Bohemia comments, or "ouch"

Old February 22nd 06, 10:43 PM

bdubya wrote:

The mystery remains....that little hill just kicks my butt like
nowhere else I've been.

Heh. When I was up there in the summer a couple of years ago Troy (the
proprietor at Lac La Belle Lodge) asked me if I was planning on coming
up in the winter to ski. To which I blithly replied "I dunno. It's an
awfully long way to drive just to get my ass kicked." Little did I know...

//Walt

Old February 22nd 06, 10:47 PM

On 2006-02-22, bdubya penned:

As for conditioning, while I certainly don't claim to be in JHAF
studbomb condition, I am definitely in my best shape since I was a
teenager. Seems like if it's conditioning, it should affect me
more on a Real Mountain, right? But it doesn't. Thanks for the
tip on the ibu, but I just don't take it that often; we're talking
like 800mg total over the 3-day weekend, and it's rare for me to
take it at all (like not for several weeks at a stretch).

The ibuprofin thing worries me. For the last few years, I've
preloaded on NSAIDs (actually aleve, not ibuprofin, usually) before
heading up the mountain. Mostly it's my bad knees; this season it's a
bad wrist.

Perhaps I'll try not taking it this weekend. I just hope my wrist can
handle it. Then again, if it hurts too much without the pain killers,
I probably shouldn't be doing it with them, either. I'm just so
flippin' sick of sitting out on my favorite activities because of
injury.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old February 22nd 06, 10:59 PM

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:47:26 -0500, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2006-02-22, bdubya penned:

[...]

Ever try Tiger Balm? I was always skeptical, but it actually seems to
work. Especially the red stuff. JD's right, conditioning is key
(I've beefed up my quads and hams lately, and my knees seem happier
for it), but the Tiger Balm brought me more relief this weekend than
the ibuprofen.

bw

Old February 22nd 06, 11:12 PM

On 2006-02-22, bdubya penned:

Ever try Tiger Balm? I was always skeptical, but it actually seems
to work. Especially the red stuff. JD's right, conditioning is
key (I've beefed up my quads and hams lately, and my knees seem
happier for it), but the Tiger Balm brought me more relief this
weekend than the ibuprofen.

Actually, no ... I have an arnica and other stuff cream that acts a
lot like icy hot ... but not Tiger Balm. I assume it's specifically
for soreness, not injury?

Does it feel hot to the touch right away?

I am not sure if any sort of balm would help my wrist problem. Mostly
I don't know because no one seems to have any idea what's wrong with
it. Some deep tissue / trigger point massage has increased my range
of motion, but it's still not healed.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old February 22nd 06, 11:15 PM

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:43:49 -0500, Walt
wrote:

bdubya wrote:

The mystery remains....that little hill just kicks my butt like
nowhere else I've been.

Heh. When I was up there in the summer a couple of years ago Troy (the
proprietor at Lac La Belle Lodge) asked me if I was planning on coming
up in the winter to ski. To which I blithly replied "I dunno. It's an
awfully long way to drive just to get my ass kicked." Little did I know...

You're right, but still somehow I keep coming back for more....

bw

Old February 23rd 06, 12:02 AM

Jeff Davis wrote:
Ibuprophen interferes with the body's
natural repair process.

Medical study reference, please?

Old February 23rd 06, 02:46 AM

On 2006-02-22, bdubya penned:

Ever try Tiger Balm? I was always skeptical, but it actually seems
to work. Especially the red stuff. JD's right, conditioning is
key (I've beefed up my quads and hams lately, and my knees seem
happier for it), but the Tiger Balm brought me more relief this
weekend than the ibuprofen.

Actually, no ... I have an arnica and other stuff cream that acts a
lot like icy hot ... but not Tiger Balm. I assume it's specifically
for soreness, not injury?

Does it feel hot to the touch right away?

Pretty much. Most folks find it pretty intense.

I am not sure if any sort of balm would help my wrist problem. Mostly
I don't know because no one seems to have any idea what's wrong with
it. Some deep tissue / trigger point massage has increased my range
of motion, but it's still not healed.

I think stuff like Tiger Balm or Ben Gay primarily works because it's an
irritant, and as such, stimulates circulation to the injured area.
That's a nontrivial healing mechanism, FWIW. I got hit on the hill last
Wednesday, took Thursday off, and have been working and healing since
Friday primarily on Tiger Balm.

Old February 23rd 06, 03:57 AM

On 2006-02-23, Mary Malmros penned:

I think stuff like Tiger Balm or Ben Gay primarily works because
it's an irritant, and as such, stimulates circulation to the injured
area.

Hrm, interesting point, especially when doctors talk about certain
areas having trouble healing because of the relative lack of blood
flow.

--
monique
Longmont, CO

Old February 23rd 06, 04:35 AM

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:57:32 -0500, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2006-02-22, bdubya penned:

No, it takes a few minutes. And if you rub your eyes after applying
it, may God have mercy on you....

Good point. I'll be careful (once I figure out where to buy it around
here).

Check your local pharmacy for a start. Or if you have a good crunchy
holistic healing boutique in the neighborhood, they'd be worth a check
as well. The white stuff is pretty much like concentrated Vicks
VapoRub, the red stuff is hotter and (IMHO) has less of an odor. I
recommend the red.

bw

Old February 23rd 06, 08:34 AM

In article ,
bdubya wrote:
Ever try Tiger Balm? I was always skeptical, but it actually seems to
work. Especially the red stuff. JD's right, conditioning is key
(I've beefed up my quads and hams lately, and my knees seem happier
for it), but the Tiger Balm brought me more relief this weekend than
the ibuprofen.

Ratty Kanzler turned me on to Glucosamine Chondroitin. I jacked my rebuilt
knee bouldering in the gym while I was in training for Denali. The JH
Ski Patrol swears by Glucosamine Chondroitin. In a week I was back running
up hill ad nausium.

Glucosamine Chondroitin is expensive. And it seems to be hard on the stomach
without food. What it does for joints is cumulative and extremely effective.
No analgesia. Just dietary supplimentation that makes joints preform much
better.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."