Boot inserts - anyone use them?

Old January 7th 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Boot inserts - anyone use them?

A couple of seasons ago I added some extra boot inner soles, and they
helped keep my foot more snug in each boot and reduced heel lift. Only
thing is, the boots are a little tight at the toes. I am thinking of
getting new boots, so was wondering whether most experienced boarders
manage to find boots which fit just right without inserts, or whether
inserts are very common now and I should take them along when I try on
new boots? I've been boarding 7 years and this will be my first pair
of new boots, though I might wait a while as it's not urgent for this
season, I'll just loosen the laces more. Cheers.. Tom, London.
Old January 7th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

wrote in message
A couple of seasons ago I added some extra boot inner soles, and they
helped keep my foot more snug in each boot and reduced heel lift. Only
thing is, the boots are a little tight at the toes. I am thinking of
getting new boots, so was wondering whether most experienced boarders
manage to find boots which fit just right without inserts, or whether
inserts are very common now and I should take them along when I try on
new boots? I've been boarding 7 years and this will be my first pair
of new boots, though I might wait a while as it's not urgent for this
season, I'll just loosen the laces more. Cheers.. Tom, London.

I have orthodics prescribed by my doctor for my shoes. I insert an older pair
into my boots, which lifts my heels significantly, giving me a much better fit
over my instep.

Old January 8th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Thanks very much for the replies everyone, it's interesting to see
other people using inserts. I might leave it another season. Lord
knows how my boots (Airwalk) have lasted so long, they've been on
countless holidays. I think I will indeed try any new boots with and
without inserts and just see what happens to work best.
Old January 14th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
[email protected][_2_]

This is the first time I've seen anyone call them inserts, but as Neil
suggested, insoles, footbeds, or orthotics are a common tool of the
boot fitter. The better ones are either designed to be modified, or are
customized from the start. *If you like what they do to the heel and
arch, but are cramped in the toes, cut the offending piece out. Measure
twice and cut once, but these are usually user-friendly parts.

Thanks for the info there. I did think of chopping them up, but it
seems like there'd be too much of a step where I cut them, so I
thought maybe I would try to file the toe section down, so the insert
is much thinner. However, today I tried removing the insert, then
trying my Tactel liner with a hell-padded Thorlo sock. Seems to feel
great! Bit confused as thought I tried that last year, perhaps the
padded heel makes a big difference and last time was the liner and a
different sock, or two thin ones. I need the liner sock as I find
having a double layer stops me getting blisters - works remarkably
well for me - having previously tried all sorts of remedies.

Nitro Magnum sensitive to bumps in base below thread inserts? Bas Mevissen Snowboarding 5 April 3rd 07 08:45 AM
Loctite OK on K2 inserts? scott Backcountry Skiing 3 January 30th 07 05:30 PM
Boot fit JQ Alpine Skiing 6 November 25th 06 12:08 PM
Inserts and screws. bp Snowboarding 8 November 12th 04 03:49 AM
Orthoics / SIDA inserts in XC Boots Matt Morency Nordic Skiing 3 August 24th 03 01:47 AM