Who's Still Not Skiing?

Old January 5th 05, 02:16 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Who's Still Not Skiing?

Not a day, maybe a few hours of skiing here so far, but I haven't skied once
this year.

Could have driven 2.5 hours to ski in ok conditions a few days, and haven't
been interested in skiing up and down ski slopes on days I could ride, or
run in the forest.

My sense is that within 3.5 hours drive from here only Lake Placid has had
nice skiing this year.

Nothing really on the horizon.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old January 5th 05, 02:49 AM
sknyski

2.5 hours to skiing......I dream about that.
bt - a.k.a. "25,000 mile a year man"

Old January 5th 05, 05:58 AM
Tony

Skiing in Gatineau Parc Gary. Klister weather but good tracks. Surprised
myself actually. I'm not a fan of klister so would always skate when weather
turned. But this year do not have skate boots so forced to apply klister.
Had a hour session yesterday.

Tony
Ottawa

Old January 5th 05, 12:55 PM
Trailpatrol

In MinneSNOWta we have snow to the north, across the northern third of
the state, snow south (in fact it's snowing there right now) across
southern MN and Iowa, snow east in Wisconsin, but no real snow here in
the Twin Cities area. Under 3 inches for the season, the least snow in
114 years for January 5th. Bitter cold, but nothing in the forecast,
and everytime the do predict snow, it either turns to rain and ice or
goes south of here. Arrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!

Ski safe, (you lucky dog!)
Hans

Old January 5th 05, 12:58 PM
Jonathan Scheuch

Have not skied yet here in central NH. What little snow we got about 2
weeks ago has mostly melted and the grass was looking rather green this
week. Very depressing.

Jonathan Scheuch
New London, NH

Old January 5th 05, 01:32 PM
Bjorn A. Payne Diaz

Well, it now starts to be definitions. The lakes have frozen and
there's fine frozen ice pellets on top. With the wind, and with very
good balance, you can V2. The legs are going through the motion more
than really kicking. Against the wind, it's double pole time. For those
who don't have superb balance, the whole workout is dp'ing. So does
that count as skiing?

We have excellent skiing 3.5 hours north of here (Giants Ridge and the
North shore. Duluth should also have good conditions (2 hrs north), but
the scenery is not as nice at Snowflake (the one place I have skied in
Duluth). The Birkie Trail (3 hrs north) sounds pretty marginal until
they get more snow. Maybe the groomers will churn up snow by later in
the week. Right now the temps up north (-10 F or so) are not appealing.

On the crosstraining front:
-Running: ok, but watch out for the shoveled areas, trail running is
good
-Biking: Too cold and too much salt
-Golf: Possible, but don't take a divot

Jay Wenner

Old January 5th 05, 02:37 PM
Bkstuber

Bjorn,

I'm going to focus on the Vikings/Packers and Beer, alot easier!

There is the man-made snow options of Elm Creed and Trollhollow.

Mov'in to Iowa,

Bill
Old January 5th 05, 02:51 PM
Pete

Gary: Depressing ain't it? No snow for skiing and, at least where I am
in NE PA, too icy for rollerskiing. What has saved me is a set of
clip-on nordic skates that I got from Jamie Hess at Nordic Skater. I go
up to a lake not far from home(Lake Jean, elev. 2400 ft.) and seriously
frozen through all this warm weather and skate around the shoreline.
Not the same amount of loading as skating on skis of course but better
than sitting home.
Pete

Old January 5th 05, 03:09 PM
Ben Kaufman

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:16:05 GMT, "Gary Jacobson"
wrote:

Not a day, maybe a few hours of skiing here so far, but I haven't skied once
this year.

Could have driven 2.5 hours to ski in ok conditions a few days, and haven't
been interested in skiing up and down ski slopes on days I could ride, or
run in the forest.

My sense is that within 3.5 hours drive from here only Lake Placid has had
nice skiing this year.

Nothing really on the horizon.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Hi Gary,

I'm about an hour below you in Rockland. Same here. (sniff, sniff).
At least the weather has been warm. Who needs cold without snow?
Last year we had that great snow in December only to be melted by a similar
heat wave. The warmth was much more enjoyable this year knowing that it was not
ruining the ski center.

I am seeing snow fall outside my window as I type this but I am not too hopeful
since it is supposed to turn to rain. If we are not going to get any, might as
well move right on to Spring.

Ben
Old January 5th 05, 04:22 PM
cpella

I've been able to ski here in Ottawa (Gatineau Park) since early
December. There were only 2 days over the holidays when it rained and I
didn't try skiing, but the skiing was fine the next day. On the weekend
we had some ice pellets over a fairly hard base and it has made for
awesome skating. They are doing a great job grooming even with the up
and down weather patterns.

Chris

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 04:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 01:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 09:03 PM