Olympic Picks

Old February 5th 06, 03:51 AM

Default Olympic Picks

Sports Illustrated has published their picks for every medal at the
upcoming Olympics. The full list appears here
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ks0206/index.=
html,
but below are their predictions of the winners in the cross country
events.

I'm dubious of many of their picks. Bjorgen's up-and-down season - down
after not even placing in the Davos sprints today - makes four golds
unlikely, I'd say. And I still don't believe that Angerer's not going
to melt down a la Teichmann last year. I can't see him winning more
than one gold, though he could well medal in multiple events. Anyone
want to toss their picks out?

MEN

1=2E4K Sprint (freestyle)
Tor Arne Hetland, Norway

Team Sprint (classical)
Sweden

15K Classical
Tobias Angerer, Germany

30K Pursuit
Tobias Angerer, Germany

50K Mass Start (freestyle)
Tobias Angerer, Germany

4_10K Relay
Norway

WOMEN

1=2E2K Sprint (freestyle)
Marit Bj=F8rgen, Norway

Team Sprint (classical)
Norway

10K Classical
Marit Bj=F8rgen, Norway

15K Pursuit
Marit Bj=F8rgen, Norway

30K Mass Start (freestyle)
Kat=EArin=E1 Neumannova, Czech Republic

4_5K Relay
Russia

Old February 5th 06, 08:23 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...206/index.html,
but below are their predictions of the winners in the cross country
events.

I'm dubious of many of their picks. Bjorgen's up-and-down season - down
after not even placing in the Davos sprints today - makes four golds
unlikely, I'd say. And I still don't believe that Angerer's not going
to melt down a la Teichmann last year. I can't see him winning more
than one gold, though he could well medal in multiple events. Anyone
want to toss their picks out?

MEN

1.4K Sprint (freestyle)
Tor Arne Hetland, Norway

Sorry, this one belongs to Björn Lind, SWE. :-(

Team Sprint (classical)
Sweden

Norway, hopefully?

15K Classical
Tobias Angerer, Germany

Svartedal! Did you see his Davos race today? 15 K classic, at altitude,
20+ seconds in front of everyone else!

30K Pursuit
Tobias Angerer, Germany

50K Mass Start (freestyle)
Tobias Angerer, Germany

4_10K Relay
Norway

Or Germany, Sweden, Italy, etc.

WOMEN

1.2K Sprint (freestyle)
Marit Bjørgen, Norway

I hope so!

Team Sprint (classical)
Norway

Yes.

10K Classical
Marit Bjørgen, Norway

No.

15K Pursuit
Marit Bjørgen, Norway

Maybe, probably not.

30K Mass Start (freestyle)
Katêriná Neumannova, Czech Republic

4_5K Relay
Russia

Norway. :-)

Terje

--
-
Old February 6th 06, 12:35 AM

Bjorgen was not entered, but is at home recovering from bronchitis.
See fasterskier.com.

Old February 6th 06, 06:22 PM

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
Correct that: she was officially entered but the team announced in
advance that she would be undergoing a 7-day antibiotic treatment at
home.

That's old news and already done.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old February 6th 06, 09:15 PM

Well, this is a fun game...

MEN

1.4K Sprint (freestyle)
Lind
Zorzi
Hetland

Team Sprint (classical)
Sweden
Norway
Russia

15K Classical
Svartedal
Hjelmeset
Estil
- I don't think Angerer is strongest on interval starts

30K Pursuit
Vittoz
Angerer
Piller Cottrer
- I think this is Vittoz' kind of course

50K Mass Start (freestyle)
Angerer
Piller Cottrer
Fredriksson

4_10K Relay
Germany
Italy
Norway
- France may surprise and get in there if they are in the hunt after
the classic legs

WOMEN

1.2K Sprint (freestyle)
Dahlberg
Scott
Renner

Team Sprint (classical)
Norway
Sweden
Canada

10K Classical
Bjorgen
Kuitunen
Scott

15K Pursuit
Scott
Neumannova
Kuenzel

30K Mass Start (freestyle)
Tchepalova
Neumannova
Bjorgen

4_5K Relay
Finland
Norway
Germany

I think Bjorgen is a question mark, but it's all just a way of passing
time until Sunday morning.... Any other crazy Canucks getting up at
4:00 am to watch the pursuit?

Chris

Olympic team selections tassava Nordic Skiing 3 January 26th 06 10:48 AM
US Olympic Team Marty Alpine Skiing 0 January 25th 06 11:12 PM
Winter Olympic Park Closed? -JP- Nordic Skiing 3 March 1st 04 10:37 PM
Winter Olympic Choices - Where do you want it? SirJeffer Alpine Skiing (moderated) 20 February 24th 04 09:00 PM
Otepaa 30K Classic Picks Jay Tegeder Nordic Skiing 1 January 9th 04 10:29 PM