Skier etiquette

Old January 24th 05, 09:07 AM
Anders

Trails are usually more than wide enough to accompany two skiers (a
fast one and yourself) without the faster one having to call out a
warning each time. (...)

The fact is that some slower skiers do get startled by faster skiers
who whizz by them because from their very subjective point of view the
trail is not wide enough and/or the faster skier passes too close for
comfort.
Etiquettewise this is just as importnat as their objective safety - and
the relevant questions are whether we should startle them or not and,
if not, how could we best avoid causing them any displeasantness.

IMHO there are two rules: 1) Do not appear like a bolt out of the blue;
make some noise (kick loudly, cough, whistle, whatever) *well before
you=B4re at his/her tail* and 2a) Switch tracks or hop into the skating
lane/ *in good time* or 2b) make your skating movement narrower(so that
it=B4s immediately obvious to the slower skier than there=B4s no need for
him to jump anywhere to avoid a collision or to escape your fury) .
There=B4s usually no need to issue any explicit warning.

However, if the passee moves aside it=B4s polite to thank (and if you
have the time, to add "It=B4s the faster skier who moves aside,
though!").

Anders

Old January 24th 05, 09:24 AM
Anders

Terje Mathisen wrote:

When meeting another skier, keep to the right.

There aren=B4t too many trails with single classical tracks anymore, but
that rule, as marvellously simple as it is, often tended to result in
the ridiculous situation where *both* skiers stepped out of the tracks!
If one skier wanted to indicate that he=B4d be readily the one to yield
(before age or beauty), he had to step out 50m ahead:-)

(BTW the exception to this rule is, of course, that a lone skier
usually moves aside for a train or group of skiers.)

Anders

Old January 24th 05, 09:34 AM
taywood

"SUSAN BURAK" wrote in message
Well put Hank. This is what most of us here practice.
Sue

Lets be clear that the post is about skiing on open trails, with
the general public who may have varying degrees of ski skills.
You dont know how skilled that person is as you approach.

Its not about racing where a shout for track is immediately
recognised.
From the posts so far it seems we dont follow a constant
etiquette routine.
Mike

Old January 24th 05, 11:38 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:21:40 -0600, Gene Goldenfeld
wrote:

I think you should go back and think about what was actually said and
implied in the original post, rather than throwing off thoughtless
comments. If the person in front is going to be startled, then the
chances are the available (or whole) trail is not wide.

If you want to popularize the sport, how about saying "Hello" which
are actual greetings, rather than "On your left", "Track" and "hup" or
"Coming through", which are greetings rather than statements telling
the slower skier they must "prepare" for the faster skier

Moreover, how
does it serve popularizing the sport and building a friendly atmosphere
to go around startling people?

Interesting logical shift. Because I said that skiers/cyclists should
pass others at a reasonable and safe distance and not be concerned if
they are startled (as opposed to passing close and yelling "on your
left" or "track", while at the same time not being concerned if, when
passing at a safe distance, they are startled, the question has become
"going around startling people." That's quite a shift. If anyone
actually wants to startled people, there are even better ways than
passing them silently (or with a "Hello") while several feet away.

The same applies on a bicycle, where
it's also a matter of safety (somebody veering out into the way of the
passer out of careless, care-freeness or to avoid an obstacle the
passing cyclist can't see).

On a bike the fundamental issue is not to pass too close. If you pass
at a reasonable distance, there is nearly zero danger. And by the
time the other cyclist is aware of you, by the time they swerve, you
will be past them.

The on-the-bike warnings are retarded. Think about it -- do you want
cars to honk when they pass you? Or even worse, pass you close while
honking? What if the driver says "I just want to let the cyclist know
that I am coming so they are not startled and don't veer out -- for
their own safety."

And then, there's the matter of cyclists
passing rollerskiers -- don't get me started. I agree 100% with the OP.

The fundamental problem is that too many people doing the overtaking
pass to close. They believe that if you are going faster and catch
someone, they have to get out of your way. That is only true in
racing in some sports. It's absolutely not true on public trails or
roads. And too many people who subscribe to the "track" "on your
left" "c oming through" school of thought try to defend their actions
by talking about safety or not starting people, when really what they
are saying is "here I come, get out of my way or at least don't move."

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 24th 05, 11:47 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

Sorry, I should have written:

If you want to popularize the sport, how about saying "Hello" or
"How's it going" which are actual greetings, rather than "On your
left", "Track" and "hup" or "Coming through", which are NOT greetings
but rather statements telling the slower skier they must "prepare" for
the faster skier.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 24th 05, 01:07 PM
Terje Mathisen

Anders wrote:

Terje Mathisen wrote:

When meeting another skier, keep to the right.

There arenŽt too many trails with single classical tracks anymore, but
that rule, as marvellously simple as it is, often tended to result in
the ridiculous situation where *both* skiers stepped out of the tracks!
If one skier wanted to indicate that heŽd be readily the one to yield
(before age or beauty), he had to step out 50m ahead:-)

Oh, yes, and when they do, as often happen if they are skiing relatively
slowly, and I'm out there all dressed in lycra, I always say a sincere
'Tusen Takk' (Thank You).

Many skiers in Nordmarka have adopted a half-way solution though: We'll
step half-way out of the track, to the right, so that our left ski is in
the right half of the track, and the right ski is outside in the loose
stuff.

When both skiers do this, they can ski at nearly the same speed, without
having to stop or get all snowy.

(BTW the exception to this rule is, of course, that a lone skier
usually moves aside for a train or group of skiers.)

Right.

Terje

--
-
Old January 24th 05, 02:03 PM
Mitch Collinsworth

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

The on-the-bike warnings are retarded. Think about it -- do you want
cars to honk when they pass you? Or even worse, pass you close while
honking? What if the driver says "I just want to let the cyclist know
that I am coming so they are not startled and don't veer out -- for
their own safety."

As retarded as this may seem, it's supported by New York State Vehicle
and Traffic Law.

-Mitch

Old January 24th 05, 02:22 PM
sknyski

Thoughtless? I think not. A logical, well-constructed argument, with
a touch of humor? That's more like it.
Thank you, thank you, hold the applause.

:-)

bt

Old January 24th 05, 03:34 PM
Bruce Freeburger

Sknyski,
Your attitude reminds me of the '80s movie "Hot Dog". The villain is
this snobby expert super skier who has come to the ski town to win the
local stunt ski competition. He and his pack of well dressed followers
come on the local kids on the downhill slope. He scolds the local kids
by saying something like "Get out of my way, you slow people! You can
ski on the left. You can ski on the right. But not in the middle!"
The local kids tell him "Kiss my ass. Not on the left. Not on the
right. But in the middle."

The most important lesson I ever got from a ski instructor was this:
"Skiing is fun. If you are not having fun you are skiing wrong."

You need to learn this.

Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger

To reply: get rid of SNOWMOBILES and UNLEASHEDDOGS

sknyski wrote:
This is retarded.

[Just a historical note: Nazi Germany passed legislation so they could
legally round up the mentally retarded and exterminated them, as well as
jews, gypsies, and homosexuals.]
Old January 24th 05, 03:45 PM

I may not have been clear in what I posted yesterday -- I completely
agree with sknyski, especially what he wrote below. Note the phrases
"wide berth", "go around" and "on occassion hello." Those things are
what *real* etiquette is about.

JFT

sknyski wrote:
This is retarded. Do you honk each time
you pass a car on the freeway?
Trails are usually more than wide enough
to accompany two skiers (a
fast one and yourself) without the faster
one having to call out a
warning each time. Not to sound like a
complete asshole (it's hard,
trust me), but if I'm skiing at a place like
Royal Gorge I'd go hoarse
by the end of the day calling out a warning
each time I went past
someone. I just give people a wide berth,
go around (instead of
yelling track and expecting them to move),
and on occasion saying
hello.