Naxo NX21 AT binding--- Anyone using these?

Old March 18th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Naxo NX21 AT binding--- Anyone using these?

Howdy!

My new skis came in the mail, and I'm going to put new bindings on
them. Wondering if anyone here is using the Naxo NX21 at binding?
http://tinyurl.com/2h5nav

I do a lot of backcountry stuff; I've been using regular alpine
bindings and Alpine Trekkers. The weight is a bit of a killer, but
it's nice to turn downhill and use your regular alpine bindings and
know you're secure.

Sounds like the Naxo binding goes to DIN 13 and has an extra mechanism
to prevent it from switching into AT mode when you're going downhill.

I ski pretty hard. Not many big airs anymore, but I wouldn't put it
past myself on the right day, either. ;-)

Mainly I want to be able to go into the backcountry in the afternoon
after half or 2/3 day of on-hill shredding. Those Naxos could be the
perfect compromise.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Cheers!
Chrishttp://tinyurl.com/2h5nav

Old March 19th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

wrote:
Howdy!

My new skis came in the mail, and I'm going to put new bindings on
them. Wondering if anyone here is using the Naxo NX21 at binding?
http://tinyurl.com/2h5nav

I do a lot of backcountry stuff; I've been using regular alpine
bindings and Alpine Trekkers. The weight is a bit of a killer, but
it's nice to turn downhill and use your regular alpine bindings and
know you're secure.

Sounds like the Naxo binding goes to DIN 13 and has an extra mechanism
to prevent it from switching into AT mode when you're going downhill.

I ski pretty hard. Not many big airs anymore, but I wouldn't put it
past myself on the right day, either. ;-)

Mainly I want to be able to go into the backcountry in the afternoon
after half or 2/3 day of on-hill shredding. Those Naxos could be the
perfect compromise.

I've been using the Fritschi Diamir Freeride for several years of hard
skiing, including considerable inbounds yo-yoing, with no problems.

BTW, I've also never had them inadvertently "slip into touring mode" nor
have I heard such reports from anyone else. I'd be interested in
anecdotes of such events if anyone here has experienced such.

The Naxo system also generates good reports from the few users I've
spoken with - many more Fritschis around here than Naxos.
Old March 19th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Armin

A touring partner of mine uses the Naxo binding and has had problems
with it getting loose and wobbly over time. The hinge at the toe seems
to get sloppy. I've heard the saem from a few other Naxo users as
well.

I have used Fritschi bindings since the original Diamir was released
and have never had a problem with them. Currently skiing on this years
Fritschi Freeride Plus. The "AutoTour" problem was found in the older
bindings and was never a major problem anyways. It was caused by the
heel release lever getting popped up when the ski was *severely*
flexed. Fritschi addressed the problem by significantly increasing the
clearance between the lever and the ski and also changing the shape of
the lever.

Armin

Old March 19th 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Hmm thanks to you fellas for responding. I pretty much have to make a
decision this week because I want to use my 20% off REI coupon on the
bindings. Although actually I don't think REI sells the Freeride
Plus-- at least it wasn't on the website.

Armin, are the people you've encountered getting sloppiness on the
Naxos using this year's version, or older, you think?

I'm convinced by your description of how Fritschi changed their design
that I don't have to worry about the thing AutoTouring anymore. So
thank you for that.

I am 6'2", 200 pounds. So I was thinking a wee bit more DIN on the
NAXO could be good at times. What size are you fellas?

Thanks again for your replies. If you have a strong opinion, like
"just get the Fritschi, you won't regret it" feel free to give them to
me. I'm sure either binding will probably work fine, but you know how
easy it is to agonize these decisions anyway. ;-)

Chris

PS--- Here's a quick video from about 4 weeks ago in Whistler. I spent
the season there in 1997-98 and got to get out with my old roommmates
and ski some of the old lines. Ah, I miss the life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8MxxGpM8pI

Old March 19th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

wrote:
Hmm thanks to you fellas for responding. I pretty much have to make a
decision this week because I want to use my 20% off REI coupon on the
bindings. Although actually I don't think REI sells the Freeride
Plus-- at least it wasn't on the website.

Check out Backcountry.com the may be less expensive
than REI even without a discount. I received a couple
of email sales fliers from them. Check 'em out.

So far I've bought all of my non-standard Alpine gear
from Backcountry.com including my Scarpa Tornado boots
which delight me no end.

Armin, are the people you've encountered getting sloppiness on the
Naxos using this year's version, or older, you think?

I'm convinced by your description of how Fritschi changed their design
that I don't have to worry about the thing AutoTouring anymore. So
thank you for that.

I am 6'2", 200 pounds. So I was thinking a wee bit more DIN on the
NAXO could be good at times. What size are you fellas?

My FreeRides have a DIN max of 12. I'm 6-0 & 205# and normally
ski at 8 or 9.

Thanks again for your replies. If you have a strong opinion, like
"just get the Fritschi, you won't regret it" feel free to give them to
me. I'm sure either binding will probably work fine, but you know how
easy it is to agonize these decisions anyway. ;-)

Chris

PS--- Here's a quick video from about 4 weeks ago in Whistler. I spent
the season there in 1997-98 and got to get out with my old roommmates
and ski some of the old lines. Ah, I miss the life.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8MxxGpM8pI

Neat video.
Old March 19th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Lal_Truckee, here's one of the spots I read about the Fritschi coming
open while skiing downhill. (But the response to my RSBackcountry post
from that other guy convinced me this is no longer a problem with the
Fritschis):
http://tinyurl.com/2zxc4k

Here's the link to the Naxos:
http://tinyurl.com/2h5nav

I have confirmed that REI sold out of the Freeride Plus, so now if I
want those they'll cost me $100 more than the Naxos from other
suppliers.

Hmm...

Chris

Old March 19th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Armin

On Mar 19, 11:09 am, wrote:
Armin, are the people you've encountered getting sloppiness on the
Naxos using this year's version, or older, you think?

My friend's Naxos were two years old when he noticed the problem. The
dealer replaced his bindings, no questions asked. However, he only
weighs 150 lbs and is more of a 'finesse' than a 'brute force' type
skier so I was a bit suprised he had problems in the first place.

Like I said, I prefer the Freerides but should have added that I don't
think you can go all too wrong with either binding.

Old March 20th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Mar 19, 3:39 pm, lal_truckee wrote:
wrote:
...If you have a strong opinion, like
"just get the Fritschi, you won't regret it" feel free to give them to
me.

Just get the Fritschi, you won't regret it.

Rofl, I figured you'd say that. I want the strong opinion, though, so
thank you.

Thanks to all for replying!

Fritschis will cost me like $130 more even at Backcountry.com because
REI is closing out this year's Naxos, and I have that coupon for 20%
off. But mebbe I can think of something else to use the REI coupon
for.

I tend to go with brands that are more established when it comes to
specialty items. Fritschi has been making this stuff for a long time.
I hate to let the decision come down to $130. Lemme see if I can find
some Backcountry.com coupons online or something here....

Thanks again for your replies!

Chris

Naxo vs. Freeride Flip Buttling Backcountry Skiing 2 November 11th 04 09:12 PM
AT binding help ShredTheGnar Backcountry Skiing 42 September 9th 04 09:56 PM
Naxo vs. Fritschi Freeride ? Flip Buttling Backcountry Skiing 5 February 29th 04 04:24 AM
WTB: XC Binding jim Marketplace 0 January 24th 04 09:11 PM
75 m.m. Three pin Binding Joseph S.Gollinger Nordic Skiing 2 December 22nd 03 12:49 AM