air travel with skis

Old February 25th 04, 03:03 PM
Bob Davis

Default air travel with skis

We are making our first ski trip traveling by air next month, and after
going over United,s oversized baggage restrictions ,am wondering if it
is better to rent skis once we get to Canada or pay the extra fees. my
skis are 185's which exceeds 62 inch limits. thanks

Old February 25th 04, 04:25 PM
Steve Haigh

Bob Davis wrote:

We are making our first ski trip traveling by air next month, and after
going over United,s oversized baggage restrictions ,am wondering if it
is better to rent skis once we get to Canada or pay the extra fees. my
skis are 185's which exceeds 62 inch limits. thanks

Cheeck the small print, you are normally allowed an item of "sports
equipment" such as skis (or golf clubs I think), and the oversize limit
does not apply to these items. I've flown countless times, including on
United, with skis. If you can't find this info anywhere I'd suggest you
call the airline just to clarify.
Old February 25th 04, 05:56 PM
Terry Morse

Bob Davis wrote:

We are making our first ski trip traveling by air next month, and after
going over United,s oversized baggage restrictions ,am wondering if it
is better to rent skis once we get to Canada or pay the extra fees.

Skis and golf clubs are exempted from United's baggage size
restriction. One ski bag or golf bag counts as one piece of checked
luggage, and you won't be charged extra.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/ski/
Old March 2nd 04, 05:48 PM

Terry Morse wrote in message ...
Bob Davis wrote:

We are making our first ski trip traveling by air next month, and after
going over United,s oversized baggage restrictions ,am wondering if it
is better to rent skis once we get to Canada or pay the extra fees.

Skis and golf clubs are exempted from United's baggage size
restriction. One ski bag or golf bag counts as one piece of checked
luggage, and you won't be charged extra.

How about this. Why don't you just bring your boots and rent skis.
Old March 3rd 04, 09:59 PM
eedwards

om...

Bob Davis wrote:

We are making our first ski trip traveling by air next month, and

after
going over United,s oversized baggage restrictions ,am wondering if it
is better to rent skis once we get to Canada or pay the extra fees.

Skis and golf clubs are exempted from United's baggage size
restriction. One ski bag or golf bag counts as one piece of checked
luggage, and you won't be charged extra.

How about this. Why don't you just bring your boots and rent skis.

Nothing worse than lugging your skis through airports.... Last time I did
that, CO lost my skis on a non-stop flight Denver to Durango (Telluride...)
The skis finally showed up as I was checking out of the hotel. I got the
pleasure of lugging without the pleasure of skiing. Now, I do exactly as
the man says... Bring my boots, rent my skis....