ACL recon tomorrow

Old July 20th 03, 09:22 PM
elb

Default ACL recon tomorrow

In article ,
says...
Mike M. Miskulin wrote:

One last bit of advice - make sure you get into a PT program that
specializes in sports rehab.

mike

Aye, from the people I spoke to, at the time and since, the advice has been
the same - grap yourself a sports phsio whether it's winter sports,
basketball, football(soccer) etc. I guess we were all pretty lucky having
that advice from the start off. Things are a bit different over here -
national healthcare - if I hadn't been lucky enough to have Leach as my
surgeon, I was quite willing to splash some cash and hire my own sports
rehab. heh heh heh, on that note, I wasn't even given one of those cooler
things to to wrap round my knee after working it. I kept the same bag of
frozen peas wrapped in a dish cloth for 3 months!

DB

My PT starts tomorrow. I wasn't really given a choice about they style
of therapist. I am, however, going to make it clear that I am
relatively active and wish to remain that way if not become even more
so. I used to be in damn good shape, but have let myself go the past
couple years and want to get back. I suppose that if I don't like the
therapist I can ask to be switched to another.

I wasn't given a cryo-cuff either, just a couple packs of freeze-gel
things. I'm on my 9th day post-surgery, and still quite a bit swollen,
even though I've kept my knee chilled and elevated almost constantly. I
was told on my first post-op visit a couple days ago that I'm doing
everything right and not to worry about it.

I'm still supposed to be completely non-weight bearing on the affected
leg, but I think that will probably change when I see the PT tomorrow.
Most of the pain is definitely gone - I haven't taken a percocet in
about 5 days, just lots of naproxen (Aleve).

- elb
Old July 25th 03, 07:33 PM
Drug Buddy

elb wrote:

[...]

Keep going with it, it's all a means to an end and all that. It might be
****e now but it'll get better (and it'll be ****e later!). Avoid any
lateral knee 'popping' movements, stick to what yer physio tells you to do,
keep cooling your knee after you exercise it (by whatever method) and you'll
get there. It might seem like a way off, but it's worth it.

DB

Old July 28th 03, 06:39 PM
Mike T

I wasn't given a cryo-cuff either, just a couple packs of freeze-gel
things. I'm on my 9th day post-surgery, and still quite a bit swollen,
even though I've kept my knee chilled and elevated almost constantly. I

two words: Frozen peas

get a couple bags, they work really well.

If you want to reduce swelling, you might try arnica (gel or tablets). It
can be found in the homeopathy section at a natural foods store, or in some
drug stores.

Mike T

Old July 29th 03, 02:57 PM
elb

In article ,
says...
I wasn't given a cryo-cuff either, just a couple packs of freeze-gel
things. I'm on my 9th day post-surgery, and still quite a bit swollen,
even though I've kept my knee chilled and elevated almost constantly. I

two words: Frozen peas

get a couple bags, they work really well.

If you want to reduce swelling, you might try arnica (gel or tablets). It
can be found in the homeopathy section at a natural foods store, or in some
drug stores.

Mike T

What we've ended up doing is just keeping bags of store-bought ice;
that's worked very well. Most of the swelling is gone, except after
exercises. I think I'm one of the PT's only patients who actually do
the at-home exercises.

I've just started the 2nd week of rehab. My extension is past 0
degrees, and my flexion is 100 degrees. My quads are starting to come
back a bit, but my calves are pathetic. I'm finally allowed to walk,
though still with the crutches and brace.

They kept me from putting any weight on it whatsoever for so long that I
developed a little mental block about it. So the first time the PT
wanted me to stand without crutches or brace and shift all of my weight
onto the recon'd knee I freaked a little bit. Now I've gained a lot
more confidence in it.

I've been told I'll be on crutches 2-3 more weeks. I don't know how
long I'll be in this damn brace (aka, Spanish Inquisition Leg Hair
Removal Torture Device).

So far so good...

- elb
Old August 27th 03, 05:59 PM
Drug Buddy

elb wrote:
[...]

I know exactly what you mean about being freaked at putting weight on your
knee. It might only be a few weeks since the op but muscles have goldfish
memories and start winding up your brain - big time. Your brain tells the
muscles to do something, muscles reply and say 'I can't remeber how to do
that', brain replies by telling them to just get on with it. This cycles
until the brain doubts itself and sends freakout messages. It passes, what's
left of my brain has been there!

Like I said before, when I went for my 1st physio I was shown the complete
recovery regime - I shat myself. You'll get there dude, it takes time and a
lot of dedication - run with the frozen peas, they'll make a great stir fry
in 3 months time!

keep on keeping on, DB

Old August 27th 03, 11:01 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

this thread must be a curse! I went to see my surgeon Tuesday
about one of the screws and some severe pain I had last week.
Woke up in the middle of night in pain.. wasn't quite sure what was
what, stretched my legs hard to wake up and thats when I discovered
what was hurting!

The good news is the acl graft is still in excellent shape; the bad
news is I've irritated the hamstring tendon insertion which apparently
goes over where the screw is. Doc recommened ice and the classic
'avoid anything that hurts it otherwise do what you want'. Said if
its still bothersome in a couple of months he will take the screw out.
He was kinda surprised me coming in after all this time (5 yrs in
Sept), guess I just ****ed it off good.