CSM report?

Old February 16th 04, 02:12 AM
Pete Hickey

Default CSM report?

In article ,
Eddy Rapid wrote:

"Pete Hickey" wrote
seem to remember it being 168km back in the early 90's. Almost
90km one day, and 70km the next.... Took a quick look for my old
papers, but didn't find them, do memory could be wrong.

The oldest route map that I managed to find in my basement is from 1996
(Gatineau to Lachute) when I did my first Gold:

83.4 (day 1), 78.2 (day 2) = 161.6 km

OK... you made me go down into the basement and go through
my old filing cabinet.... My book from '91.. Don't have
the detailed map, but this talks about skiing 170 km....
That concussion didn't mess up my memory.

Now, I remember when I did it, it was a bit less than 170,
and I know it's been gradually getting a bit less, but seeing
the 15x distance, seemed like a lot less to me...
You know... Like how $1.99 seems like a lot less than $2.00

so that bang on my head didn't mess up my

"It's a sad day for american capitalism when a man
can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park."
J. Moran
Old February 16th 04, 11:48 AM
David Dermott

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Pete Hickey wrote:

I seem to remember it being 168km back in the early 90's. Almost
90km one day, and 70km the next.... Took a quick look for my old
papers, but didn't find them, do memory could be wrong.

I did CSM bronze in 1989 (attemped silver in 1990 but DNF). Here are
the sections from 89/90. It was Lachute-Montebello-Gatineau those years.
Saturday #1: 16 km; #2: 13 km; #3: 15 km; #4: 24 km; #5: 12 km
Total: 80 km; 3 pm cutoff is 68 km

Sunday #1: 18km; #2: 14km; #3 16km; #4: 22km; #5: 19km
Total: 89 km; 3 PM cutoff is 70 km
Grand total: 169 km

Met some friends at the Keski (one of them a 20-something timer)
who were bugging me 'cause I don't do the marathon anymore.

A local friend of mine finished 2 or 3 Golds in the early 90's I'll
pass on these reorts to him. He keeps in touch with a friend in Ottawa
(Richard Higgins ?) who has done about 20 Golds

Someday I hope to return and get silver. It sounds like it's
"easier??" these days with set tracks!

-- Class of '89 (bronze) #1272

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old February 16th 04, 01:15 PM
Eddy Rapid

The Montebello-Buckingham segment is easier and shorter (~72 km). However,
the Lachute-Buckingham segment is longer (84 Km), and last year in the
East-to-west direction (from Lachute) the cut-off was at 71 km, but with the
cut-off extended to 3:15 pm -- it still got lots of good CdBs. It's fair to
say that the CSM is a bit easier in terms of distance. It is much better
organized in terms of track setting and the checkpoints than in the 80s.

I think there is some pressure, especially from some of the older CdB, like
me, to have CSM coursed such that they have a good chance of finish. In my
view, the CSM should remain very challenging for any CdB, and should stay
very close to the 160 km distance, and just a bit above it. I would try to
add some more to the Montebello-Buckingham segment, and take a few from the
Lachute-Montebello segment.

Parham.

"David Dermott" wrote

Old February 16th 04, 04:53 PM
Pete Hickey

In article ,
David Dermott wrote:

Someday I hope to return and get silver. It sounds like it's
"easier??" these days with set tracks!

I wouldn't say eaasier.. different. There are more skiers these
days... lots more... without the better trails, a lot of people
would miss the cutoff due to lineups.. With the better trails
it is easier to pass.... Different set of problems.

The marathon is 90% mental, and half physical.