood (I think) this Saturday. It should be much better
then.

Nuts. Everybody's discovering Homewood - lay off - it's supposed to be a
local's only secret stash.

[Oops. What have I done?]

You've steered them clear of Alpine Meadows.

Old January 4th 05, 03:55 AM
Mike

"Black Metal Martha" wrote in message
oups.com...
I did my runs off Exhibitions and around the back side out
of the wind it was fine, but it was blizzard conditions on the front
side.

Yeah in those conditions it's best to stick to the trees if you can. That's
what Homewood is good for. Actually, Northstar is really good when you can't
see anywhere else. But what's with those flatstar ticket prices?

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Black Metal Martha wrote:

I'm going to Homewood (I think) this Saturday. It should be much better
then.

Nuts. Everybody's discovering Homewood - lay off - it's supposed to be a
local's only secret stash.

[Oops. What have I done?]

Sorry to double quote... anyway you guys can have Homewood. If you live up
there, maybe you can deal with the old school chair lifts.

Old January 4th 05, 04:32 PM
lal_truckee

Mike wrote:

Sorry to double quote... anyway you guys can have Homewood. If you live up
there, maybe you can deal with the old school chair lifts.

Heh - old lifts. Not many youngsters have had the privilege of rope tow
experience these days, for which my boy must thank Homewood:

Homewood still had a rope tow years ago when I took my boy out for his
first ski lesson. You ever try to haul a one year old up a rope tow?
Just because I had him with one arm hooked under his chin in a head lock
and the rope in the other hand the little tyke decided to scream bloody
murder. People were looking, and might have intervened until they saw it
was a ski lesson. Since any kind of abuse goes in ski lessons (you awake
foot2foot?) the observers relaxed again.

After one run between my legs he loved it and hasn't looked back...
So; at 23 he's skied every year of his life except his zero year, which
year I carried him around on skis; and his minus year, which year he
skied as a passenger through the 8th month.