Ski Binding Question

Old February 6th 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

Default Ski Binding Question

"Roger Moss" wrote in message

"Matt T" wrote in message
Agreed. Usual ski-tech questions centre on height, weight and ability -
i.e. aggressive or leisurely approach. Obviously, weight is a key factor
here.

I've never understood why. My bones don't get any thicker or stronger just
because I may put on weight!

However, my wife and I recently had to hire some skis in an old-style
family-run business in... well, anyway, the owner keyed all our details
(including age) into a rather dated-looking Rossignol calculator. The
figure which emerged was quite a bit lower than that which both of us have
used in the past, but we decided to go with it to prove a point.
Interestingly, despite skiing some of the steepest stuff in Areches quite
enthusiastically, we had no problems at all with pre-releasing.

Bottom Line, FWIW, seems to be that in the past maybe we've tended to
over-spec the settings.

I tell the shop to set my (hired) skis to 5 and my wifes to 3 (less than 9
stone). The skis don't pre-release.

I see no benefit in having them on tighter.

--
Michael Chare

Old February 6th 08, 12:09 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 6 Feb, 12:05, "Michael Chare"
wrote:
"Roger Moss" wrote in message

"Matt T" wrote in message
Agreed. Usual ski-tech questions centre on height, weight and ability -
i.e. aggressive or leisurely approach. Obviously, weight is a key factor
here.

I've never understood why. *My bones don't get any thicker or stronger just
because I may put on weight!

I've always assumed it's momentum - 70Kg at 50 Km/h will be more
likely to release than 50Kg at 50 Km/h and if you ski hard that could
make a big difference.

Matt
Old February 6th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:05:29 -0000, in
, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

"Roger Moss" wrote in message

"Matt T" wrote in message
Agreed. Usual ski-tech questions centre on height, weight and ability -
i.e. aggressive or leisurely approach. Obviously, weight is a key factor
here.

I've never understood why. My bones don't get any thicker or stronger just
because I may put on weight!

But the amount of pressure you're putting through the bindings does.
for example, a 20-stone man would just pop out of bindings set on 5 as
soon as he tried to edge even the gentlest turn, whereas a 5-stone
6-year-old might never release them on the same setting in even the
hardest twisting fall.

Old February 6th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

wrote:

"Roger Moss" wrote in message

"Matt T" wrote in message
Agreed. Usual ski-tech questions centre on height, weight and
ability - i.e. aggressive or leisurely approach. Obviously, weight
is a key factor here.

I've never understood why. My bones don't get any thicker or
stronger just because I may put on weight!

But the amount of pressure you're putting through the bindings does.
for example, a 20-stone man would just pop out of bindings set on 5 as
soon as he tried to edge even the gentlest turn, whereas a 5-stone
6-year-old might never release them on the same setting in even the
hardest twisting fall.

Also remember that boot sole length has a big effect on din setting, and
though it seems counter intuitive the bigger your feet, the lower your DIN
setting

--

Chris *:-)

Old February 6th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss

wrote:

"Roger Moss" wrote in message

"Matt T" wrote in message
Agreed. Usual ski-tech questions centre on height, weight and
ability - i.e. aggressive or leisurely approach. Obviously, weight
is a key factor here.

I've never understood why. My bones don't get any thicker or
stronger just because I may put on weight!

But the amount of pressure you're putting through the bindings does.
for example, a 20-stone man would just pop out of bindings set on 5 as
soon as he tried to edge even the gentlest turn, whereas a 5-stone
6-year-old might never release them on the same setting in even the
hardest twisting fall.

Also remember that boot sole length has a big effect on din setting, and
though it seems counter intuitive the bigger your feet, the lower your DIN
setting

--

Chris *:-)

Elementary physics agrees with you - think of the boot base/sole as the
lever, so the shorter it is for an applied force...

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude.

Old February 6th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Michael Chare

wrote:

"Roger Moss" wrote in message

"Matt T" wrote in message
Agreed. Usual ski-tech questions centre on height, weight and ability -
i.e. aggressive or leisurely approach. Obviously, weight is a key factor
here.

I've never understood why. My bones don't get any thicker or stronger
just
because I may put on weight!

But the amount of pressure you're putting through the bindings does.
for example, a 20-stone man would just pop out of bindings set on 5 as
soon as he tried to edge even the gentlest turn, whereas a 5-stone
6-year-old might never release them on the same setting in even the
hardest twisting fall.

But if the 20 stone man had the same size bones as a 10 stone man, then I
would say that he would be taking a considerable risk if he set the bindings
to a high setting.

--
Michael Chare

Old February 6th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PSmith[_2_]

"Ace" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 22:15:22 -0000, in
, "PSmith"
paulDOTsmith_UK@tiscaliDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

When my skis are in summer storage I always un-tension the bindings (which
recall reading some years ago as being good practice).

I really don't thin it's necessary. I've never done this, and most
years they bindings are re-tested (free, a servoce offered by our
employer, presumably to reduce accidents and lost time) and are fine.

I must say I have not realy looked into what constitutes a binding design. I
always have a mental picture of a piece of rubber under tension. I would
then suspect that rubber would deteriorate.

For all the years that I lived in Munich I never bothered de-tensioning my
bindings. Afterall the skis were never stored for that long anyway. Before
Munich I always de-tensioned and now that we are back in the UK with skis
stored in what can be a hot garden shed I did it as a matter of course.
Maybe I needn't bother in future - just have a pre-season service.

My wife has not skied (mainly because of the kids) for several years. Now
on
preparing her skis for our forthcoming trip to Kitzbühel I cannot find the
sheet of paper where I recorded her DIN settings. I think my wife's
bindings
where set to 7. She remembers them as being set to 7.

This could be correct, but only if she's a very fit, aggressive skier,
and not on the short and thin side. But the tone of your post seems to
suggest otherwise.

Alas not anymore. If only she were a thin and fit and aggressive skier! Then
she could keep up with me!

I have found several
websites with DIN guides, and I have downloaded DIN calculators: they
return
a value of 5.25/5.5 for my wife (based on age, height, weight, ability and
boot sole length)?

Sounds about right for an int-adv female of normal size, so I'd go
with it. Try skiing a couple of normal runs, then increase difficulty.
If they don't pre-release they should be fine.

Our local ski shop today calculated 5. My wife and I are somewhat confused
by our recollection of the 7. She does plan a couple of "shakedown" runs to
ensure they perform as expected.

When she bought her skis (in Munich), the technician
measured the width of her leg / bone as part of binding setup. Is there a
reason for this discrepancy?

Doubtful. More likely the ski-tech was using some ancient
approximation, possibly based on the longer skis of yore.

Her skis/bindings (Salomon) are probably five
years old (but she is very happy with them): is this a factor?

No.

Thanks very much for the useful advise. There are certainly some
interesting things coming out of this thread.

Paul

Old February 6th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PSmith[_2_]

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
wrote:

"Roger Moss" wrote in message

"Matt T" wrote in message
[...]

All the guidance on DIN settings hovers around age as well. Hitting "50" the
DIN settings seem to reduce by 1. I appreciate that bones in older people
can become brittle, or is it an indication that older people should slow
down!

Paul

Old February 7th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:12:47 -0000, in
, "PSmith"
paulDOTsmith_UK@tiscaliDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 22:15:22 -0000, in
, "PSmith"
paulDOTsmith_UK@tiscaliDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

When my skis are in summer storage I always un-tension the bindings (which
recall reading some years ago as being good practice).

I really don't thin it's necessary. I've never done this, and most
years they bindings are re-tested (free, a servoce offered by our
employer, presumably to reduce accidents and lost time) and are fine.

I must say I have not realy looked into what constitutes a binding design. I
always have a mental picture of a piece of rubber under tension.

Well I suggest you endeavour to lose that image and replace it with
one made up of high-quality metal springs in perfect balance.

I would then suspect that rubber would deteriorate.

Modern materials, including rubber (usually at least partially
artificial) are astonishing in their versatility and longevity. And
all else apart, if rubber were going to perish over time it would do
si just as much whether under tension or not.

For all the years that I lived in Munich I never bothered de-tensioning my
bindings. Afterall the skis were never stored for that long anyway. Before
Munich I always de-tensioned and now that we are back in the UK with skis
stored in what can be a hot garden shed I did it as a matter of course.
Maybe I needn't bother in future - just have a pre-season service.

Probably. There is a school of thought that suggests the
de-/re-tensioning puts more strain on the springs than just leaving
them, or so I've heard.

Old February 7th 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:19:18 -0000, in
, "PSmith"
paulDOTsmith_UK@tiscaliDOTcoDOTuk wrote:

All the guidance on DIN settings hovers around age as well. Hitting "50" the
DIN settings seem to reduce by 1. I appreciate that bones in older people
can become brittle, or is it an indication that older people should slow
down!

Yes, and Yes. Or more accurately that most people become somewhat less
gung-ho and more controlled as they get older and wiser. The
overriding rule should always be that bindings should be set as low as
is possible, to avoid injury, while still ensuring they'll stay on for
any level of abuse which the skier would be able to recover from. If
you don't _need_ your bindings set high, don't set them high.

Binding Remounting question? New One Alpine Skiing 7 April 22nd 04 03:09 PM
Binding Question Wes Gardner Alpine Skiing 1 February 22nd 04 08:42 PM
Binding Question Wes Gardner Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 February 22nd 04 03:08 PM
Binding Question Wes Gardner General 0 February 22nd 04 02:45 PM
Atomic REX and binding question Armin Alpine Skiing (moderated) 1 February 6th 04 12:33 AM