Unni Odegard/always wear a helmet

Old August 20th 04, 07:47 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

"Diva" wrote in message ...
A few years back a guy rollerblading at one of the metroparks here
took a backward spill and died from bashing his head into the
pavement. Since then I've worn a helmet when rollerblading. On those
times when you don't wear a helmet, you may literally become an
"idiot," at best (or perhaps at worst, depending upon your view of
things).

Is that how you make decisions about safety in life? If you hear of
one person having a particular type of accident you try to prevent it
in a particular way?

So if I heard of, say, one person getting his head cracked in a train
crash I can tell people they had better wear a helmet on the train or
else they are idiots? Or if I know a person who broke his wrist
downhill skiiing then I had better wear an elbow brace or I am an
idiot. And all the while not looking at the big picture in terms of
safety -- like where was the person skiing and was he skiing within
his abilities. And also how likely an accident like that is to occur.

I know of two people who have died from facial injuries while cycling.
I guess they are idiots for not having a face mask on. I guess I am
for not wearing one.

I think people that say things like "Never
rollerski/bike/horseride/ski without a helmet" are simplisitic idiots.

JT
Old August 20th 04, 08:13 PM
Diva

No, that's not HOW I decide. I always had a helmet, but I only wore it
sometimes. When I was REMINDED of how serious it could get, I started
wearing my helmet all the time. Jesus! You are really hostile. You
sound like you just bashed your thumb with a hammer. You just made a
huge generalization yourself in your last sentence.

June

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
m...

Old August 20th 04, 10:38 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:13:25 -0400, "Diva" wrote:

No, that's not HOW I decide. I always had a helmet, but I only wore it
sometimes. When I was REMINDED of how serious it could get, I started
wearing my helmet all the time.

So if you were on vacation away from home, and forgot to bring a
helmft, and you saw a nice clear path you could rollerski or
rollerblade on with no traffic, you would not dare do it without your
helmet? Brilliant. I guess safety is REALLY important to you. You
never know when a squirrel or bird could trip you and you could land
on your head, and have a serous accident? Brilliant. Yeah, never go
out without a helmet.

Jesus! You are really hostile. You
sound like you just bashed your thumb with a hammer. You just made a
huge generalization yourself in your last sentence.

My last sentence was 'I think people that say things like "Never
rollerski/bike/horseride/ski without a helmet" are simplisitic
idiots.'

That is true.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 21st 04, 12:02 AM
Diva

Are you taking steroids? Testosterone supplements? Do you realize that
the things you are bitching about are really not very important?
Perhaps you should visit a local nursing home like I did yesterday.
You might realize that this type of carrying on is not really very
important in the wider scope of life. Do you realize that you cannot
control how others think and that others have a right to their
opinions? Yes, your last sentence is a HUGE generalization....because
people say that they never rollerski without a helmet they are
simplistic idiots. It doesn't matter whatever else they do in life --
if they make that statement then they are simplistic idiots. Well,
with that I disagree and that is my prerogative.

Old August 21st 04, 04:25 AM
sknyski

WOW! Is this some sort of a record-long thread for r.s.n.? Can't
wait to see what it has evolved to by the time I touch down in
Australia!!!

See ya,
bt
Old August 21st 04, 08:47 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:02:33 -0400, "Diva" wrote:

Are you taking steroids? Testosterone supplements? Do you realize that
the things you are bitching about are really not very important?

Do you realize that you cannot
control how others think and that others have a right to their
opinions? Yes, your last sentence is a HUGE generalization....because
people say that they never rollerski without a helmet they are
simplistic idiots.

Please learn to read more carefully. "Never rollerski withou a
helmet" is a prescription. It's giving advice that is way too
simplistic to be taken seriously. Anyone who says that is an idiot.

It's not the same as "I never rollerski without a helmet." I think
that majority of people who say things like that have not thought
about what it really means, and are being logically sloppy. But
they're not necessarily idiots.

Got it? "Never rollerski without a helmet" is not the same as "I
never rollerski without a helmet."

The guy who started this thread is the hostile one, calling me and
hundreds of other people idiots.

Perhaps you should visit a local nursing home like I did yesterday.
You might realize that this type of carrying on is not really very
important in the wider scope of life.

People who feel a need to call other people idiots for the wrong
reasons, and then get huffy about their nonsnese being objected to are
a very serious problem in life. Like is about living and thinking
clearly. If you think it's appropriate to be a busybody, supporting
stupid prescriptive statements about other people's behaviour and then
objecting to that being denounced by calling someone "hostile" and
suggesting they are on drugs, you have a very fundamental emotional
problem and I think you should sit back, chill and think about what is
really important.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 21st 04, 11:14 AM
FrontRunner

Me thinks we need some snow. Then we can discuss the relative merits of
Swix v. Toko. Anyone who uses Toko is an idiot.

The FrontRunner
Helmet when cycling, not while rollerskiing. No rational reason.

om...

Old August 21st 04, 12:34 PM
Diva

I have a right to my opinion. You have a right to your opinion. I know
I am correct in what I believe. Apparently you think you are. I'm
done with this conversation. Buh bye!

Old August 21st 04, 01:40 PM
Jeff Potter

"Scott Elliot" wrote in message news:T6oVc.40456$fz2.12421@edtnps89...
Here is the Cross Country Canada policy on roller skiing.

http://canada.x-c.com/main.asp?cmd=doc&ID=1804&lan=0

Item 7.d. indicates a hard-shell, regulation helmet (ANSI, CSA or Snell) is
mandatory.

Recommeded for inexperienced roller skiers are leather-palmed gloves, wrist
guards, knee pads and elbow pads.

Interesting. Gloves should be HUGELY recommended. They are commonly
needed. How like is hand injury? Once a year for most skiers probably.
A glove sure helps.

Gloves and EYEWEAR protect against almost-inevitable injury and even
very likely serious injury. Helmets protect against very rare but very
serious injury. Both levels are important.

---JP