noob question on used ski equipment

Old March 18th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Default noob question on used ski equipment

Sven Golly wrote:
Alan Baker wrote in news:alangbaker-
:

I'll put my vote in for lower release settings, as well. Not only do
your skis not come of if you're skiing properly, but you can function
check your bindings every time you take your skis off!

I typically ski with the DIN set 1 - 2 levels down from what the charts
reccommend.

I have the toe set to infinite and the heel set to zero.

-klaus

Old March 18th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mary Malmros

Walt wrote in
:

Dan Lenski wrote:
On Mar 15, 12:43 pm, Walt wrote:

Thanks Walt! At that price (includes poles), I figure it is about
the same as 2.5 days of rentals, so I can hardly go wrong.

I have since found some "Rossignol Cut Stage 2" skis with Tyrolia
bindings for the same price, so I'll probably want to compare those
to the Volant. One more dumb question:

The Rossi Cut ski was ubiquitous at the rental counters about 7 years
ago or so. It's a beginners ski and you'd probably outgrow it before
long, assuming you're not already beyond it.

I have a pair of these that I use as my destructo skis. I wouldn't use
them for anything else.
Old March 18th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mary Malmros

VtSkier wrote in
:

Dan Lenski wrote:
On Mar 15, 2:06 pm, VtSkier wrote:
cue the "buy boots first" monologue.

Hey, thanks for the tips. Just to clarify, I *do* have some Nordica
boots which my parents got me a couple years ago in expectation that
I would get skis soon. Don't know if they're high/low/medium-end,
but I am quite comfortable in them.

If you've only skied 15 to 20 days in ten years, you have skied
on equipment that is more or less up to date, though probably
of a low end type. Even at $75, both of those skis are out of
date and rentals or "performance rentals" will serve you better.

Good to know. This year I did 4 days of skiing (just a couple weeks
ago) with 170cm skis, which I liked better than the 160cm skis I had
used before. I haven't noticed much of a difference between
different skis I've used though I am sure they have changed a lot
over the past ten years.

Given that I have boots I like, do you think those Volant skis might
be a good set for me?

Lots of people had lots of fun on those skis.
I always thought they were a bit heavy, but my
present Atomic weigh a TON and I like them.

LAL replied that they tend to be "damp" and "easy".
This means that while they are fairly high on
the food chain, they are forgiving and may
do you well for a while until you get bit by
the "gear geek" bug.

....or until you get over the idea that you have to acquire your own
gear. Particularly if you're skiing on business trips, you're much
better off taking your boots and renting skis.

Whatever you decide, don't let the low sticker price sway you. A cheap
bag of crap is still a bag of crap. If someone on craigslist listed a
car for $200, would you run right out and buy it? Or would you have a
rush of smarts to the head and figure that there's a strong chance of
not getting a car that you can really use for $200?
Old March 19th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Dan Lenski wrote:
On Mar 17, 8:51 pm, "Andrew" wrote:
I met a former racer the other day who talked about practicing with
his DINs set to 1. Theoretically, there should never be any lateral
or torsional pressure on the bindings, so there's no reason to have
high release tension. Of course, most of us don't have technique
that clean...

Andrew

Certainly not me, that's for darn sure! I don't think I have very
good technique, but I've never lost a ski when I shouldn't, and even
when wiping out I don't always lose them, since it's often when I'm
going slow in a gladed area or something. So I think I could set it
lower as Bob has suggested.

Setting your binding to low is dangerous, that's how I broke my leg think
about it, sking with your boots undone is a good exercise it encourages good
posture and position over the ski, but do you think it's a good idea to ski
the steeps and deeps with your boots undone?
Similarly having your bindings set low is fine if you are skiing perfectly
groomed runs, but what if you hit a death cookie? or even just a rut? let
alone any less controlled situations.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old March 19th 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

VtSkier wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On Mar 17, 2:50 pm, "Dan Lenski" wrote:
On Mar 17, 6:30 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

You are right - It's not rocket science. The major difficulty is
getting the length adjustment right so that the forward pressure is
appropriate, then testing the release. Personally, I like my
release loose - If I can't twist my foot out of the binding
standing still, it's too tight. I ski on the philosophy that if
the ski comes off, I'm skiing wrong. It's worked for me for 35-40
years - no leg injuries. If you like your release really tight,
getting the adjustment properly tested is probably more important.
Hi Bob,
I think I may be similar in that respect. When renting, I ask my
bindings to be set at the "intermediate skier" level, though I'm a
better skier than most others I know who get that setting. I like
that approach of making the bindings only tight enough to allow me
to ski properly... I may try setting them even looser, that sounds
like a good idea.

snip

Dan

I met a former racer the other day who talked about practicing with
his DINs set to 1. Theoretically, there should never be any lateral
or torsional pressure on the bindings, so there's no reason to have
high release tension. Of course, most of us don't have technique
that clean...

Andrew

sniff sniff BULL****
on somebody's part.

The lowest end rental binding that you can
get an adult boot into has DIN settings
beginning with 2.5.

Anything below that will be child's binding.

And race bindings often start at DIN 10!

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old March 19th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mary Malmros

"MoonMan" wrote in
:

[snip]
Setting your binding to low is dangerous, that's how I broke my leg
think about it, sking with your boots undone is a good exercise it
encourages good posture and position over the ski, but do you think
it's a good idea to ski the steeps and deeps with your boots undone?
Similarly having your bindings set low is fine if you are skiing
perfectly groomed runs, but what if you hit a death cookie? or even
just a rut? let alone any less controlled situations.

Yup. I got a bad thumb sprain that way -- had the bindings set too low on
a pair of demos, hit a rut, launched at a rock wall...it was my hand or my
head, and I made the right choice, but now I've got a thumb that will give
me trouble the rest of my life.

Noob gear question Wayne Decker Alpine Skiing 10 October 18th 06 05:12 PM
Equipment Question Howlee General 0 March 10th 05 06:47 PM
noob question: which is nose/tail? KenO Snowboarding 0 January 27th 05 09:47 PM
Sounds like BS to me... (noob equipment question) David Snowboarding 26 April 9th 04 04:10 PM
Noob clothing question.. Calz Snowboarding 5 December 2nd 03 10:08 PM