Unni Odegard/always wear a helmet

Old August 25th 04, 01:08 AM
Jeff Potter

Jeff Potter wrote:

[ ] Even so I definitely note that our rural traffic gets heavy after work
gets out, so I don't do much riding, rollering then.

PS: Memo to myself... : )

On second thought, sometimes heavy traffic periods are fine for riding. I often ride on our main 50 mph road during rush hour.
It gets very predictable SLOW traffic patterns going which actually make for nice riding. 20 cars going 25-30mph roll by very
slowly---sometimes I can keep up. I always get a nice long draft. Then there's a minute gap of zero cars. This road has a wide
marked shoulder/bike-lane and is straight and clear sightlines. I usually wear my white helmet with blaze orange tape: lets me
be seen nicely over hoods and roofs of cars. I've ridden this road for 20 years. Oddly enough it has a bad rep with area
cyclists. I think people are just intimidated and ignorant.

People poke fun of and avoid canoeing on our local river, too---the Red Cedar. Nicknamed the Red Sewer. More ignorance. It's
actually pretty nice and quiet with great trees lining it for fall foliage. Two national canoe champs grew up on it. Real
paddlers paddle it all the time. It's great for skating on the black ice and skiing, too. No one ever uses it but us insiders,
though. Ignorants.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old August 26th 04, 09:47 PM
Jay Tegeder

Hey, keep posting on this topic... We need to set a record for the
longest thread. Plus, I like all of the arguing and nastiness that's
going on on this thread... Anyway, let's get this baby past 100. What
do ya think?

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT