Do You Learn From Your Crashes?

Old November 21st 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Wisconsin Skier

Default Do You Learn From Your Crashes?

Latest Ski Magazine had an article by Jay Cown.

However, what follows below is my musing, if you want Jay's get the
magazine one way or another.

I was reading the recent issue of Ski Magazine and there was an
article on crashing. Do you learn from your wipeouts?

The author (Jay Cowan) pondered about learning from crashes. Do you
learn from your crashes? I do not. I tend to have two wipeouts. One is
the small "oh $#!+" I might get out balance while crossing a flat
on the way to a slope. It happens.

The other wipeout is the full on yard sale. I don't have to explain
the full on yard sale to you.

For the rest see:
http://www.wi-ski.com/article.php?st...61120192132542

Old November 21st 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

The Wisconsin Skier wrote:
Latest Ski Magazine had an article by Jay Cown.

However, what follows below is my musing, if you want Jay's get the
magazine one way or another.

I was reading the recent issue of Ski Magazine and there was an
article on crashing. Do you learn from your wipeouts?

The author (Jay Cowan) pondered about learning from crashes. Do you
learn from your crashes? I do not. I tend to have two wipeouts. One is
the small "oh $#!+" I might get out balance while crossing a flat
on the way to a slope. It happens.

The other wipeout is the full on yard sale. I don't have to explain
the full on yard sale to you.

For the rest see:
http://www.wi-ski.com/article.php?st...61120192132542

I did my lesson was
Just say no to skiing slow!
Old November 21st 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"down_hill" wrote in message
The Wisconsin Skier wrote:
Latest Ski Magazine had an article by Jay Cown.

However, what follows below is my musing, if you want Jay's get the
magazine one way or another.

I was reading the recent issue of Ski Magazine and there was an
article on crashing. Do you learn from your wipeouts?

The author (Jay Cowan) pondered about learning from crashes. Do you
learn from your crashes? I do not. I tend to have two wipeouts. One is
the small "oh $#!+" I might get out balance while crossing a flat
on the way to a slope. It happens.

The other wipeout is the full on yard sale. I don't have to explain
the full on yard sale to you.

For the rest see:
http://www.wi-ski.com/article.php?st...61120192132542

I did my lesson was
Just say no to skiing slow!

Well, yeah.

The underlying premise is correct, if you do not crash you are probably not
learning anything but the extension, learning from your crashes, is false.
Your crashes are not what you learn from they are an indicator. If you never
crash you are spending too much time too far within your comfort zone, and
as a result you are not learning anything. If you wish to learn, and I grant
you not everybody necessarily does, you need to spend at least a little time
pushing the envelope, and when you do that, from time to time you will
crash.

Old November 21st 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Norm wrote:

"down_hill" wrote in message

The Wisconsin Skier wrote:

[...]

I push pull and fold the envelope on a regular basis. How much you learn
from an accident depends on the time spent in analysis of the incident.
When your on crutches and missing events you have much time to review
it. But speed ski's and high DIN setting are bad news at slow speeds on
the flats.

There is a new downhill series NADS (North American Downhill Series)
open to everybody with speed need issues it will be 4 or 5 races in VT
and NH.
Old November 21st 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Wisconsin Skier

Norm wrote:
"down_hill" wrote in message
The Wisconsin Skier wrote:

For the rest see:
http://www.wi-ski.com/article.php?st...61120192132542

I did my lesson was
Just say no to skiing slow!

Well, yeah.

The underlying premise is correct, if you do not crash you are probably not
learning anything but the extension, learning from your crashes, is false.
Your crashes are not what you learn from they are an indicator. If you never
crash you are spending too much time too far within your comfort zone, and
as a result you are not learning anything. If you wish to learn, and I grant
you not everybody necessarily does, you need to spend at least a little time
pushing the envelope, and when you do that, from time to time you will
crash.

Norm,
That is the exact conclusion I come up with. Learning doesn't follow
crashing, but instead, learning and crashing walk hand in hand.

Old November 21st 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

The Wisconsin Skier wrote:

Norm wrote:
"down_hill" wrote:
The Wisconsin Skier wrote:

[...]

If you crash, you learned something wrong previously. In my last crash
I learned that, contrary to my previous experience, it is NOT safe to
ski too close to the inside edge of a trail where it meets another trail.

--
Cheers, Bev
"A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person
Old November 24th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Sue

In message , down_hill
writes

There is a new downhill series NADS

Presumably that hasn't the same meaning where you live that it has here
!

--
Sue ]8(

Old November 25th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Norm

"Sue" wrote in message

There is a new downhill series NADS

Presumably that hasn't the same meaning where you live that it has here !

Not as common as some other terms for the same thing, but we are familier
with that meaning of the term.

--
Sue ]8(