Who's Still Not Skiing?

Old January 5th 05, 05:30 PM
J999w

I'm going to try it this afternoon. 2" on the ground with a lot of blowing, so
I think I can find _something_ to kick a track into. More snow predicted for
tonight.

More snow? This may seriously dig into my Nordic Track time (thank gawd).

jw
milwaukee
Old January 5th 05, 08:08 PM
Brendon M. Troy

I haven't skiied any more than you, of course, here in Rochester.
Thinking of heading up to Tug Hill / Osceola this weekend. I was
in Jackson, NH around the holidays, though, and got in two
wonderful days. Rather than satiate me, though, they just made
the bare (now barely snow-covered) ground even harder to take.
::sigh::

Old January 5th 05, 10:07 PM
Ken Roberts

Gary Jacobson
My sense is that within 3.5 hours drive from
here only Lake Placid has had nice skiing this year.

Actually Garnet Hill had better cover than Van Ho. I had a very fun day
skating there on New Years Eve. Their base was so good that I thought the
skiing was better than what they said. They recommended that I stick with 4H
and Old Faithful and Wilderness. Instead I skied every trail except the ones
down to the lake -- and even one trail section that had never been open all
season and was completely ungroomed gave me a nice skating experience.
Thanks to Doug Diehl for alerting us on this newsgroup to the favored status
of Garnet Hill this December.

Then we drove up to Lake Placid for New Years Day. Even before getting to Mt
Van Hoevenberg, it was easy to see that the whole Lake Placid area had less
snow on the ground than further south around North Creek. Sharon and I were
the first ones in the parking lot at Van Ho on New Years Day. Only on a
small percentage of trails were open, and surface conditions were only
tolerable.

But once we got used to it, we had lots of fun. By the end of the day I saw
everybody from downstate there skiing -- except you and John T. It was a
breakthrough day in skating for Sharon -- also for me.

Then the next day Andrey and I did something bad -- so bad that I cannot
say it on this newsgroup without permanently damaging our (remaining)
credibility. It was a breakthrough day in badness on snow for Andrey.

Ken

Old January 5th 05, 10:18 PM
Gary Jacobson

"Ken Roberts" wrote in message

Then the next day Andrey and I did something bad -- so bad that I cannot
say it on this newsgroup without permanently damaging our (remaining)
credibility. It was a breakthrough day in badness on snow for Andrey.

Ken

Don't tell me you guys waxed up and skied classic. No, please, no.

Something white is headed our way, and because it will be mixed we could
have some crusty skiing for a few hours tomorrow. Then into the 40 F's
again.

Too dirty to roller ski with anything but pneumo classic or skate
rollerskis.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old January 5th 05, 10:36 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 23:07:16 GMT, "Ken Roberts"
wrote:

But once we got used to it, we had lots of fun. By the end of the day I saw
everybody from downstate there skiing -- except you and John T.

I spent 7 hours on the bike that weekend.

We'd headed back to NYC on the Wednesday before New Year's (the skiing
was still very good, as I think it was on the Friday too.

Good to hear about Sharon's advances in skating.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 5th 05, 11:12 PM

Gary Jacobson wrote:
Not a day, maybe a few hours of skiing here so far, but I haven't

skied once
this year.

Could have driven 2.5 hours to ski in ok conditions a few days, and

haven't
been interested in skiing up and down ski slopes on days I could

ride, or
run in the forest.

My sense is that within 3.5 hours drive from here only Lake Placid

has had
nice skiing this year.

Nothing really on the horizon.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

I've been swamp skiing in the Twin Cities. In fact, I'm North America's
foremost expert on swamp skiing. I have swamps stashed all over the
Twin Cities. Skied one today and one yesterday. I can tell you what
weather conditions are favorable for swamp skiing. Freezing rain and
meltdowns aren't always a problem either.

Jay Tegeder
"Swamp King"
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT

Old January 5th 05, 11:16 PM
Bob

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message

"Ken Roberts" wrote in message

Then the next day Andrey and I did something bad -- so bad that I

cannot
say it on this newsgroup without permanently damaging our (remaining)
credibility. It was a breakthrough day in badness on snow for Andrey.

Ken

Don't tell me you guys waxed up and skied classic. No, please, no.

No... he's probably trying to avoid saying that he went snowboarding. Oh the
horror, the horror.

Bob

Old January 6th 05, 03:31 AM

Gee, I'm starting to feel a little guilty out here. No, wait...OK, it's
passed. Whew!

Mark

Old January 6th 05, 03:55 AM

My wife and me skied skating on the 3d at VanHo. 5 K of slush. We made
6 laps.

BTW when buying the ski passes, I noticed that the old lady at the
counter had a sheet where she had a log of sold tickets... from the
25th till the 3d. I remember the orders of magnitude only:

30 (bright sunny day and lower 20s -) - 2500
1 (rain) 50
2 (rain) 20
3 (rain) **zero** - me and my wife were the proud owners of the only 2
ski passes sold that day.

BTW, Ken won't admit, but we all did go snowboarding at WF on the 2nd,
under the rain. Had a great time. Sharon, Ken, and Tony patiently
babysitted us. I sprained my wrist and... bought snowboarding boots the
same night.

Old January 6th 05, 04:20 AM
Tony

Yeah, I could have skied every day but my wife would have something to say
about that.

15cms (6") in the forecast for tomorrow so we're looking at great skiing for
the weekend.

Tony
Ottawa

"cpella" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been able to ski here in Ottawa (Gatineau Park) since early
December. There were only 2 days over the holidays when it rained and I
didn't try skiing, but the skiing was fine the next day. On the weekend
we had some ice pellets over a fairly hard base and it has made for
awesome skating. They are doing a great job grooming even with the up
and down weather patterns.

Chris

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 08:03 PM