Chariot baby carrier

Old September 12th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Hugh P

Default Chariot baby carrier

Dear all,
Does anyone have experience of the Chariot baby stroller with skiing
attachments?
My wife and I are approaching our first winter with a baby, and
wondering how to approach it. We have a Chariot with the jogging and
cycling attachments, and are considering buying the skiing
attachments. We are both reasonably strong skiers, with a strong bias
towards racing rather than touring (ie skiing briskly on groomed
tracks).
Questions I have not found sensible answers to include:
1. Is it suitable for steady racing-style classic and skate skiing, or
is it more for ski-walking? It looks like the skis will not fit in the
classic spoor.
2. How much damage does it do to a groomed track?
3. How is the stroller with wheels and the ski towing setup for roller-
skiing?
Thanks,
Hugh

Old September 12th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
SkiFit

Hugh,

Our son is now 16-months old and we skied with them in a Chariot last
winter. I am a sometimes racer and a CANSI Instructor and would
highly recommend it. I personally preferred skating with the trailer
as opposed to classic skiing, but prefer skating to classic without
too. The stroller rides outside of the tracks so doesn't cause much
damage.

I have not yet rollerskied with it, but am considering. However, I
would only do it on the flat as the extra weight makes it tough to
stop. Naturally, the stroller is best on the flats, it's a hard
workout going uphill and going downhill is somewhat more dangerous.
My wife (a downhill instructor) and I were quite adventurous, but on
one occassion I removed skis and held the back of the stroller while
she snowplowed out front. More an adventure than a concern.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Old September 12th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Zach Caldwell[_2_]

Hey Hugh - My personal experience is that skiing with the Chariot is
unpleasant. Striding amounts to strictly shuffling - if you try to
ride a ski and kick with any impulse the sled jerks you around quite
alarmingly. Something along the lines of nordictrack technique lets
you cover some ground. Skating is marginally better, but if you are
accustomed to getting any kind of lateral "float" in your skating,
forget about it. You can sit in the middle and stick your legs out
just fine. Good leg workout, I suppose. But the situation made me
realize that I don't ski for exercise - I ski for speed and enjoyment.

If you really want to ski with the kid I'd suggest a backpack.
Obviously you need to dress the kid up very (very) well. But the pack
is really pretty good. Our son was born in January, and that first
winter I just skied around with him in a snuggli up front (really a
good set-up for a newborn). The second winter we did some in the pack
on warmer days. The third winter we stood around while he skied. The
fourth winter - well, I'll let you know.

Anybody want to by a very lightly used Chariot?

Zach

Old September 12th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
SkiFit

Obviously I'm a much stronger skier than Zach . No, he's right,
it's different, but for us the most important thing was being outside
together. We use the Chariot for everything: running, strolling and
cycling. We commute by bicycle and tow our little one to daycare in
it, so it made sense for us to use it for skiing too. We also have a
back-pack type from contraption from Mountain Equipment Co-op. We
didn't use it, as my wife was concerned about one of us potentially
falling.

BTW, if you do use the Chariot and your little one is less than a year
old, I'd also recommend the baby sling that they sell.

Old September 12th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
SkiFit

Zach,

Did you try grinding and prepping your chariot's skis?

Old September 12th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Zach Caldwell[_2_]

On Sep 12, 2:25 pm, SkiFit wrote:
Zach,

Did you try grinding and prepping your chariot's skis?

Of course!
ZC

Old September 13th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
delltodd

On Sep 12, 8:59 am, Hugh P wrote:

[...]
Hugh- Hide quoted text -

I'm with Zach on the backpack. The jogger is a great tool for a
superhuman running workout, and hiking. The double jogger, loaded with
both kids, is an amazingly difficult workout (running). Honestly, we
never had the jogger with skis, so I don't have specific knowledge,
however the backpack was a good addition to skate or classic because
the weight addition to the upperbody did not kill your glide, but it
added a core strengthening dimension to a ski workout, as you bobble
the top heavy load. But it works well for skiing, and also ski-
bushwacking on golf course terrain.

Once at a 5k I was passed by a super Dad pushing a Burleigh with his
kid in it. I nearly applauded the guy. I think he broke 18 minutes
that day.

Old September 18th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Hugh P

Thanks for these.
Perhaps 20lb of backpack will help flatten my too-stiff classic skis;
or perhaps the Chariot will expedite my conversion to ski-walking.
Another trip to REI is needed.
Hugh

Old September 24th 07, 11:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Alex

Hi Hugh,

There is a link here, with some useful information, in case you
haven't found it.
http://www.xcskiworld.com/family/Parents/sleds.htm

The thought of using a backpack for the infant just seems a bad choice
to me. I had to stop to try to analyse why. I hiked with a child in
a backpack, and used a child-seat on my bike. Both without incident,
although I was cautious what I did, and i wouldn't have gone out
running or fast cycling with that set-up, because of the risk of
falls. I don't fall much ski-ing, but I did go down once or twice
while I was towing a pulk, which the pulk-occupant thought was
hilarious. It wouldn't have been so funny in a backpack. Falls are
more likely too, because of the higher centre of gravity and the
mobile load. The old adage comes to mind "Rucksack on back makes
skier go splat"! Keeping them warm would be a lot more difficult
too, and I did hear a horror story of a baby dying of hypothermia in a
backpack. I don't have a source so that may be apocryphal, but they
certainly have to be dressed very well and have poor protection from
the elements and errant ski-poles. It is bad enough trying to dress
an infant for winter without having to put on more than you have to.
In the pulk, you just bung them into a rug, in their running-around
clothes. And it won't be long before your youngster is running (and
skiing) around. I only used a backpack once. It wasn't enjoyable,
the child nearly made me fall by leaning out on a downhill corner, and
there was no respite from carrying the weight. I think it would only
be useful for short cautious trips in good weather, on fairly flat
terrain, with no overhanging branches and with a very small child.

For ski-ing with youngsters, I have used and can recommend, the
standard Norsk bit of kit, the fjellpulken. It works well for
babies , and also for intrepid young skiers needing a bit of a
rest. I used the pulk until the child was five years old. The
youngster's skis will fit in the Pulk too. It is also easy to carry
the picnic and spare clothing for all the family. The infant is well-
cocooned, which mine liked. They have a choice of sitting up and
joining-in, or they can lie down and go to sleep. What I found good
is that you could take a hot damp child who had been ski-ing and just
wrap them up and put them in, and they would then be snug and cosy.
You can get a really good workout by towing, while the child sleeps
safe and warm. You won't do your technique any good though, as you
have to do a sort of high tempo shuffle to keep the momentum going.
Top gear for a cardio workout and for shedding baby-fat. In other
words, it is hard work, especially on uphills. It is very stable on
descents, and the child is protected by the structure and windscreen
from all sorts of impact and weather.

I can't comment on the Chariot from experience, but it looks to have
most of the advantages and drawbacks of the pulk, although maybe not
as warm, roomy and well-protected. However, I think the centre of
gravity looks high and I would worry about it tipping easily. The
attachment poles look short too, and you should check you have enough
room to ski without skis or poles hitting the chariot, (bearing in
mind you will be shortening your stride, while towing). It looks a
great bit of kit for jogging or cycling and I wish I had had something
similar. The skis look a better option than the runners on the
fjellpulken and the fact they are waxless is an interesting choice
which could help a lot on uphills. If the suspension remains when the
wheels are taken off to allow the skis to be fitted, then that would
get over the main drawback of a pulk, which is a rough ride when the
snow is hard.

Have fun,
Alex