Altitude problems with Diesel Cars?

Old October 10th 04, 10:38 AM
Simon Brown

The i explains why you don't get a problem at altitude. In winter an
additive is added (!) so that the diesel doesn't freeze but you'll notice
that the performance isn't so good.

It's really only older cars which get problems above 2,500m.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
Abairsty wrote:
Heard someone mentioning that diesel powered cars struggle at altitude,

does
anyone know if this is correct....seeing as im thinking of driving up to

val
Thorens?

My girlfriend has a Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDIs which I drive round the Alpes
with no problem at all, mostly that's summer use as I use my own 4wd in
the winter. I've heard of temperature problems with the fuel but I
*thought* that the modern mixes did not suffer from that problem.

Old October 10th 04, 11:04 AM
Simon Brown

Also cars are now overpowered, so even if you lose 25% of the car's
available power you'll probably not notice it.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old October 12th 04, 10:38 AM
Ace

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 11:40:01 +0200, David Off
wrote:

jph wrote:
"Adrian D. Shaw" a écrit dans le message de news:

I'm not sure that age matterst hat much either. A few years ago, driving
over the Passo dello Stelvio/Stilfserjoch (the highest ordinary road
pass in Europe at 2748 metres)

Maybe I'm fussy, but isn't it the Iseran a few meters higher ?

Dunno but the Col de la Bonette in the southern alps is 2802meters.

Indeed it is, with a little loop at the top that goes another 40m
higher. Did it on the bike in August with some mates.

One of them did suffer with fuelling a bit, but that was due to the
flatslides on his ZX7RR being badly set up - you could smell the
excess petrol at sea level and it was a lot worse high up with the
less dense air leading to an even richer mixture.

Made it over OK, but it wouldn't pull properly below about 6k rpm.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old October 13th 04, 05:40 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Ace :
Indeed it is, with a little loop at the top that goes another 40m
higher. Did it on the bike in August with some mates.

I actually googled this before I posted; Bonnette is from what I can
tell lower than Stelvio except taht a spur goes off to a higher point.
The real "pass" is not higher.

At least that's what I read on some web site!

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old October 15th 04, 12:26 PM
J.B. Memascii

wrote:
jph wrote:
"Adrian D. Shaw" a écrit dans le message de news:

I'm not sure that age matterst hat much either. A few years ago, driving
over the Passo dello Stelvio/Stilfserjoch (the highest ordinary road
pass in Europe at 2748 metres)

snip
One of them did suffer with fuelling a bit, but that was due to the
flatslides on his ZX7RR being badly set up - you could smell the
excess petrol at sea level and it was a lot worse high up with the
less dense air leading to an even richer mixture.

Made it over OK, but it wouldn't pull properly below about 6k rpm.

My old 600 Bindat suffered the same problem. In retrospect it might
have been carb icing rather than the bad carburation I attributed
it to at the time. Nobody I was with had any problems.

Dunno about Diesels, but some of them definitely smell as if
somethings not right at altitude.

Iain.