Best way to train uphill skating on flat terrain?

Old May 13th 04, 08:08 AM
J999w

Default Best way to train uphill skating on flat terrain?

Have you tried the up-ramp in a parking garage, at 4:30 AM when
it's not busy, on your rollerskis? 6 storeys X 10 X twice a week
and you should be all set come Sept., if you survive it.

Best, Peter

That would add downhill practice too as you try to escape the security car !

Whoooooaaaaaaa !!!

jw
Old May 13th 04, 12:45 PM
Ken Roberts

further west in New Jersey last Sunday -- and remembering Andrey's
accomplishment three years ago -- I skated all the way up Fiddlers Elbow
hill for my first time. Toughest paved climb in the state: average
steepness at least 12% grade, with a section over 15%. Of course I used no
speed reducer. And fast hard wheels.

But I kept doing true V1 technique with offset double-poling all the way to
the top -- no switch to "diagonal" poling on the steepest part.

One problem I notice with V1 offset double-poling on pavement is that my
pole tip on my pole-recovery side (non-hang-side) sometimes fails to grip
the pavement -- rather disconcerting when you're in the middle of a steep
climb.

I think that's one of the reasons to use _shorter_ poles for dryland
training -- so the angle of the tip into the pavement is more vertical, so
less chance of the pole-tip doing some "skating" of its own.

Ken
_____________________________________
"revyakin" wrote
Aero 150s, speed reducer on "4". Worked just
fine for me when I lived in central Jersey.

Old May 13th 04, 12:52 PM
Fitzgerald

I think all of our poles are shorter on rollerskis due to wheel heights.
Fitzgerald

Old May 13th 04, 12:54 PM
Ken Roberts

I used to train for (non-skating) skiing by climbing 13 stories of stairs
wearing a backpack with weights in it. I usually took the elevator down
between laps -- to reduce impact on my knees and ankles. Elevator or
stairway for descent should increase the probability of survival for
parking-garage climb training.

But I think you'd still want speed-reducers on the rollerskis, even though
it's uphill, because parking-garage ramps are much gentler than lots of XC
ski climbs, and because parking-garage concrete is much faster than most
snow.

Ken

Peter Hoffman wrote

Old May 13th 04, 01:02 PM
Ken Roberts

Fitzgerald wrote
I think all of our poles are shorter on rollerskis due to wheel heights.

Right -- but nowadays I'm going even shorter. For skating on snow I use
155cm or 150cm poles. But on pavement I'm using 145cm.

This idea is not original with me -- I saw it recommended in articles by
some U.S. National team guys.

I'm just giving another reason for even-shorter poles when on dryland.

Ken

Old May 13th 04, 01:17 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

In the summer, back when we were much more "gung-ho," we used to do our
pole hikes in hilly terrain hauling logs (much like the hauling tires
already suggested, but more woodsy). This has been mentioned on the list
in years past. The size log is up to you. Puns optional.
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old May 13th 04, 03:18 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Where did you see a recommendation of shorter poles for rollerskiing,
and was it blanket or for specific drills? I've never seen any general
recommendation of the kind.

Gene

Fitzgerald wrote

Old May 13th 04, 06:23 PM
Ken Roberts

Gene Goldenfeld wrote
Where did you see a recommendation of shorter poles
for rollerskiing . . . I've never seen any general
recommendation of the kind.

Whenever Nathan Schultz writes something, I make a point of reading it
carefully. I found this article on "Important Rollerski Tips" in the
Pre-Season 2004-2004 issue of The Master Skier magazine:
http://masterskier.com/articles/0304...erskitips.html

Ken

Old May 13th 04, 06:32 PM
Fitzgerald

I took that to mean non roller skiing dryland exercises.
Fitzgerald
155cm on snow
155cm on road

Old May 13th 04, 06:55 PM
J999w

I used to train for (non-skating) skiing by climbing 13 stories of stairs
wearing a backpack with weights in it. I usually took the elevator down
between laps -- to reduce impact on my knees and ankles.

Ohhhhhhhh ... this sounds familiar !

We used to do this same workout once a week in the math building at the U of
Wis - Milwaukee. 12 stories plus a basement and sub basement. Sub 2 minute
intervals taking two steps at a time with hands on the lower back - speedskater
style. You can vary the workout by starting one floor higher each rep, or
conversely working your way down one floor each time up. For a while, we drew a
number from a hat, and that was the floor we'd start from. This is a lot of fun
if you're with someone else ... pure agony by yourself.

We moved over to the math building from the 26 floor dorms because we'd loose
too much time picking up laundry dropped by startled co-eds as we ran up the
stairs.

Oh ... those were the days.

jw
milwaukee