Other Interests

Old March 6th 04, 11:38 PM
Terje Mathisen

Default Other Interests

-JP- wrote:

Outdoor sports is a small-world family scene to an extent, so I
appreciate knowing these things. To me there's more to skiing than
skiing.

Part II. I must admit that I saw sharks only once. Scared the hell out
of me. I learned my lesson not to go into deep water again.

IMHO, meeting 4 or 5 barracudas while snorkling at Cozumel last fall was
exiting enough.

However, my kids told me not to worry: "A barracuda attacks at up to 100
feet/second (i.e. 30 m/s, 110 km/h or 70 mph), so you won't ever see
the one that decides to hunt you."

Terje

--
-
Old March 7th 04, 12:03 AM
Diva

When I snorkeled in the keys a few years ago, I looked down on my way to =
the reef we had to swim to and saw them everywhere underneath me darting =
about. YIKES!!! They didn't bother any of us, though.

June

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message =
-JP- wrote:

Outdoor sports is a small-world family scene to an extent, so I
appreciate knowing these things. To me there's more to skiing than
skiing.

=20
=20
Part II. I must admit that I saw sharks only once. Scared the hell out
of me. I learned my lesson not to go into deep water again.

IMHO, meeting 4 or 5 barracudas while snorkling at Cozumel last fall was =

exiting enough.

However, my kids told me not to worry: "A barracuda attacks at up to 100 =

feet/second (i.e. 30 m/s, 110 km/h or 70 mph), so you won't ever see=20
the one that decides to hunt you."

Terje

--=20
-
Old March 7th 04, 01:57 AM
Chris Cline

--0-1174427192-1078624317=:47846

Hi All-
I've been out of town, and so I missed the "Gunde Awards"-- elections thru selection.
So (see how I hit the return key?) first let me say "Thanks" for nominating me for such
a prestigious honor. It truly means a lot coming from you all.

Also, since I now feel so much more like a member of the family, I'll bite, too on this
"other interests" thread. Here's my current list (changing always, somewhat like my
fitness level...):
trying to get moved into my new house, trying to decide what color to paint it (I wish
the choices were as simple as they are for waxing skis for a race ;- )
Playing music- guitar, drums
Running in the summer-- yes, I know it trashes my knees, but the mountains in
Salt Lake are just too close to pass up, and I feel like I have a target painted
on my back when riding in this city's traffic.
Backcountry skiing-- Again, with 10,000 ft mountains 10 miles from my house, it's tough
to pass up all that backcountry snow. but you guys (and a few more gals, too-- you go,
Diva!) are a lot more fun than the RS-Backcountry folks
My work-- I'm lucky enough to love my job, doing studies of the effects of contaminants
(mostly mining, lately) on wildlife.

thanks, and have a great weekend!

PS- if anyone uses the Yahoo mail reader and can tell me how to turn the HTML off, I
(and everyone else) would greatly appreciate it.

Chris(tine) Cline

Kenneth Salzberg wrote:
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jeff Potter wrote:

Outdoor sports is a small-world family scene to an extent, so I
appreciate knowing these things. To me there's more to skiing than
skiing.

OK, I'll bite: besides skiing, among other interests, I play old-tyme
banjo (frailing/clawhammer), and have for much longer than I've skied.
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104
Yahoo! Search - Find what youre looking for faster.
--0-1174427192-1078624317=:47846

DIVHi All-/DIV
DIVI've been out of town, and so I missed the "Gunde Awards"-- elections thru selection./DIV
DIVSo (see how I hit the return key?) first let me say "Thanks" for nominating me for such /DIV
DIVa prestigious honor.  It truly means a lot coming from you all./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVAlso, since I now feel so much more like a member of the family, I'll bite, too on this/DIV
DIV"other interests" thread.  Here's my current list (changing always, somewhat like my/DIV
DIVfitness level...):/DIV
DIVtrying to get moved into my new house, trying to decide what color to paint it (I wish/DIV
DIVthe choices were as simple as they are for waxing skis for a race ;- )/DIV
DIVPlaying music- guitar, drums/DIV
DIVRunning in the summer-- yes, I know it trashes my knees, but the mountains in /DIV
DIVSalt Lake are just too close to pass up, and I feel like I have a target painted/DIV
DIVon my back when riding in this city's traffic./DIV
DIVBackcountry skiing-- Again, with 10,000 ft mountains 10 miles from my house, it's tough/DIV
DIV to pass up all that backcountry snow.  but you guys (and a few more gals, too-- you go,/DIV
DIV Diva!) are a lot more fun than the RS-Backcountry folks/DIV
DIVMy work-- I'm lucky enough to love my job, doing studies of the effects of contaminants/DIV
DIV(mostly mining, lately) on wildlife./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVthanks, and have a great weekend!/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVPS- if anyone uses the Yahoo mail reader and can tell me how to turn the HTML off, I /DIV
DIV(and everyone else) would greatly appreciate it./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChris(tine) ClineBRBRBIKenneth Salzberg >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jeff Potter wrote:BRBR> Outdoor sports is a small-world family scene to an extent, so IBR> appreciate knowing these things. To me there's more to skiing thanBR> skiing.BRBROK, I'll bite: besides skiing, among other interests, I play old-tymeBRbanjo (frailing/clawhammer), and have for much longer than I've skied.BR-KenBRBR*************************************** ********************BRKenneth Salzberg
BRHamline University BRSchool of Law (651) 523-2354BR1536 Hewitt Ave.BRSisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104BR***************************************** *************************BRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
Yahoo! Search - a href="http://search.yahoo.com/?fr=ad-mailsig-home"Find what youre looking for faster./a
--0-1174427192-1078624317=:47846--

Old March 7th 04, 03:12 AM
Diva

Hey! Thanks, Chris.

June

"Chris Cline" wrote in message =
o.com...
--0-1174427192-1078624317=3D:47846

Hi All-
I've been out of town, and so I missed the "Gunde Awards"-- elections =
thru selection.
So (see how I hit the return key?) first let me say "Thanks" for =
nominating me for such=20
a prestigious honor. It truly means a lot coming from you all.
=20
Also, since I now feel so much more like a member of the family, I'll =
bite, too on this
"other interests" thread. Here's my current list (changing always, =
somewhat like my
fitness level...):
trying to get moved into my new house, trying to decide what color to =
paint it (I wish
the choices were as simple as they are for waxing skis for a race ;- )
Playing music- guitar, drums
Running in the summer-- yes, I know it trashes my knees, but the =
mountains in=20
Salt Lake are just too close to pass up, and I feel like I have a target =
painted
on my back when riding in this city's traffic.
Backcountry skiing-- Again, with 10,000 ft mountains 10 miles from my =
house, it's tough
to pass up all that backcountry snow. but you guys (and a few more =
gals, too-- you go,
Diva!) are a lot more fun than the RS-Backcountry folks
My work-- I'm lucky enough to love my job, doing studies of the effects =
of contaminants
(mostly mining, lately) on wildlife.
=20
thanks, and have a great weekend!
=20
PS- if anyone uses the Yahoo mail reader and can tell me how to turn the =
HTML off, I=20

Kenneth Salzberg wrote:
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jeff Potter wrote:

Outdoor sports is a small-world family scene to an extent, so I
appreciate knowing these things. To me there's more to skiing than
skiing.

OK, I'll bite: besides skiing, among other interests, I play old-tyme
banjo (frailing/clawhammer), and have for much longer than I've skied.
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104
Yahoo! Search - Find what youre looking for faster.
--0-1174427192-1078624317=3D:47846

DIVHi All-/DIV
DIVI've been out of town, and so I missed the "Gunde Awards"-- =
elections thru selection./DIV
DIVSo (see how I hit the return key?) first let me say "Thanks" for =
nominating me for such /DIV
DIVa prestigious honor.  It truly means a lot coming from you =
all./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVAlso, since I now feel so much more like a member of the family, =
I'll bite, too on this/DIV
DIV"other interests" thread.  Here's my current list (changing =
always, somewhat like my/DIV
DIVfitness level...):/DIV
DIVtrying to get moved into my new house, trying to decide what color =
to paint it (I wish/DIV
DIVthe choices were as simple as they are for waxing skis for a race =
;- )/DIV
DIVPlaying music- guitar, drums/DIV
DIVRunning in the summer-- yes, I know it trashes my knees, but the =
mountains in /DIV
DIVSalt Lake are just too close to pass up, and I feel like I have a =
target painted/DIV
DIVon my back when riding in this city's traffic./DIV
DIVBackcountry skiing-- Again, with 10,000 ft mountains 10 miles from =
my house, it's tough/DIV
DIV to pass up all that backcountry snow.  but you guys (and =
a few more gals, too-- you go,/DIV
DIV Diva!) are a lot more fun than the RS-Backcountry folks/DIV
DIVMy work-- I'm lucky enough to love my job, doing studies of the =
effects of contaminants/DIV
DIV(mostly mining, lately) on wildlife./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVthanks, and have a great weekend!/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVPS- if anyone uses the Yahoo mail reader and can tell me how to =
turn the HTML off, I /DIV
DIV(and everyone else) would greatly appreciate it./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChris(tine) ClineBRBRBIKenneth Salzberg =
>/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=3Dreplbq style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jeff Potter =
wrote:BRBR> Outdoor sports is a small-world family scene to an =
extent, so IBR> appreciate knowing these things. To me there's more =
to skiing thanBR> skiing.BRBROK, I'll bite: besides skiing, =
among other interests, I play old-tymeBRbanjo (frailing/clawhammer), =
and have for much longer than I've =
skied.BR-KenBRBR*************************************** ************=
********BRKenneth Salzberg
BRHamline University =
BRSchool of Law (651) 523-2354BR1536 Hewitt =
Ave.BRSisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN =
55104BR***************************************** ***********************=
**BRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=3D1
Do you Yahoo!?br
Yahoo! Search - a =
href=3D"http://search.yahoo.com/?fr=3Dad-mailsig-home"Find what youre =
looking for faster./a
--0-1174427192-1078624317=3D:47846--

Old March 7th 04, 11:06 AM
Terje Mathisen

Chris Cline wrote:
Running in the summer-- yes, I know it trashes my knees, but the mountains in
Salt Lake are just too close to pass up, and I feel like I have a target painted

They are nice, aren't they? :-)

Summer of '92, just before returning to Norway, I got the chance to join
the guy who'd invited me to come to Utah (Paul Turner) on a hike up to
Timp (i.e. Mt Timpanogous (spelling?)).

We took almost exactly two hours, getting up to the final ridge in time
for sunrise (_very_ pretty, let me tell you).

Up on the summit we met quite a few people who'd tented on the final
meadow and walked up, one of them asked us how long we taken. When we
replied '2 hours' he condescendingly told us hiw wife took just 1:50+ or
something.
:-)

Later he did admit that she was the current local triathlon champion.

Anyway, the only problems with trips like this is that you should have a
cable car to take you back down, those downhill jogging trips with tired
legs are murder on your knees and ankles. :-(

Terje
--
-
Old March 7th 04, 02:45 PM
Chris Cline

--0-1258732533-1078670167=:30919

Hi Terje-
Yes, Timp (Timpanogos, so you were close) is one of the nicer, longer hikes.
I did it with a group of XC folks one time, and as we were ski walking up the trail just
below the summit (cruising pretty fast, all in a line, all doing this wierd exaggerated
walking stride), some guy who was coming down told us we looked like "the
Keystone Cops on their way to a fire." Oh well. I don't remember our time to the top,
but I think the total trip (out & back, including 10-20 minutes on the summit) was on the
order of 4 hours.

Those downhills are a lot nicer in the spring, when there's still snow and you can glissade down! ;- )

Chris

Terje Mathisen wrote:
Chris Cline wrote:
[...]

DIVHi Terje-/DIV
DIVYes, Timp (Timpanogos, so you were close) is one of the nicer, longer hikes./DIV
DIVI did it with a group of XC folks one time, and as we were ski walking up the trail just /DIV
DIVbelow the summit (cruising pretty fast, all in a line, all doing this wierd exaggerated/DIV
DIVwalking stride), some guy who was coming down told us we looked like "the /DIV
DIVKeystone Cops on their way to a fire."  Oh well. I don't remember our time to the top,/DIV
DIVbut I think the total trip (out & back, including 10-20 minutes on the summit) was on the/DIV
DIVorder of 4 hours./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVThose downhills are a lot nicer in the spring, when there's still snow and you can glissade down! ;- )/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVChrisBRBRBITerje Mathisen >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"Chris Cline wrote:BR> Running in the summer-- yes, I know it trashes my knees, but the mountains in BR> Salt Lake are just too close to pass up, and I feel like I have a target paintedBRBRThey are nice, aren't they? :-)BRBRSummer of '92, just before returning to Norway, I got the chance to join BRthe guy who'd invited me to come to Utah (Paul Turner) on a hike up to BRTimp (i.e. Mt Timpanogous (spelling?)).BRBRWe took almost exactly two hours, getting up to the final ridge in time BRfor sunrise (_very_ pretty, let me tell you).BRBRUp on the summit we met quite a few people who'd tented on the final BRmeadow and walked up, one of them asked us how long we taken. When we BRreplied '2 hours' he condescendingly told us hiw wife took just 1:50+ or BRsomething.BR:-)BRBRLater he did admit that she was the current local triathlon
champion.BRBRAnyway, the only problems with trips like this is that you should have a BRcable car to take you back down, those downhill jogging trips with tired BRlegs are murder on your knees and ankles. :-(BRBRTerjeBR-- BR- BR"almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"BRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1

Old March 7th 04, 05:48 PM
Jeff Potter

Serge wrote:

There is so much in life than skiing...

No, I wrote "there's so much more to SKIING than just skiing." : )

To me, ski culture includes things like walking in the summer, canoeing,
sauna-ing, homebrew beer, single malts, music after an event, good food, meeting
new people...

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 7th 04, 05:54 PM
Jeff Potter

Don't poles really help take the pressure off? The only big fast downhill hike I did,
I soon stopped and cut two sapling poles and had a much better time from then on.

Old March 7th 04, 07:21 PM
Jeff Potter

Since my take is that there's more to skiing than skiing, I think one
aspect of this "other interests" angle is: how can we bring these things
into skiing?

....With beer, music and single malts, I see how it can work quite
nicely... : )

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 7th 04, 07:24 PM
Terje Mathisen

Jeff Potter wrote:

Don't poles really help take the pressure off? The only big fast downhill hike I did,
I soon stopped and cut two sapling poles and had a much better time from then on.

'Stop on cut sapling poles'?

On Timp? (3500 m asl!)

Sorry, very little growth up there. :-)

Terje