Other Interests

Old March 4th 04, 07:03 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

Default Other Interests

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jeff Potter wrote:

Outdoor sports is a small-world family scene to an extent, so I
appreciate knowing these things. To me there's more to skiing than
skiing.

OK, I'll bite: besides skiing, among other interests, I play old-tyme
banjo (frailing/clawhammer), and have for much longer than I've skied.
-Ken

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old March 4th 04, 07:38 PM
Brendon M. Troy

"Kenneth Salzberg" wrote
On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jeff Potter wrote:
Outdoor sports is a small-world family scene to an extent, so I
appreciate knowing these things. To me there's more to skiing than
skiing.

OK, I'll bite: besides skiing, among other interests, I play old-tyme
banjo (frailing/clawhammer), and have for much longer than I've skied.
-Ken

I've only started skiing this season (love it!), so I suppose I'm not
even qualified to answer this, but here's the abbreviated list:

-Road Cycling (I'm sure this is one of the most common off-season
activities, short of perhaps rollerskiing)
-Ultimate Frisbee
-Running, when I can make myself
-Enjoying good beer
-Reading, working, socializing, fixing up the house, and the millions of
other things that keep me away from the first five ;-)

-Brendon

Old March 4th 04, 09:09 PM
Terje Mathisen

Brendon M. Troy wrote:

"Kenneth Salzberg" wrote

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Jeff Potter wrote:

Outdoor sports is a small-world family scene to an extent, so I
appreciate knowing these things. To me there's more to skiing than
skiing.

OK, I'll bite: besides skiing, among other interests, I play old-tyme
banjo (frailing/clawhammer), and have for much longer than I've skied.
-Ken

I've only started skiing this season (love it!), so I suppose I'm not
even qualified to answer this, but here's the abbreviated list:

-Road Cycling (I'm sure this is one of the most common off-season
activities, short of perhaps rollerskiing)
-Ultimate Frisbee
-Running, when I can make myself
-Enjoying good beer
-Reading, working, socializing, fixing up the house, and the millions of
other things that keep me away from the first five ;-)

OK, here goes:

- I have two kids, 14 & 12. Those of you who are parents know what this
means. :-)

- Orienteering
- Rock climbing
- Group Leader of the Lilleaker Scout group
- Computers & digital photography, esp panoramas and high-res mosaics.
- Windsurfing on a small board when conditions are right (You know, gale
force & up. :-)
- I read quite a lot (50-100 english books/year)

Previously I've been into diving & gymnastics, volleyball (at 171 cm I
had to be the setter :-(), white water kayak, swimming & ham radio (I'm
la8nw).

The main/only problem is the one eloquently told by Piet Hein ("Kumbel")
in one of his Grooks:

T.T.T
Put up in a place
where it's easy to see
the cryptic admonishment
T.T.T.
When you feel how depressingly
slowly you climb,
it's well to remember that
Things Take Time.

Terje
--
-
Old March 5th 04, 12:24 PM
J999w

Previously I've been into diving & gymnastics, volleyball (at 171 cm I
had to be the setter :-(), white water kayak, swimming & ham radio (I'm
la8nw).

(snip)

Terje

There seems to be several ham radio ops on here !

John Wilke
WB9UAI
Milwaukee
Old March 5th 04, 03:23 PM
Serge

There is so much in life than skiing...
OK... What is it then?

Classical guitar (in the "Serenade" flute-guitar duo with my wife,
who is also a skier, albeit a slow one)

Road cycling (club rides 2 times weekly, races about 2 annually)

Speedskating inline (7 50K races during season)

Skiing (about 4-5 local races and every other weekend during snow)

Rollerskiing (2 times weekly in winter)

Kayaking (have a touring double, looking for a racing kayak now)
Old March 5th 04, 03:45 PM
Leland Yee

Skiing was the first aerobic (mostly) sport, besides hiking up mountains,
which I took up. That led to running and cycling. Also do flat water
canoeing, skating (mostly hockey), and bread baking. Reading RSN takes up
much of my time as well :-).

--
Leland Yee
Having fun (way) back in the pack.

ine.edu...

Old March 5th 04, 05:15 PM
Gene Goldenfeld

Serge wrote:

There is so much in life than skiing...
OK... What is it then?

Latin ("salsa") dancing.

Reading.

Looking for work.

Gene
Old March 5th 04, 05:35 PM
32 degrees

Family (3 kids ages 1,4,9 and wife)
Classical Guitar
Obsessing over Jim Harrison books - this is good stuff just ask Potter
Coaching - high school kids (CC running, CC skiing, Track and Field)
Digital Photography - especially macro and U.P. of MIchigan @
http://pasty.com/pcam/jeffkal
Maps

Jeff K

Old March 5th 04, 06:33 PM
SBull10152

Triathlon (192 finishes in 19 years...swim, bike, run

Orienteering (just started last fall)

Adventure racing ( Mt biking, paddling, trekking etc...just began)

Punk Rock Karaoke (At 46 years old I was stillI was a multiple times
champion....I can tear up a version of the Dead Boys "Sonic Redcer and What
Loves is" also have been known to rip off a stunning version of "Press BGang"
by the Murder City Devils )
Old March 5th 04, 06:43 PM
jim farrell

SBull10152 wrote:
Triathlon (192 finishes in 19 years...swim, bike, run

Orienteering (just started last fall)

Adventure racing ( Mt biking, paddling, trekking etc...just began)

Punk Rock Karaoke (At 46 years old I was stillI was a multiple times
champion....I can tear up a version of the Dead Boys "Sonic Redcer and What
Loves is" also have been known to rip off a stunning version of "Press BGang"
by the Murder City Devils )

do any Crass covers? How about minor threat?