Waxing Iron Temperature

Old January 14th 05, 01:46 PM
David Patnaude

Default Waxing Iron Temperature

I have a cheap iron that I am going to use for waxing. The temperature dial
is labeled with fabric types rather than actual degrees. What temperature
is a good one to use for waxing? I am mostly concerned about going too hot
and doing damage to the board.

Thanks,
Dave
Old January 14th 05, 01:50 PM
David Brown :o\)

'WOOL' just make sure the wax doesn't smoke and you'll be fine. Don't hole
the iron in one place tho'.

--
kitemap
http://ugcc.co.uk

Old January 14th 05, 01:51 PM
David Brown :o\)

hold

--
kitemap
http://ugcc.co.uk

Old January 14th 05, 03:29 PM
Terje Johan Abrahamsen

"David Patnaude" wrote in message
I have a cheap iron that I am going to use for waxing. The temperature

dial
is labeled with fabric types rather than actual degrees. What temperature
is a good one to use for waxing? I am mostly concerned about going too hot
and doing damage to the board.

A cheap iron is fine. Its ok to use a high temperature as long as you keep
the iron in movement. When you can feel that the frontside of the board is
getting warmer you have ironed enough. However, do not keep the iron at the
same spot waiting for it to get warm at the front side. If you do so, you
will get bubbles in your base.

Old January 14th 05, 05:40 PM
Waco Paco

David Patnaude wrote:
I have a cheap iron that I am going to use for waxing. The temperature dial
is labeled with fabric types rather than actual degrees. What temperature
is a good one to use for waxing? I am mostly concerned about going too hot
and doing damage to the board.

Thanks,
Dave

The best thing to do is systematically go up in temperature until the
wax starts to melt. I think its the best thing to do because then you
know for sure you're not over heating. Just like the other posts, keep
the iron moving at all times. Also if you notice little black streaks
coming from the wax or iron, that means some of the wax is burning and
leaving carbon residue. So dial it back down a little.

Not only do you not want to burn your board, you don't want to burn your
wax either.

stu
Old January 14th 05, 06:50 PM
Mike T

Also if you notice little black streaks coming from the wax or iron, that
means some of the wax is burning and leaving carbon residue. So dial it
back down a little.

Not only do you not want to burn your board, you don't want to burn your
wax either.

You'll likely see smoke before black. If you see smoke, back it off as
well.

Mike T

Old January 14th 05, 09:55 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

David Patnaude wrote in
:

I have a cheap iron that I am going to use for waxing. The

temperature
dial is labeled with fabric types rather than actual degrees. What
temperature is a good one to use for waxing? I am mostly concerned

about
going too hot and doing damage to the board.

Don't forget to keep a door or window nearby open a bit..
the stuff in ski waxes is pretty nasty. You ain't gonna
die but it isn't good for you.

Old January 15th 05, 03:19 AM
bri719

David Brown ) wrote:
'WOOL' just make sure the wax doesn't smoke and you'll be fine. Don't hole
the iron in one place tho'.

wool works......I usually set it right between "wool" and "cotton" and
it works perfect, never damaging the board (no smoke either). one time
my friend got a $7 steam iron to use on his board and I guess it only
had 1 heat setting and it didn't work as well.

I just got a cheap (real) wax iron though so I'm very happy. no more
worrying about possibly ruining my steam iron or having to cover it with
tin foil.

good luck!!
bri

--
* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD to reply

Old January 16th 05, 12:44 PM
Terje Johan Abrahamsen

"bri719" wrote in message
David Brown ) wrote:
'WOOL' just make sure the wax doesn't smoke and you'll be fine. Don't

hole
the iron in one place tho'.

wool works......I usually set it right between "wool" and "cotton" and
it works perfect, never damaging the board (no smoke either). one time
my friend got a $7 steam iron to use on his board and I guess it only
had 1 heat setting and it didn't work as well.

Any non-steam iron will do fine.