Flow Bindings Vs. Strap Bindings

Old March 15th 05, 05:39 AM
lonerider

mrwium wrote:
I've been riding Tech 9 for 4 years and just switched to Flow. I

tried
to like them, but have not been happy. This past weekend was a rare
powder day in VT and I had a hard time getting my boot in and out of
the flow due to snow and Ice build up. I also felt they were sloppy
holding the boot back to the heal. I'm back to the Tech 9's. The

Flows
are for sale.

What model did you have? The K2 Cinch idea would be the best of both
worlds... quick entry/exit for general conditions, regular strap entry
for powder/steep slopes/icy buildup. Of course, as someone mentioned,
their performance isn't very good yet, so maybe wait a few season till
they get better like how the current FLOWs are several orders of
magnitude better than their mid-90s ancestors.

Old March 15th 05, 01:05 PM
Dean

mrwium wrote:

I also felt they were sloppy holding the boot back to the heal.

Are you saying that the boot's heel did not fit the binding's heel cup
or that the strap did not hold it down and the boot's heel moved in the
binding? Or that your foot's heel moved in the boot when you used the
Flow bindings but that did not happen with the Tech 9 bindings?

The Flows are for sale.

Which model, year and size?

Dean
Old March 15th 05, 02:09 PM

The Flow binding just got more cred w/ Autti taking Gold in the pipe @
the X Games in Aspen. Did it w/Flow bindings. Knocked White off the
podium entirely & put Kass back to bronze.

It's not that Flow's are sloppy or anything else having to do
w/performance; it's that they don't have credibility w/youth because
they aren't plastered all over billboards & the cover of TransWorld or
whatever.

Old March 15th 05, 05:03 PM
lonerider

The Flow binding just got more cred w/ Autti taking Gold in the pipe

@
the X Games in Aspen. Did it w/Flow bindings. Knocked White off the
podium entirely & put Kass back to bronze.

It's not that Flow's are sloppy or anything else having to do
w/performance; it's that they don't have credibility w/youth because
they aren't plastered all over billboards & the cover of TransWorld

or
whatever.

I don't read Transworld, but after you mentioned it... two Flow team
riders winning big event *did* get Transworld's attention - "Once seen
as a convenience product, Flow has proven itself to be all about
performance."

Well as you mentioned before, the first versions of the FLOW in the 90s
were very sloppy and had poor performance, plus the cable tended to
stretch and break a lot back then (just from regularly riding let along
freestyle riding), giving the bindings a bad reputation. That bad
reputation has taken a LONG time for "better." From my memory it is/was
"youth" that still embrace the Flow bindings more as they don't know of
its bad history... plus the older models use to have shiny bling bling
chrome styling to them. I find the older snowboarders tended to like
step-in like Clicker better. That is just my observation, I'm not sure
if it was because Clicker was produced earlier, gained more acceptance
early on, was better, or if former skiiers like the toe/heel connection
point or whatever. Clickers use to rule the earth and now they are a
shadows of their former self, which is a shame since I think they were
a very good technology (I rode them for 4 years myself).

Old March 15th 05, 11:42 PM
mrwium

I was riding the AMP5-FS.

Old March 15th 05, 11:46 PM
mrwium

The boot fit into the binding fine, when there was no snow/ice build
up. Riding toe side I had alot of movement in the boot, that I dont get
with the Tech 9 two strap system. The Flows are 2005 AMP5-FS.

Old March 16th 05, 08:42 PM
beekay beekay is offline
Junior Member

My friends with flow love them. I got rid of the straps about 9 years ago when Burton made their first step in and have not looked back. the new SI/RulerSI setup is so amazing that its hard to believe that people still use straps. I lock into my boots and I am off and running. I click in whlile sliding down the ramp at the ski area and I am off. I have been riding for about 14 years now and i am an advanced rider (i ride a 169 Nitro Shogun). They are very stiff boots and your foot is very securely put in place.

The old notion of your boot disengaging has never really happened to me. no wiggle side to side like the very old first generation did. Snopack is a light concern, but it is with any boot/binding setup. you need to scrape your boot before putting it in the binding if it is

The downside with SI is the need to pick a vendor for boot and binding. For me it was not an issue, since I love Burton Soft goods (boots, gloves). IF that is a big concern for you, then flow would be the second choice.
Old March 16th 05, 10:58 PM

Beekay,

Are you able to "tune" the boot to set it up for hard or soft
conditions? That's always been my problem w/ stepins; the boot is
always too stiff. I like a stiff boot, but not having any adjustment
is bothersome.

Old March 17th 05, 02:24 PM
beekay beekay is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Beekay,

Are you able to "tune" the boot to set it up for hard or soft
conditions? That's always been my problem w/ stepins; the boot is
always too stiff. I like a stiff boot, but not having any adjustment
is bothersome.
Good question. My Ruler has an ankle ratchet that I can adjust as needed. It also has a toungue stiffener for less forward flex, esentially a stiff plastic strip that clips onto the tongue that is removable. When i was breaking them in, I had them off (for about 1 full season) then I put them back on and left them there. I normally go full stiff, because I ride a very stiff, pretty long board (169) and need all the help I can get. Riding in Colorado, we have a lot of variable conditions and bumps and this setup is great for me.
They do make different versions of the boot, so there is choice (unlike the olden days when there was one boot...). Anyone looking should definately try the various step in systems. Clicker, Switch, Burton are the best of them. I have the switch (drake bindings and Northwave boots of some kind). One thing that turns me off to them is the protruding brackets and the almost skiboot stiffness, definately a different feel than my Rulers. I like the clean profile of the boot with the Burton setup. personal preference. If Northwave makes a BOA version of the stepin, it would be the best for fit and flexibility with the dial and cable tightening system. very cool.

bk

Boots for Flow bindings? corbeau Snowboarding 0 February 4th 04 02:41 AM
flow bindings jakob Snowboarding 1 January 15th 04 04:24 AM
Flow Bindings this year? Tavish Muldoon Snowboarding 4 December 2nd 03 03:20 AM
Flow Bindings - Mounting discs mr E Snowboarding 0 November 23rd 03 05:08 AM
Flow Bindings mr E Snowboarding 1 November 15th 03 07:32 AM