Where is the cheapest place to live and within a hour drive to great skiing?

Old February 12th 05, 12:40 AM
Tommy T.

I love Vancouver. It has everything. My daughter did two years of graduate
work at UBC and we visited several times. I've riden at W/B, climber at the
Squamish Chief, and kayaked off Nanaimo. However, in May of 2003 I drove
from Dawson Creek to Watson Lake and then in September from Watson Lake to
Hazelton to Prince George to Kamloops and I am sure I did not see a single
dedicated, "gourmet" coffee shop.

Franlky, were I not ineligible for emigration, Vancouver would be high on my
list.

Tommy T.

"Alan Baker" wrote in message
In article IL3Pd.17234$ya6.10808@trndny01,
"Tommy T." wrote:

If Canada is an option, central BC is probably the sleeper in the best

bet
list. Inexpensive, great but underutilized areas and good backcountry.
Poor access, no cultural ops and no coffee shops might be draw backs.

Just to add a small correction: IMO, coffee culture has thoroughly
arrived throughout BC. :-)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

Old February 12th 05, 02:46 AM
ant

"Tommy T." wrote in message

"Jeff" wrote in message
AH wrote:
East? He said "great skiing"..

You suck ;-)

I live east; I teach at an eastern area; I've skied almost every open and
closed areas in New England for 30 years. You'll notice my list didn't
include any thing in the east although I said I had considered everything
from Ste. Anne to Ski Apache and Whistler to Snowshoe.

Is Snowshoe not in the East because it's in West Virginia?!

ant

Old February 12th 05, 03:47 AM
Wayne Decker

The Forest Service, Park Service, BLM, LADWP, the County Governments (Inyo
and Mono), the schools and the tribes--are our biggest employers. Then comes
the tourist related businesses and the ranches.

Most of our kids leave the valley--but come back after about 10 years--once
they have established themself and can find a way to support themselves
here.

BTW it only takes me 35 minutes to get to Mammoth and about 45 to get to
June.

--
I ski, therefore I am
"DingusMilktoast" wrote in message
news
What does one do for a living in Nevada east of Mammoth and Yosemite???

Hawthorne? Army depot, not much else. In the winter I'm guessing its more
than an hour from Mammoth to the border... ya gotta go through Bishop or
up
to Mono Lake. 120 is usually closed?

Just curious I guess.

Cheers
DMT

Old February 12th 05, 05:46 PM
Tommy T.

"Java Man" wrote in message Thanks for the
commercial. ;-) But it ain't cheap here.

Well, I didn't list in my evaluation of "cheapest places." We got into a
side bar discussion about Vancouver after I complained about a lack of
coffee shops in Prince George. ;-) My own retirement relocation criteria is
"best value" rather than "cheapest."

Tommy T.